20" or 22" Bass Drum on VMX kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20" or 22" Bass Drum on VMX kit?

Hello all. Looking to order a VMX set with 10/12/14 and am trying to determine if 20" or 22" bass drum would be better.

I am druming for myself for the most part. I play a variety of stuff. Pop/Rock/Jazz/Fusion/Funk/Big Bang. I like to drum to all kinds of music.

I don't see myself gigging with the kit ever. If that ever came up, it would be way down the road so I'm not too concerned with that.

Thoughts on which size to get?

Lately there has been a couple 20x18.
    I own a 20x20.
    I owned a 22x18.
    I Think they are all versatile!
    the most hated thread on the forum!

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=228369

Comment

I'm no expert but i would say my 22x18 is pretty darn versatile. It has a fairly large tuning range making it good for several applications.
      My Pearl VMX in Red Sparkle

Drums:
      22"x18"
      14"x5.5"
      12"x9"
      14"x14"
      16"x16"

Cymbals:
      Sabian AAX Stage Set
      Istanbul Alchemy 10" Splash
      Istanbul Alchemy 14" Sweet Crash

Comment

I'd say go 20". The ease of setting up your toms over it overcomes the slight lack in "boom". You can compensate for that with different heads. It's very cannonlike and powerful, but doesn't have the natural sustain of a 22". I prefer Emperor Coated as the resonant head, with no mic hole. Gives it a lot of body and more sustain if it's needed.

Comment

I'd personally go 20"
          BLUE MIST TRIBE
          --THE O-ZONE RIDERS--
          -ACROLITE ARMY-
          ELX,Youtube page

Comment

Thread follow-up. Ordered the 905 shell pack which has the 20" bass drum. Picking it up today once I get out of the office.

Comment

yeh you can get a 20" sounding just as much of a cannon as a 22". you can also have your toms lower if thats how you like them. but im waiting for my vbx to come in sometime next week. post some pics!
              My Vision Kit

As long as there are drums, I am happy.

Comment

yes, pics pronto!
                BLUE MIST TRIBE
                --THE O-ZONE RIDERS--
                -ACROLITE ARMY-
                ELX,Youtube page

Comment

A 20" would probably work a little better for Jazz and Fusion, but really both are versatile enough to do it all. I'd really get what you actually want. If you don't know yet, go to a store and play a bunch of kits.

Comment

Working...
                  X