New Bass Drum Batter Head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bass Drum Batter Head.

ok, so my old one is the stock head and I seriously need to upgrade. Any Ideas on what head sounds good on a Pearl Vision??

Im thinking of getting the Remo Powersonic. Is it good anyone?
    Pearl Vision VSX Strata Black
    CLICK HERE !
    :cool:

emad or emad 2, either way you have a winner, just depends wheather u want more tone or thud
    "To the heart of me and your spilling grief, To answer to a God who never answers you"
    Oceansize

Brass Sensitone & cymbals

Comment

The Powersonic is great, I've liked it a lot. But it is a bit quiet - the construction and heavy muffling seriously limits the volume output of the head. It's great for miked situations though, but if you're using your kit to just play, I'd recommend the old trusty Remo Powerstroke 3. The PS3 has never failed me.

Comment

emad+vision=awesome.

Comment

New Bass Drum Batter Head

I put an EMAD2 on my 24" VLX and it was a very, very good improvement from the factory head, which should be no real surprise. I also use a Remo Muff'l on the reso side (which allows me to keep my bass drum empty), with a 6" Holz. (I need to install another 6" Holz. I believe this will 1. help reduce the slightly noticeable boom, 2. contribute to a more defined thud which I think is better and easier for bass drum microphone usage both live and in the studio, and 3. not detract from volume as opposed to stuffing it with something.)

I almost got the Aquarian SuperKick II. It was an extremely difficult choice.

Prior to my purchase, a buddy of mine told me he went through THREE EMAD2s in a row. On all of them, the "tray" that holds the foamy, black ring cracked at the very bottom by the pedal. He said it cracked in such a way that it would rattle. My buddy gigs a lot, and he tried to fix it himself with a very special glue, with not much luck.

He also said he wrote to Evans 2 times complaining about it and, if I remember correctly, never got a response. He said he loves the sound, but thinks it could be made better, with more durability.

Despite his sour experience, I went with the EMAD2 anyway simply because I am not in a band (yet) and felt that by the time it happens to me, if it happens to me, that I would go with a new head.

By the way, for years and years I used only the Aquarian Response II head (before it became the SuperKick series) on the bass drum, and have always been completely satisfied. I suppose I just wanted to try something new with the EMAD2.

I also briefly considered the Remo Powersonic head. Let me explain:

I test drove the most popular heads that were installed on the different drum sets on the showroom floor at a Guitar Center near me. I didn't care for the "slappy" plastic snap noticeable on the attack - it sounded a lot like the Remo Pinstripe for toms. I didn't like it. I imagine it would probably work more for those drummers who want that hardcore heavy metal smack. Or not. I don't know, but it juuuust wasn't quite it for me.

Hope this helps.
          OLD: 1985 Premeir APK Royale, Black. Tri-Star stands.
          11x12, 12x13, 16x16, 18x22, 6.5x14 chrome.

NEW: 2007 Pearl Vision VLX, Ruby Fade. DR-503C, H-2000, S-2000, and 5xCH-2000S, 1xCH2000, DW 5000 dbl, DW 9100AL throne, round.
          8x10, 9x12, 11x14TT, 16x16FT, 18x24, Chad Smith.

sigpic

Comment

EQ3 clear...love the sound i get from mine
            Masters MCX Black Sparkle Fade

22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 16x16

Pearl : Remo : Zildjian : ProMark : Protection Racket

"Simplicity is not Stupidity" - Steve Jordan

Comment

EMAD2 sounds amazing on my Vision VBX
              Pearl>>Sabian>>Vic Firth

Comment

i have an EMAD2 on my 20", i put on the thicker foam ring and just throw in a cotton bed sheet up against the head. i still get the boom but i still get lots of punch too. its a great skin. i would never change to another one
                Updated pics of the Drum kit

Comment

EMAD 1/ Aquarian Force 2 resonant for me on my 1990 EXs.
                  MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
                  CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Emad1

Go for the Emad1 mate, best bass drum head

on my SJC i don't even need any muffling inside my bass drum after i added the EMAD1.

Comment

If you play out miked, EMAD.

If you play out unmiked, PS3. Tune for booooom, you need it to cut through.

To my ear the Powersonic is too muffled for any use other than to remove all tone without the necessity of stuffing the drum with futons.
                      Pearl ECX

New to tuning? Check these out:

Tuning toms Tuning Snares Tuning bass drums Why reso heads are important

Too much snare buzz? See this, then this.

Comment

Ps3.
                        sigpic
                        Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Comment

Powerstroke 3 is quite possibly the most versatile head Remo makes. It's a fantastic bass head, ranging from a fantastic jazz/bebop tuning to a punchy metal tuning. I've never had a single complaint.
                          sigpic

It's important to play the spaces. Silence can speak so loudly.
                          Carter Beauford, modern drummer september 1997
                          Originally posted by MisterMixelpix
                          Yeah I gotta admit she managed to tune her cymbals pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                          X