Brand new set of Pearl maple Vision drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new set of Pearl maple Vision drums

I just traded in my twenty year old set of Yamaha Stage Customs for a brand new set of Pearl maple Vision drums, regular five drum set, in a beautiful bright red sparkle lacquer finish.

I put Remo clear pin stripes on the toms and an Emperor on the snare. I also put an Aquarian SuperKick II on the bass drum. I have Zildjan "K" cymbals and a "A" ride. I also have a Pearl mahogany (( guess) piccolo snare with an Ambassador stock head.

After some tuning on my part I have been able to get most of the ringing out of the pin stripe tom heads. I would still like to be able to get a cleaner, more mellow sound out of my toms, without a lot of discordant counter resonating sound distracting me. I have always liked pin stripes, but do you have any suggestions for heads that will help eliminate this ringing type discordance that I'm hearing? I like to have a clear, mellow, thud'ish tom shound without any high pitched ringing.

These are some really nice drums from my point of view as a person that just plays his drums in my drum room. I play along to cd's listened to thru a good guitar amp with a cd input. I can play as loud as I want but I'm not a slammer. I play moderately loud to quietly when playing very late at night, so as not to wake up the neighbors, but we live in a sparsely populated rural area and have a huge property. I play quality rock and have a natural talent for playing drums. Blues especially like me, especially blues rock.

Are these drums of excellent quality? They seem to be very high quality. I got the set for 499 US brand new, with the new heads included, out the door. I want to make sure that I got a really decent set, based on the professional opinion of someone that knows about this type of thing. I have been playing for probably forty years, but am not an expert on drum quality. When I get my rig to produce the mellow tones that I like, I'm happy and I'm not hard on my equipment.

These red sparkle Pearls are super fun to play, I must add. I play them every day and also play guitar every day. Needless to say, I'm retired and have time to devote to my entertainment.

Your feedback is absolutely appreciated. Thanks in advance. I know there are a lot of questions here, but I guess you have plenty of time to answer them. Thanks again.
    "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

I'll be anxious to hear your reaction to the new Vision kit as you have more playing time on it. I have played Yamaha Stage Customs too and I think they're also very nice drums. Keep us updated......Oh, and pics when you can :-)
    oldstroke in CA

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 1Duffy1; 10-13-2013, 03:57 PM.
      "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Comment

Quality drums for sure. Look and sound great and for the price, they're about the best value going.
        Guru Tour padauk segmented
        Tama Star walnut and maple kits (indigo sen/emerald curly maple)
        Tama Starclassic Bubinga Select (marbled green metallic)
        Tama Starclassic walnut/birch (jade silk)
        Sonor Pro Lite blue sparkle

Comment

I'm just loving the new drums.

I have been going thru the tuning debacle with the new Pin Stripe heads. I thought I knew how to tune drums but I now know that I have more than a lot to learn, especially after reading, "The Drum Tuning Bible". I have been working on my tuning and I'm sure I still have a ways to go. I have the Pin Stripes sounding really good - with the Remo-rings.

Tomorrow I'm thinking very seriously about downloading the iPhone app called "iDrumTech" that I read about. It is supposed to be a great tuning aid. Any feedback on this app would be appreciated. Is it half way decent?

Tomorrow I'm also adding a really nice feature to my new kit - I'm picking up my new "K" Dark Medium Thin eighteen inch crash cymbal and a new Pearl 1000 series boom cymbal stand. I'm really looking forward to this because I have not bought a new cymbal in twenty years and I think the new drum set deserves another nice cymbal. Out the door cost of the cymbal and stand, brand new, is $430, which is indeed no small sum, but it is a good deal on the items purchased. Actually this one cymbal and stand is only $70 less than the cost of my NOS red sparkle five piece Vision kit with new Pin Stripes, and an Emperor snare head included. So, one cymbal/stand cost me almost as much as my brand new set of drums.

My existing cymbals are what I purchased when I bought my old Stage Customs - a real nice set of "K" Custom thirteen inch hi hats, an "A" Custom ride, and a "K" Thin crash. It would have been nice to have some additional cymbals over all those years, but I made do.

It seems to me now that one of the defining marks of a master drummer is the ability to demonstrate great finesse on the cymbals. It is almost like another completely different skill. I always am working on my cymbal skills and really admire drummers that blow my mind with their unbelievable cymbal work. So, I'll be working on my cymbal skills too, needless to say.

