Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using Visions for steady gigging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a picture of a "mini-kit" I've been using in performance for the last two years. It employs a Schlagwerks pedal with a Sela cajon. The toms (8" and 10") are a pair of very cheap ($70 including the stand) Tama Swingstars. Don't ask about the snare....I was just trying it out (I returned it the next day!) When our performance is acoustic and demands a very small percussion footprint (smaller than my Vision Bop Kit,) this is what I use. You might be surprised at the sound produced by the cajon when mic'd and properly eq'd. It's pretty damn good coming through the subs!

Click image for larger version

Name:	11217591_10202785650842509_4389001416359274615_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	5201136
    oldstroke in CA

Comment

• Here's a photo of the lacquer kit from a performance last week....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	5209795
      oldstroke in CA

Comment

• And here's my same kit in White Strata Pearl. Al Percival tells me this is one of only twenty produced in the 18-inch kick.....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImbLvDt+SiaMTpgd0pFatw.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	5211779
        oldstroke in CA

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (7).jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	5211781Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (9).jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	5211782Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (5).jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	5211783Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (8).jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	5211784

Love that White Strata Pearl Oldstroke! Mine has the Cherry Finish. I modified the kit with an Arti Dixson base drum lift so that the beater hits the center of head, opti-mount for the tom, die cast rims for the snare (night and day difference in sound) and of course, drum heads. I know these bop vision kits were a limited edition and I am curious to how many totally were made.(?) I use this kit with my band and couldn't be happier! So easy to set up and tear down and does so well in confined spaces!

Comment

• I miss my old Vision kit a lot. Definitely didn't sound as good as the DW Performance I have now but it was the first decent kit I ever bought with my own money. Here's an old setup pic. I could buy it back but I don't really have the money or space for it right now. Maybe one day.
            Attached Files
            Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

Selling a minty 14x6.5 Ian Paice Signature Snare! DM for info!

Comment

• Nice kit Mitch! Heard a lot of good things about those DW Performance kits. Hope your enjoying them!

Comment

• Hi TMdrums. Beautiful red kit! Instead of a lift kit, I had a friend cut the shafts of the beaters I use. We share something else in common: I'm using a K Custom ride for my projects these days.
                oldstroke in CA

Comment

• Originally posted by oldstroke227 View Post
                  Hi TMdrums. Beautiful red kit! Instead of a lift kit, I had a friend cut the shafts of the beaters I use. We share something else in common: I'm using a K Custom ride for my projects these days.
                  Interesting adjustment on modifying the beater height. Never thought of that. I would think that would alter the feel of the kick pedal...no? I alternate from my 21 "K Custom Special Dry Ride and 21" Sweet Ride. Enjoy them both!

Comment

• Can't believe this thread is still up near the top....or maybe I can...

With the recent purchase of my Sessions the Vision kit has been put away until such time as I actually start playing live again. Sessions are not leaving my studio, and the Visions are perfect for live shows....

Now I just need to find a 22x18 kick in Ruby Fade Eucalyptus.....

Kit Pix
                    Pearl | Aquarian | Zildjian | Vater | Yamaha
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TMdrums View Post
                      Interesting adjustment on modifying the beater height. Never thought of that. I would think that would alter the feel of the kick pedal...no? I alternate from my 21 "K Custom Special Dry Ride and 21" Sweet Ride. Enjoy them both!
                      Yes indeed! My 20" K Custom Dry Ride is perfect for my current project. I would occasionally like to use my 19" Armand Beautiful Baby, but our current song list is better served by the K. In looking back at this thread I have to agree the early Visions were a real bargain and performed very well live and in the studio... Clearly excellent supervision from the folks in Japan of the factory in China. Al Percival told me my 18" kick in WMP was one of just a handful brought into the US. TMDrums: What are you using for hats?
                      Attached Files
                      oldstroke in CA

Comment

• 14" Z New Beats. Been using them since the 70's and still love the versitalty of them. I recently added a 21" 20th Anniversary A Custom Zildjian Ride to my collection and enjoying it very much. Love that picture of your set up by the way!

Comment

Working...
                        X