Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried 'em all and am going back to Pearl!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pearlygates
    Yep..my secret is out! and it's not Guitard Center..lol

I have had the best luck with Pearl and Gretsch in the past, but have owned Pearl pretty consistently for near 15 of my 35 years playing drum set. I guess there is something to be said for that!

Thanks for the welcome back nova! Truth is, I don't think I ever really left!

Pearl EX/EXRs are great kits with a great build and more over an excellent sound! Kudos to you brother for staying true to your EX roots!
    Hey Pearly...I'm with you on the USA Customs...nice drums. I thought maple classics were it for me, but that's what i'm selling for the VSX's. I had a Renown Maple for a couple months and they were really nice drums. The insides of the shells were even sprayed with 'Silver Sealer'. I like Pearl, Ludwig, and Tama. Everything seems so solid on those 3. I had this romantic sort of 50's jazz vibe goin on with the Gretsches. I'm happy to be rockin' Pearl again, and can't wait to hear (and see) those new tubs come in! I'm driving my queen nuts too, swapping out kits every month and a half or so!
    Hopefully the VSX is the end all be all for drum sets for a spell. Then maybe I'll just concentrate on snares in the mean time!

That Yamaha hardware is 740 and 745 series stands (2 booms and 1 snare stand), and the Hi Hat stand is two legged HS1100. It's all in excellent condition and clean. Are you interested?

Comment

Originally posted by timdrums08
      thats an awesome price man! i bet those drums will look stunning in person, pics when you get em!
      They will be here when I get home from work today!
      Pix to follow!
      MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
      CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by hershdrums77
        Hey Pearly...I'm with you on the USA Customs...nice drums. I thought maple classics were it for me, but that's what i'm selling for the VSX's. I had a Renown Maple for a couple months and they were really nice drums. The insides of the shells were even sprayed with 'Silver Sealer'. I like Pearl, Ludwig, and Tama. Everything seems so solid on those 3. I had this romantic sort of 50's jazz vibe goin on with the Gretsches. I'm happy to be rockin' Pearl again, and can't wait to hear (and see) those new tubs come in! I'm driving my queen nuts too, swapping out kits every month and a half or so!
        Hopefully the VSX is the end all be all for drum sets for a spell. Then maybe I'll just concentrate on snares in the mean time!

That Yamaha hardware is 740 and 745 series stands (2 booms and 1 snare stand), and the Hi Hat stand is two legged HS1100. It's all in excellent condition and clean. Are you interested?
        Yamaha HW?? yes. PM me on that.

You had kits stay in your possesion for a month and a half! 2 months is a record for me!

I am gonna be posting pix of the kit either tonight or early tommorrow. I ordered Aquarian response 2 heads for the toms and Focus X snare.
        Oh yeah..I also have an Attack thin skin 3 kick head waiting in a box..

I have already been checking prices on add ons. 8" rack tom and 16" floor!
        If this kit does what I have heard it will in terms of sound, I will be building it up. Also will dump the 1.6mm hoopage for 2.5 supers and lose the ISS for RIMS style..maybe optis..? I have heard some mixed reviews on those as well. More research is needed.
        MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

YESSSS!!! Post the pix asap dude! I can't wait to post my orange sparkles once they get here! It's great to be able to share the excitement with other aliens like me!!!

And not to change threads, but has anyone seen the VX in RB Blue finish? I'm hot for those, and the gears are turning...
          I can see snatchin' up a shell pack in near-distant future.
          Check out Chad Smith's drum solo to our grand National Anthem on youtube from a pistons game in the late 80's or early 90's. The kit he's playin' looks like the VX i'm talkin' about. Ahhh, I'm so proud to be an American! (No offense meant towards any of our friends visiting and abroad!)

Comment

Originally posted by pearlygates
            Yamaha HW?? yes. PM me on that.

You had kits stay in your possesion for a month and a half! 2 months is a record for me!

I am gonna be posting pix of the kit either tonight or early tommorrow. I ordered Aquarian response 2 heads for the toms and Focus X snare.
            Oh yeah..I also have an Attack thin skin 3 kick head waiting in a box..

I have already been checking prices on add ons. 8" rack tom and 16" floor!
            If this kit does what I have heard it will in terms of sound, I will be building it up. Also will dump the 1.6mm hoopage for 2.5 supers and lose the ISS for RIMS style..maybe optis..? I have heard some mixed reviews on those as well. More research is needed.
            Yeah, i'm gonna do some upgrades too. I'm going to get lug gaskets (if i can find em)and put those on...and i'm gonna change out the tension rods only and skip out on the hoops for a while (cheaper to do and i think it will help hold tuning longer than just switching out hoops and not changing the tension rods). also gonna stick with the factory tom holder and upgrade to an optimount for the 12" rack. (i'm getting 1 up 2 down set up, so i only need the 1 opti...savin' even more $$$!!!) i don't want the 12 in a snare stand cuz it's quicker for me to set up with the bass tom mount, plus i don't want to copy Akahito too much! haha! I've already got some lightly used clear pinstripes to fit the kit, a powerstroke3 bass, and a coated cs for the snare, so i'm set for now. I'm sure i'll get some new heads later once i've played the drums a while and see what she sounds like!
            Response 2's and Super 2's are my favorite Aquarian Heads. I like clear Response 2's and Coated Super 2's. I'd like to try the Hi Velocity snare head from Aquarian.
            I'm sure that attack head will give you some good slap too. Sounds like it'll sound great dude!

Comment

Originally posted by hershdrums77
              Yeah, i'm gonna do some upgrades too. I'm going to get lug gaskets (if i can find em)and put those on...and i'm gonna change out the tension rods only and skip out on the hoops for a while (cheaper to do and i think it will help hold tuning longer than just switching out hoops and not changing the tension rods). also gonna stick with the factory tom holder and upgrade to an optimount for the 12" rack. (i'm getting 1 up 2 down set up, so i only need the 1 opti...savin' even more $$$!!!) i don't want the 12 in a snare stand cuz it's quicker for me to set up with the bass tom mount, plus i don't want to copy Akahito too much! haha! I've already got some lightly used clear pinstripes to fit the kit, a powerstroke3 bass, and a coated cs for the snare, so i'm set for now. I'm sure i'll get some new heads later once i've played the drums a while and see what she sounds like!
              Response 2's and Super 2's are my favorite Aquarian Heads. I like clear Response 2's and Coated Super 2's. I'd like to try the Hi Velocity snare head from Aquarian.
              I'm sure that attack head will give you some good slap too. Sounds like it'll sound great dude!
              I up 2 down was my config of choice for years.. I am changing up a bit with this one though. I am gonna be auditioning for a classic rock gig next week with the new kit and I was just contacted by some ol buds from my past that wanna do some 80s-90s style rockin' AKA King'sX, Jimmie's Chicken Shack etc. I also play, actually mainly play Conemporary Christian rock/pop so I think having a more expandable/versatile set up will be cool!

I am hoping that this kit is gonna blow me away..or it could be back to the drawing board. lol!
              MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

pearlygates, I've been following this thread with interest, and look forward to pics of your new kit and your thoughts on the VSX. Here's hoping that drawing board finally gets laid to rest.

Comment

hey pearly!...clean out your pm mailbox...i sent you one back and your mailbox is full!

Comment

pearly...sent you a message a while ago but your mailbox is full. pm me later if your not too busy with those stratas!

Comment

Working...
                    X