Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried 'em all and am going back to Pearl!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried 'em all and am going back to Pearl!?

Some of you may know that I go thru kits like....well fill in that blank yourself..
    Helps to have a friend that is the mgr of a drum shop!

A current financial set back forced the sale of my Gretsches

This economy can kill folks!

Anyway, I am still a working drummer and need a reliable and great sounding gig/rehearsal kit. I still own my M Birch (love those drums btw) but have relegated them to the studio for tracking demos etc.

I happened to be browsing the internet (go figure) and happened across a great deal on what I think could be the perfect gig kit!

Musiciansfriend is selling a 5 pc. VSX in strada black (only) Gun metal sparkle on B/O. for $399!! Granted, it's a shell only kit with just the arms and multi clamp for the 14" rack tom, but I have boatloads of HW and just need the shells anyway.

Seems like a good price..right? I don't have any experience with the birch/basswood/birch shells. I had a VBX for a short time that to me was a great kit.

Has anyone used this kit (VSX) in a gigging situation? I will be setting up and tearing down alot..I wonder about durability and overall long term performance!? I can be a little rough on my gear so durability is key..as much as sound. I play Contemporary Christian rock/pop and some classic rock. I have a heavy hand at times.. How do these shells react to heavy play?

Sorry about all the n00b sounding questions. I feel like I have come to the right forum to get good imput! Thanks -PG
    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
    CDA MEMBER since 2006

As far as durability goes I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but the VSX kits are all wrapped so you won't be seeing scratches any time soon. That's what really attracted me to them.

As far as the birch/basswood/birch shell goes, I'm a fan. A lot of people describe it as sort of "pseudo-maple" because it has properties similar to it. It's bottom heavy and the birch gives the shells a lot of attack, which is really accentuated in the thicker 8ply floor toms and bass drums.

Eventually you might want to add some upgrades to your Visions (2.3mm hoops, nylon washers, Optimounts, etc), but out of the box it's still a great set of drums that I'm more than happy to take to a club. And if it comes with the Vision SensiTone you'll have a great steel snare on your hands as well.
    Pearl Masters Custom MCX - 24x18 | 22x18 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 13x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 18x16
    1970s Gretsch USA - 22x14 | 12x8 | 13x9 | 16x16
    1960s Rogers Holiday - 20x14 | 13x9 | 16x16

Comment

Well, I pulled the trigger on this kit this morning..got my tracking #..

Now the waiting.
      MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Awesome. I've been banging on a VSX for almost a year now. They're fantastic. Recorded my band's latest album with them as well, they performed as well as any high-end drums. I've been gigging them to death in the meantime. They're the ultimate gig drums thanks to the wrap and thick shells: They sound great even unmiced!

Comment

Originally posted by Akahito
          Awesome. I've been banging on a VSX for almost a year now. They're fantastic. Recorded my band's latest album with them as well, they performed as well as any high-end drums. I've been gigging them to death in the meantime. They're the ultimate gig drums thanks to the wrap and thick shells: They sound great even unmiced!
          Thanks man! That was very reassuring. I never doubted Pearl drums..I just wanted to hear real world experience.. Now in the meantime I need to hunt down some Strada Black kit pix!
          MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

I know what you mean about changin' kits...i do that alot! hopefully not anymore though! i just ordered the vsx in orange sparkle (thanks to the wonderful camera work of Akahito and the pics of his 925fp!). i'm selling my mint condition maple classics to pay for the vsx's, and pocket some dough as well. i just got my maple classics about a month ago, but want to move to the visions and save some money. i'm in the same boat as you, and wanted to get a tough set of drums (with a little flash) to gig with, so after looking at lots of pics and skimming through tons of vision threads, i decided to make the jump. i owned some vsx's when they first came out in strata black, and thought they sounded great, and looked rad too!
            awesome choice...have fun bashin' them!

Comment

Originally posted by hershdrums77
              I know what you mean about changin' kits...i do that alot! hopefully not anymore though! i just ordered the vsx in orange sparkle (thanks to the wonderful camera work of Akahito and the pics of his 925fp!). i'm selling my mint condition maple classics to pay for the vsx's, and pocket some dough as well. i just got my maple classics about a month ago, but want to move to the visions and save some money. i'm in the same boat as you, and wanted to get a tough set of drums (with a little flash) to gig with, so after looking at lots of pics and skimming through tons of vision threads, i decided to make the jump. i owned some vsx's when they first came out in strata black, and thought they sounded great, and looked rad too!
              awesome choice...have fun bashin' them!
              Cool. Yeah with my bud a mgr at a drum shop, it's easy and cheap for me to

Change my mind 27,000 times .. My decision (for VSX) is based in part by the fact that I had ben laying Pearl almost exclusively for around 15 years and never had a bad thing to say..and the shell pack I ordered was on sale for $400! Then about 2 years ago, when by bud got promoted to management at the drum shop, IT WAS ON!

I had a VBX for a short span when they were released in Concord fade and thought that they were pretty nice, Not the be all end all, but pretty nice none the less. I had some issues getting the kick on the birch shell VBX to have the MEAT I was looking for. The toms and snare were very nice, even with the stocker heads. I didn't really have enough time with them to make any needed upgrades like dumping the ISS mounts for optis and canning the 1.6mm hoops for Supers...Im guessing the kit could've sounded even better.

I have my tracking numbers and should be recieving my VSX (Strada Black) by Friday!.. I can't wait! I wanna get 'em home and do some tweaking, I am gonna be using them to audition for a classic rock gig next Thursday!
              If they are everything all y'all say they are..Ima be one happy camper fo sho!

