Vison VSX Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vison VSX Tuning

Hey sorry if this kind of thing has probably already been posted buut the search function is kindof ******ed on my computer.

Soo im kindof new to the whole acoustic drum tuning thing and i recently got a nice 4 piece gun metal sparkle VSX kit at my local music store
    Haha it already sounds good even with my crappy tuning job!

Buut I was wondering if you guys had any tips for tuning or what kindof tuning you guys find make the kit sound the best (to your ear).

Ive got the 12 inch tom, 14 inch snare, 16 inch floor tom, and 22 inch bass.

Thanks for any help!
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Pearl Vision VSX in Gunmetal Sparkle
    Pearl Hardware & Pedals & Heads
    Vic Firth/Pro Mark/Regal Tip

You'll only learn tuning by doing more tuning. Take one drum, let's say the 14" tom, set it on your lap so your leg mutes the resonant head, and tune the batter head one small turn at a time by tapping close to the edge of the head, right next to the tuning rods. You'll hear that not all taps are the same pitch. Try to get them all the same pitch, so that you hear as little of that wobble kind of sound when you tap the head. Once the batter head is in tune, turn the drum around and tune the resonant head in the same fashion. When you have a good overall sound in your 14" tom, tune the 12" and 16" in a similar fashion to a distance in pitch you see most fit.

I like my batter head about as loose as it makes a decent sound at. Once the head is stretched out, I loosen it so loose it gets wrinkles. Then I start tuning it up to a pitch it sounds low but doesn't make any disharmonic noises, in other words sounds clean. Then I tune the resonant head about a quart higher. That gives me nice sustain, fast attack and bright sound.

The bass drum I like tuned pretty tight, the reso head tighter than the batter. This gives me good pedal response, and nice round boom.

To better understand how drums make their sound, take a look at sympathetic resonance on google or wikipedia. Shortly put, it's when multiple objects (drumheads and drum shell) vibrate in unison. You'll come to understand that no object has just one frequency it vibrates at, but multiple mixed in between each other. Some frequencies can dominate others, but that doesn't mean the diminished ones aren't there at all. Different tunings can emphasize or diminuate certain frequency ranges, changing how the drum acts.

Comment

What he said plus at the bottom of some member signatures there are links to drum tuning ideas. I on the other hand use a drum dial just for the purpose of getting equal tension. I still tune to my liking. It's all about getting the drums to your liking plus different heads play a big part in the sound you want.

Comment

Thanks both of your guys!
        That really helps, yeah im experimenting with the tuning right now!
        Zildjian Cymbals
        Pearl Vision VSX in Gunmetal Sparkle
        Pearl Hardware & Pedals & Heads
        Vic Firth/Pro Mark/Regal Tip

Comment

Working...
        X