Snare vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare vibration

Does any one have any tricks to get ride of the snares vibrating after you hit the kick or any other tom?

To be honest, it's really only you that hears it. From say 6' away no one will hear it at all.
    But if it's really bothering you that much:
    You could try tightening your snare strainer a little, but sometimes this doesn't give you the snare sound you want any more.
    You could also try changing the tensions on your reso and batter heads.
    My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
    My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
    My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
    Catalogue Corner Thread
    Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
    My Snare build

Comment

I've always heard the best remedy is to loosen or tighten the tension rods on the bottom closest to the snares. So there will be two by the strainer and two by the butt-end.
      Current kit - Pearl VBX Ruby Fade Outdoors
      All my previous kits - Here

Comment

Originally posted by PearlDrummer8190 View Post
        Does any one have any tricks to get ride of the snares vibrating after you hit the kick or any other tom?
        Yeah: Play with the snares off. Honestly though, it's the nature of an acoustic kit, there's no riddance of it completely, ever. You can try tuning the snare and the tom which makes the snares buzz more apart from each other, so they don't agitate each other as much. But with the snares buzzing to the kick, well, that just happens and there's really no remedy to it.
        Try swapping to a heavier (=less sensitive) snare head like an Emperor Hazy or Evans Glass 500, AND if you're still playing the stock snare wires that came with the Vision snare, definitely upgrade them to some Pearl Ultrasounds or some other higher quality snare wires. While not reducing the buzz that much, good wires might make the buzz sound more pleasing and thus more transparent: You won't pay as much attention to it.
        But really, in the end it's just as 3pearlkits said, it's really only you that hears it.
        Last edited by Akahito; 05-24-2009, 03:41 AM.

Comment

If more than one drum is affecting your snare and causing "sympathetic vibrations", you have to approach it by adjusting the common denominator, your snare. As stated above, you will never completely rid yourself of the snare buzz. There are just too many fundamental and harmonic frequencies in your other drums that are too close to those in your snare drum. I would first try different tuning starting with your snare (resonant) head. Try tightening it a bit, but also keeping it in tune with itself. You should realise a slight decrease just by doing this. Next try bringing up the pitch on your snare's batter head and again keep it in tune with itself.

Now maybe you could slightly lower the pitch in the tom that affects it most, probably the 10" if you have one. You can play around with different tuning combinations that will lower the annoyance of sympathetic vibrations. As a last resort, there's a company who manufactures EQ wires, Puresound. This is done by eliminating the middle four wires of the typical 20 strand snares. They feel the center four wires are most responsible for the occurring snare buzz, since they are located directly across the center of the snare head. They also manufacture these wires in 12 strand configurations, but I've only tried the 16.

Having a very critical ear, I truly believe sympathetic vibrations distract from the pure resonant tones that a great set of drums properly tuned should be able to convey and they should be kept to a minimum.

Hope this helps,
          Dennis

Comment

Bob Gatzen: Sympathetic Snare Buzz
            Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHAFgafPkE
            Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNGB...eature=related
            Gamertag:STA JonyBoy
            Originally posted by cezegg
            yup, it snows once you hit the border, and we pay for things in pancakes, ride polar bears, and we're all lumberjacks and we're okay, sleep all night, work all day.

Comment

Originally posted by JonyBoyHache View Post

It's just my opinion, but I never liked these videos of Gatzen. No offense to Bob, but I don't think the drums sound all that great after he's done tuning them.
              Akahito nailed it when he suggested replacing the snare wires. That being said, the more wires your snares have, the greater the chance for that buzzing sound. Swap out the wires (try Puresound Equalizers, which are made for exactly what you're talking about, or a 16 or 20 strand set of wires), tune the snare reso, and pass by your toms and retune them too. See where you're at from there!

Comment

Those vids aren't really about tuning. They are about snare wires.
                Gamertag:STA JonyBoy
                Originally posted by cezegg
                yup, it snows once you hit the border, and we pay for things in pancakes, ride polar bears, and we're all lumberjacks and we're okay, sleep all night, work all day.

Comment

Originally posted by JonyBoyHache View Post
                  Those vids aren't really about tuning. They are about snare wires.
                  I know...I'm just saying I don't care for his tuning vids either. That's all...my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by hershdrums77 View Post
                    I know...I'm just saying I don't care for his tuning vids either. That's all...my opinion.
                    I agee, I think Gatzen tunes his drums way to high.
                    sigpic
                    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Comment

Anyone play with a 12 or 16 wire set up? Just wondering if the might cut down on some of the vibration and overall sound when hitting the snare. I know mine is quite loud with the standard 20 wire. Just looking for others with more experience.

My kit Online

Comment

I keep my wires tight and make sure tuning is in check and I don't have any vibrations anymore. I had a very slight rattle at one time but I just adjusted the snare reso and retuned the toms and it went away. My tuning may be different than yours tho.
                        VMX Army?? :D

Comment

Working...
                        X