I love gigging with Visions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love gigging with Visions.

So the other night, my band played a gig to a nice large crowd at the Rox (local club in St. Cloud). I had my Vision VBX kit at the gig. Man. It sounded so killer. We got to the venue about 3 hours before the first band, so I took my sweet time tuning the toms and kick. Everything sounded great. My big toms (16/18) thundered.

For the dough, you just can't beat this kit.

It's always cool to be able to set up and have the opportunity to tune to the room. Glad you had a good gig.
    "Now just a minute. This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

United States Army General Maynard M. Mitchell
    Press briefing. Korea 1950

Comment

Cool beans!

True, it is nice to have the extra time to be able to tune your kit to the room.

Just curious here, what kick drum batter/reso combo are you using??
      MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
      CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by pearlygates View Post
        Cool beans!

True, it is nice to have the extra time to be able to tune your kit to the room.

Just curious here, what kick drum batter/reso combo are you using??
        I'm using EMAD (clear, with the larger of the two mutes) and stock reso, with a 4 inch hole punched in it about 4 inches from the edge. Stuck that PG52 in there and BOOM!

And yes, having time to tune to the room was great! That's a rare treat.

Comment

^^Awesome brother..enjoy them!!
          MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Fantastic, man. I love gigging with mine, they always deliver. Not once have I wished I had another kit with me instead. Great to hear they're working for you as well.

Comment

I am awaiting drum #1 (12" rack tom) from a fleaBay shop.
              Thanks to inspiration gleaned from Akahito's kit..I'm am putting together a 4pc.
              VSX in #444 orange sparkle. This kit will be a dedicated gig kit.

Thanks Akahito!
              MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by pearlygates View Post
                I am awaiting drum #1 (12" rack tom) from a fleaBay shop.
                Thanks to inspiration gleaned from Akahito's kit..I'm am putting together a 4pc.
                VSX in #444 orange sparkle. This kit will be a dedicated gig kit.

Thanks Akahito!
                You can't go wrong gigging with these drums.

Comment

Originally posted by halfshovel View Post
                  For the dough, you just can't beat this kit.
                  Yes you can...

http://www.drumsonsale.com/gretsch-r...ck-p-2238.html

The same site is selling 5-piece VBX's for $994. I know - $30 price difference , but the Renown is in a whole other league IMO.

Comment

There's a used Vision on Guitar center or music go around for < 500 dollars. Ha.
                    "Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list."

Comment

Originally posted by c00kiee View Post
                      There's a used Vision on Guitar center or music go around for < 500 dollars. Ha.
                      Okay?
                      Last edited by cjbee; 07-05-2009, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjbee View Post
                        Yes you can...

The same site is selling 5-piece VBX's for $994. I know - $30 price difference , but the Renown is in a whole other league IMO.
                        That is a fusion kit. I've got 12, 13, 16, 18 for toms. Also, I'm not that impressed with the price. My vision shell pack was 600 bucks, add another 220 for the 18" floor. I use a Starclassic Birch 14X5.5 snare that I picked up on ebay for 125 bucks. I've got less than a grand in my shells, including snare, and it sounds thunderous. I haven't heard a renown in person, but I've never heard anything but "wow" regarding the sound of the Vision drums. Most assume it is a much spendier kit than it is.

I'm sure there are other drums out there that rock for similar bucks....this wasn't meant to be a "vision is better than...." thread, but merely a statement - the Vision kits sound great live....posted on the Vision section in a Pearl forum.

Comment

Originally posted by cjbee View Post
                          Yes you can...

The Renowns are great but it's harder to expand on them because of the wait time and high cost of components. The Pearls are much more accessible.
                          Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16
                          1970s Gretsch USA - 22x14 | 12x8 | 13x9 | 16x16
                          1960s Rogers Holiday - 20x14 | 13x9 | 16x16

Comment

Keeping experience of both kits in mind, I think the Renowns blow the Visions out of the water. Both are great kits, but like Conor said, they are in a whole different league. I dig the Visions a lot, but they didn't impress me that much. The Renowns, on the other hand, did.
                            For Sale:
                            -(2x) DW 9700 stands
                            -DW 9000 snare stand
                            -Pork Pie round throne (black swirl top/silver sparkle base)
                            -14"x8" Dark Horse custom snare (champagne glitter, full length tube lugs)
                            -16" K Dark Crash
                            -(cracked) 24" K Light Ride
                            -(cracked) 16" Paiste Prototype Crash

Comment

If I were in the market for a higher end maple shellpack..it'd be the Renown over the VMX in a New York second! NOT that the Vision kit is a bad kit, it's just that the Renowns are THAT much better both in value and in the sound I personally like.. (IMO)
                              MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X