So, in addition to getting some time in playing my new drums (I've made a lot of progress and lost some of the rust), I'm able to add a cymbal to the set. I'm working on my tuning skills, which I thought were pretty good and now I realize that I have a lot to learn. I don't know if the "IDrumTech" app will help with tuning or not. If not maybe I'll try a tune-bot. I really thought I had a pretty good ear for tuning; I guess I fooled myself. My next set of heads might be the new Evans 360 EC2SST's. They are reportedly very easy to tune. Oh yeah, during all my tuning excercises I have found some really sweet spots in a couple of the drums. I'm going to keep working at this skill, which I'm sure is an art that is partly "given" and partly learned thru hard, time consuming work. If the new Evans head technology makes it easier and faster, I'm ready to give it a try; even though I've been a Pin Stripe fan for a long time.

After I get the new cymbal worked into the set I'll take some more pictures.

Comment

Very nice, continue to enjoy!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
            8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
            Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
              Very nice, continue to enjoy!
              Thanks. I really dig my new set.

I noticed you haven't mentioned any of your cymbals in your gear list. I can only imagine that you have some really nice alloys, hammerings, etc.

Comment

Welcome Duffy and awesome set you have there, I know, because I had one just like it a little while back. I wouldn't have let them go except I lucked into a deal on some Session Customs I had wanted even longer.

A little bit of trivia for you on that kit in case you need it in the future. The shells are at, or near at least, Masters quality. They are commonly referred to as the Vision "VMX" line and that is in a #362 red sparkle lacquer finish. They sold like hot cakes when they first came out because many thought they sounded as good as a Masters kit and supposedly affected sales of the Masters line because they were alot cheaper That's one of the rumors floating around anyway. Thought you would find the info useful/ interesting.

Edit: By the way, that was a really good buy for new at that price. They are getting harder to find and new is awesome. They were discontinued around 2006 but you can still special order (I think) additional toms if the notion strikes you.
                Last edited by Johnboy 5000; 10-31-2013, 06:49 PM.
                Pearl Masters (MCX) Mocha Tamo
                Pearl Session Custom (SMX) Green Burst
                Zildjian A & K Customs
                Originally posted by ashmaple
                ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy 5000 View Post
                  Welcome Duffy and awesome set you have there, I know, because I had one just like it a little while back. I wouldn't have let them go except I lucked into a deal on some Session Customs I had wanted even longer.

A little bit of trivia for you on that kit in case you need it in the future. The shells are at, or near at least, Masters quality. They are commonly referred to as the Vision "VMX" line and that is in a #362 red sparkle lacquer finish. They sold like hot cakes when they first came out because many thought they sounded as good as a Masters kit and supposedly affected sales of the Masters line because they were alot cheaper That's one of the rumors floating around anyway. Thought you would find the info useful/ interesting.

Edit: By the way, that was a really good buy for new at that price. They are getting harder to find and new is awesome. They were discontinued around 2006 but you can still special order (I think) additional toms if the notion strikes you.

Johnboy, I really appreciate that info on my Vision red sparkle drum set. I didn't know that they were especially nice. I also didn't know that they were that old. They sat stacked in a local music shop, a professional supply house type regional music store that has rentals and full range services and accessories in addition to a few brands of each main instrument and amps. They are no longer a Pearl drums dealer. When I asked why they said that they sold relatively few sets compared to Mapex, one of their lines. He said they sold five sets of Mapex drums compared to one set of Pearl.

I found that Pearl drums are really nice and have felt that way. I have a Pearl mahogany thirteen inch piccolo snare that I bought at Dale's Drum Shop in Harrisburg, a major national dealer and regional landmark. I got it for $99 in a big sale about seven years ago. He had purchased a huge stock of these snares, possibly all of Pearl's stock of the discontinued line. He does things like that. I also bought a set of three professional grade conga drums from him, Sonor's, for $100 each, including the individual basket stands that are so cool compared to the tripod double stand. I got the professional sizes, I think 12, 11.75, and 10.5 inches; chrome rims and heavy chrome hardware. Real heavy duty Buffalo heads. He had bought all of Sonor's stock of the discontinued line and passed on the savings to his customers. He has a house converted to a store and a few big warehouses. I like to give them business but they are like over 85 miles away, but my 22 year old son lives in Harrisburg so I should buy something there next time I visit him. Dale's is a Pearl dealer.

The salesman at the local store by me said he thought the red sparkle Visions were about 2011's or 2012's. He wanted to sell them and gave me a great deal. He must have known they were older than he told me they were. I don't mind, I got some great drums. He was off by quite a few years and he also didn't know how to tune Pin Stripes very well and I actually have done a better tuning job. I have a lot to learn about tuning also, by the way. Anyway the drums are in mint brand new condition. I don't know why no one bought them. I think a lot of people are buying the natural wood and stained finishes and that they assume that the sparkles are wraps.