I have never seen the strada black up close or even a decent pic of a kit in that finish..I gotta go thumb through some Vision threads!
              MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

yeah...i recently made friends with this dude at a shop in wisconsin, 1st ordering some 2002's. then i called about a month later and got an aax pack from him after not really loving the 2002's (i think the alpha's sound like them, even better to me, and more modern...and cheaper!!!).
                then i got this bug to sell my luddy's and pick up the vsx, so i called him and he hooked me up with a killer deal! i got the hardware pack as well, so i'm stoked about finally having a new pedal. after selling the luddy's and picking up the kit and hardware, i'm gonna make out with about $400, and i've got some lightly used yamaha hardware to sell, hopefully for about $150. i don't know what it is about these drums (the vsx's), but this is the most excited i've been about getting a kit in a long time (and i go through alot of kits)!
                i can't wait to bash em!

Comment

Hey Pearly; Congrads on comming back to Pearl!! So that's how you change kits so frequently! You know the manager of a Drum shop; (Guitar Center?) The Strata Black looks like Ringo's Ludwig to a large extent;(I've allways thought). Wellcome to the Pearl Strata Family!! They stopped making Strata White but have added Strata Gold. They still have Strata Red and Strata Blue. I've been playing my 1st EX and my EXR's for 21 years now!!( one at a time) If I ever change it will be because I could afford a BMP or a VBX. Or maybe a BRX or MCX. Still loving my EXR's and they provide all of my drumming needs quite nicely!!
                  sigpicPEARL DRUMS
                  MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
                  My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Originally posted by hershdrums77
                    yeah...i recently made friends with this dude at a shop in wisconsin, 1st ordering some 2002's. then i called about a month later and got an aax pack from him after not really loving the 2002's (i think the alpha's sound like them, even better to me, and more modern...and cheaper!!!).
                    then i got this bug to sell my luddy's and pick up the vsx, so i called him and he hooked me up with a killer deal! i got the hardware pack as well, so i'm stoked about finally having a new pedal. after selling the luddy's and picking up the kit and hardware, i'm gonna make out with about $400, and i've got some lightly used yamaha hardware to sell, hopefully for about $150. i don't know what it is about these drums (the vsx's), but this is the most excited i've been about getting a kit in a long time (and i go through alot of kits)!
                    i can't wait to bash em!
                    Yeah I am a Zildjian and Sabian guy myself...any way..I am hoping that these VSXs are gonna be an ending to the drum switcheroo game. It's driving my poor wife insane! (heheheeee)
                    My dream kit will always be a Gretsch USA custom. But Pearl has been very good to me! Their customer service is tops and the drums are pretty okay as well! lol!! I checked my tracking #s and they should be here tomorrow!

What about this lightly used Yamaha HW you have????
                    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by nova
                      Hey Pearly; Congrads on comming back to Pearl!! So that's how you change kits so frequently! You know the manager of a Drum shop; (Guitar Center?) The Strata Black looks like Ringo's Ludwig to a large extent;(I've allways thought). Wellcome to the Pearl Strata Family!! They stopped making Strata White but have added Strata Gold. They still have Strata Red and Strata Blue. I've been playing my 1st EX and my EXR's for 21 years now!!( one at a time) If I ever change it will be because I could afford a BMP or a VBX. Or maybe a BRX or MCX. Still loving my EXR's and they provide all of my drumming needs quite nicely!!
                      Yep..my secret is out! and it's not Guitard Center..lol

I have had the best luck with Pearl and Gretsch in the past, but have owned Pearl pretty consistently for near 15 of my 35 years playing drum set. I guess there is something to be said for that!

Thanks for the welcome back nova! Truth is, I don't think I ever really left!

Pearl EX/EXRs are great kits with a great build and more over an excellent sound! Kudos to you brother for staying true to your EX roots!
                      MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

thats an awesome price man! i bet those drums will look stunning in person, pics when you get em!
                        Chut digga dut

Comment

Originally posted by pearlygates
                          Yep..my secret is out! and it's not Guitard Center..lol

I have had the best luck with Pearl and Gretsch in the past, but have owned Pearl pretty consistently for near 15 of my 35 years playing drum set. I guess there is something to be said for that!

Thanks for the welcome back nova! Truth is, I don't think I ever really left!

Pearl EX/EXRs are great kits with a great build and more over an excellent sound! Kudos to you brother for staying true to your EX roots!
                          No Kudos!! I just don't have the cashola for a BMP or I would be playing one. I also wouldn't like having to worry whether or not they'd get out of this dive unscathed!!!
                          sigpicPEARL DRUMS
                          MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
                          My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Originally posted by nova
                            I also wouldn't like having to worry whether or not they'd get out of this dive unscathed!!!
                            I guess that would be a concern! lol
                            MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Pearly; I'm going to jump in here and comment on your thread title. I too, flirted with the other brands a few years back. Ludwig, Mapex, Gretsch. But, I too came quickly back to Pearl. The funny thing is I started out on Pearl kits from the early '80's (back at a time when Pearl wasn't really all that great), and after trying out and playing the other brands, I still came back to them and was blown away by how much they had improved. I've been with them steady now since the mid '90's and I couldn't let myself own anything else. Mainly because I really don't want to be stuck with an instrument, or a set of instruments that are (spelled out) j u n k. Congrats on your decision, and welcome back!
                              "The Golden Empire"

My Musical Endeavors

The White Pearl Drum Kit Club:p;)

Comment

Working...
                              X