I played tonight for about three hours and worked off some more of that rustiness that sat in from not playing for about four years to any significant extent. I also worked a different amp into my drum room to plug my cd player into so I can jam along to cd's. I have been using a Crate Flexwave 15R with a Celestion Seventy/80 speaker I put in it - very clean sounding and decent. However, tonight I decided to get my 30 watt Crate "Gunnison" acoustic guitar amp out and I'm glad I did because it is way more high fidelity with it's cd circuit. It even has a cd level knob and a cd tweeter level knob. This really works out great for playing cd's compared to the other amp. The sound is incredible and powerful. I played a Bob Dylan and the Band double live cd, "Before the Flood" or something about a flood. Great high fidelity live recording of a concert in 1974, or a series of concerts. It has a lot of great songs on it like, "The Weight", "Like a Rolling Stone", "Just Like a Woman", "Stage Fright", "All Along the Watchtower", etc. I found these songs great for me to jam to. Levon Helms was a great drummer, maybe a unique style drummer, but good. So the amplification for the jamming music is greatly improved. I might bring my laptop up there and hook up a mic and try to record myself playing to some backing tracks.

Question: Can I record myself jamming to a Bob Dylan/Band cd, for instance (copyrighted material) and post the audio file or video file to this forum without violating the rules or getting in trouble? Is this type of thing typically done? I don't want to do something that is illegal obviously. Since this is for educational purposes I think it might be legal. After all, we are educating each other on the forum right?

Anyway, tomorrow I pick up the "K" Dark Medium Light eighteen inch crash and the Pearl 1000 series boom stand. I'm looking forward to this.

I might also download the iPhone app "iDrumTech" tomorrow as well. It is supposed to have a great tuning function something like a tune bot. Has anyone used it that can tell me if it is a decent tuning tool and good app in general?

Well Johnboy, I definitely appreciate the info you gave me on my drums. I don't think I would have known that info for quite a while and I was wondering when the drums were made. I don't see many of them in the forums I visit. I can't believe I actually have a beautiful set of red sparkle lacquer drums.

Even two months ago I wouldn't have believed it if someone told me I'd have a sparkle set of drums now. I thought they were all wraps and didn't especially like sparkle finishes until I found out that they had two sets, a Gretch and these Pearls in red sparkle lacquer. That changed my perspective on sparkle finishes. Change is definitely good. I am very happy with the red sparkle finish. Going from dark walnut type woodgrain stain to these bright sparkly drums is a change I can appreciate. They light the drum room right up. The red and chrome go really well together.

I don't know what's next for this set, but they will be getting played a lot. My new remodeled drum room is really nice with half carpet and half new solid pressure treated stained wood planks, wood trim, handmade shelves we made out of solid wood, etc.
                  Last edited by 1Duffy1; 10-31-2013, 09:35 PM. Reason: Corecttins

Comment

Most on here upload their drum covers, or "playalongs" if you will, to youtube. There are some popular audio only websites if you just want to upload audio and not video. I'm not sure which of those sites are the best so I won't mention any and leave that to someone who knows better. You can't post audio/ video here per se, but links to your material on other sites is okay.

I wouldn't sweat the fact that your drums are a little older than the guy thought or said. If anything, that makes them more valuable. You don't see many of those kits (for sale used) anymore because guys tend to hold onto them. The shells are 100% maple awesomeness. I ran Evans heads on mine, G2 over G1 (all clear), and loved them. Warm maple tone can't be beat

The only thing you might want to do down the road is change the ISS mounts (what you have now mounted to the rims on the toms) to Optimounts that mount on the tension rods instead. The ISS mounts can seemingly effect tuning a little with the weight of the shells hanging on the rims. The effect is pretty minor but you may see a slight difference if you tune off of the mount, hang the drum then re-check your readings. Btw, I'm not familiar with that app as I have a tunebot but I have read some good things about it.

Look em up as new on Ebay (there are a few but not many) and you will see how much they sell for lately. You got a really good deal IMHO.

I feel like I said alot but you still have me beat as your quite a writer. Enjoy those Visions!
                    Zildjian A & K Customs
                    ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

Comment

Most on here upload their drum covers, or "playalongs" if you will, to youtube. There are some popular audio only websites if you just want to upload audio and not video. I'm not sure which of those sites are the best so I won't mention any and leave that to someone who knows better. You can't post audio/ video here per se, but links to your material on other sites is okay.

I wouldn't sweat the fact that your drums are a little older than the guy thought or said. If anything, that makes them more valuable. You don't see many of those kits (for sale used) anymore because guys tend to hold onto them. The shells are 100% maple awesomeness. I ran Evans heads on mine, G2 over G1 (all clear), and loved them. Warm maple tone can't be beat

The only thing you might want to do down the road is change the ISS mounts (what you have now mounted to the rims on the toms) to Optimounts that mount on the tension rods instead. The ISS mounts can seemingly effect tuning a little with the weight of the shells hanging on the rims. The effect is pretty minor but you may see a slight difference if you tune off of the mount, hang the drum then re-check your readings. Btw, I'm not familiar with that app as I have a tunebot but I have read some good things about it.

Look em up as new on Ebay (there are a few but not many) and you will see how much they sell for lately. You got a really good deal IMHO.

I feel like I said alot but you still have me beat as your quite a writer. Enjoy those Visions!

I don't mean to be overly lengthy in my posts, but I get started on a subject and I think I have to elaborate on it. It seems like there is a story behind everything and some of them are interesting and informative. We all have different experiences in life and can share them with others that will never have those experiences. Other people have experienced things that I will never experience. Knowing about some of these things I find can be enlightening. I always listen to a bull$hitter because there is always something in their line of BS that I can learn from. Hard to find facts like those you provided me with are very useful and expounding on the details is always interesting because there is usually a story behind the story - such as in the theories of why the red sparkles are somewhat of a rarity, and Pearl corporate strategy.

I suppose the drum industry is "highly" competitive and I can understand why the reps let out some info, which is very useful, but protect their internal corporate decision making sometimes close to home. It is probably somewhat of a struggle to survive in such a highly competitive industry where your competitors are really good at what they do.

I think I mentioned my next set of heads is going to probably be the new Evans 360 EC2SST's with the perimeter control zone inked on the bottom. I'll probably get the clear ones. I have been drawn towards the Black Chrome ones, but I think that they would not let the maple tone be accentuated. I think that a lot of the tone is going to be the heads themselves with the Black Chromes; plus I'm not a heavy hitter. When I played tonight for about three hours I played at a very moderate but not light level. During the day, probably tomorrow I'll probably hit harder but I still won't be slamming. I play blues rock and enjoyed playing that Bob Dylan/Band version of rock, sometimes folk rockish. I like their material more along the heavier lines like, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", and "Watchtower". Levi Helm does some fairly heavy hitting in some of the songs on that cd. Also the blues drummers on Albert Collins' cd's are really great drummers but are not slammers.

I was listening to "The Life Adventures of Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield" today and whoever that drummer is he really gets into some serious playing, such as on the song, "Dear Mr. Fantasy" - definitely not the Traffic style of drumming at all. Some of these blues drummers are my favorites but I can't fathom half the $hit they are doing, and they are fast, intricate, and very musical.

I try to play in a musical type of way with a fair amount of intricacy rather than a straight line. The more I play these maple drums the more musical I sound; I'm working my toms and cymbals more and getting a better hi hat action, plus a stronger, integrated foot. My coordination is definitely improving and I plan to play regularly and tighten up my coordination. It seems like sometimes when I just let myself go and I'm not really specifically trying to play a certain way, that I let go a little and my coordination is more smooth and musical sounding. I'm getting to the point where I can let myself relax and let go a little, from time to time - especially on songs that I have a good understanding of the rhythm.

Being an at home drummer mostly, I can play however I want to and work on things that I'm not especially strong in. One of these days I'll go to the open mic they have around here at the American Legion on Wednesday afternoons. I figure they should know at least one Dylan song off that double album.

I need to get some sleep so I can enjoy that new cymbal tomorrow.

It sounds like you have some awesome drums. Are you located in the tourist towns of the Gulf of Mexico? I grew up in a tourist town in Northern NY, Lake George. The bands were from NYC and in order to get a gig you had to be super good, so some of the local bands are really good - or else you don't get a gig, period. This should be your big season coming up if you are a gigging musician.
                      Last edited by 1Duffy1; 10-31-2013, 11:53 PM.

Comment

And boy can I BS

I once tried a combo of an Evans EC2 batter with an EC Reso, both having the overtone control rings near the rims. I was shocked to hear just how much it seemed to choke the drum down to very little sustain, just a thud sound heh, kinda expected though. I was much happier when I used a G1 (one ply) reso with no tone control ring instead. Just Fyi. In fact, it was on one of my VMX shells just like yours that I conducted that little experiment.

I'm actually located in a rural area between Corpus Christi and Houston in Texas. Right on the Water so to speak. So yeah, pretty much a tourist location, but unfortunately not a gigging drummer right now. I have had a couple of invites to practice with some guys and I'm just now getting in a position to take them up on it so hopefully real soon.

Zildjian K's rock btw
                        Zildjian A & K Customs

Comment

And boy can I BS

I once tried a combo of an Evans EC2 batter with an EC Reso, both having the overtone control rings near the rims. I was shocked to hear just how much it seemed to choke the drum down to very little sustain, just a thud sound heh, kinda expected though. I was much happier when I used a G1 (one ply) reso with no tone control ring instead. Just Fyi. In fact, it was on one of my VMX shells just like yours that I conducted that little experiment.

I'm actually located in a rural area between Corpus Christi and Houston in Texas. Right on the Water so to speak. So yeah, pretty much a tourist location, but unfortunately not a gigging drummer right now. I have had a couple of invites to practice with some guys and I'm just now getting in a position to take them up on it so hopefully real soon.

Zildjian K's rock btw

I picked up my Z Dark Medium Thin eighteen inch crash and Pearl 1000 series boom stand today. I was wrong. The total price was only $330 out the door. It was a great deal.

Anyway, a young man was in the store when I showed up and he was buying some Evans 360 heads in a pack. I asked him what they were and he said that they are Black Chromes. He just bought his first set of Pearl Forum drums and these heads. He says he is glad that they are going to be very heavy on the thud sound because of neighbors. He sounded excited and I wished him luck.

It sounds like the Black Pearls would work good in a situation where you have neighbors. The deep muted thud might keep his volume down.

I think that the Black Chromes would be too muted for me. The Pin Stripes last night with the Remo-rings worked really good when I was jamming moderately loud to that Dylan/Band "After the Flood" or something flood, double cd. I thought I was getting some decent tone from the Pin Stripes and I did a lot of rolling off onto the toms and even some mainly tom rhythms during, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down". Even my sixteen inch floor tom had good tone and full and deep.

I had cataract surgery on Tuesday and my eye is just coming around. I can't believe how good I can see without glasses and they still have to do the other eye. I'm wearing plain Walmart driving sunglasses and can see very well. The other eye will be operated on the twelfth and I'm hoping my vision will be really great. I have been wearing glasses since I was five years old. I don't even need glasses now, except for reading, and they still have to do the other eye.

Because of all this eye stress I'm tired and I'm going to take a nap. I was so excited about picking up the new cymbal today that I didn't get much of any sleep last night, so I might not get to play the new cymbal until later tonight or tomorrow. The cymbal and stand are beautiful. I can't wait to set it up and start working it into my jams. Gotta rest now though, I'm exhausted and we did all kinds of shopping and running around today so far.

It sounds like you live in a nice area.

Comment

I added a Zildjian eighteen inch K dark crash and a B2000 boom stand for it. The boom stand I mentioned before, the B1000 turned out to be a C1000 straight cymbal stand. I decided to keep it and got the B2000 counterbalanced boom stand for 70 dollars, brand new, out the door because of the mess up. A super good deal for sure.

I also picked up another B2000 Pearl boom stand at a really good price of 120 out the door.

The dark crash fits in really well with my rig.

I have yet to set up the new boom but I think I will put it on my ride cymbal. I also found a Sabian 18 inch AAX dark crash that I like and it is 160, which seems like a good deal. Maybe I'll get one of them soon and have a few great cymbals to play with.

I am playing every day or two and consistently improving. Some of the old songs I still can't play as good as I used to.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Duffy1 View Post

I might also download the iPhone app "iDrumTech" tomorrow as well. It is supposed to have a great tuning function something like a tune bot. Has anyone used it that can tell me if it is a decent tuning tool and good app in general?

Well Johnboy, I definitely appreciate the info you gave me on my drums. I don't think I would have known that info for quite a while and I was wondering when the drums were made. I don't see many of them in the forums I visit. I can't believe I actually have a beautiful set of red sparkle lacquer drums.
                              Did you purchase Idrumtech? Curious about your thoughts. I bought it when it first launched and haven't really gotten a chance to fully use it. It seems more complicated than I expected.
                              Jorge

sigpic

VBL 12x9, 14x12, 16x14, 22x18

Comment

Working...
                              X