New VBX Clear Birch 6 piece + 8" addon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VBX Clear Birch 6 piece + 8" addon

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a VBX set which arrives on Monday.
    I know I went overboard getting a 6 piece set and the 8" add on, but what the heck. I'm 45 and want to have some fun!

I was seriously thinking about buying the exact set and color that AL Percival owns(beautiful set) but didn't want to wait 5 months for it to get here.

I had waited since september to see what was happening at the namm show and was hoping for an all birch standard set similar to the mcx all maple or vbx adding wraps.

After 25 years I need to start over again anyway and this set I think is perfect to relearn on and great for bringing to some blues jams i been going to for a few months.

A few questions on VBX and hardware.

I've seen a few posts on the heads that come with the set and was wondering if they should be replaced immediately or since I'm starting over again if they are okay sounding until i've worked on them a few months or should either change the batters, resonnance, or both heads day one. I already know some of my friends are going to want me to bring them to some jams.

I was also wondering about the rims and mounts.
    Many people on the forums have mentioned upgrading to the thicker 2.3mm hoops and optimounts to help everything stay in tune and help with the set having a better overall sound.

Will optimounts work with the hardware arms that come with the 900 series hardware?

Are the Rims/mounts something seriously recommended or a nice upgrade for later on?

I was also wondering What you all like for carrying Bags - not very many brands are carried in the GC's stores that are in my area for choices and the few that are don't seem to have very good padding.

Whatca all think.

Thanks!

Firstly, welcome the PDF and definately welcome back to drumming!! It's great to have ya here! Also, you are now part of the #230 tribe!! (in other words, Clear Birch) Congrats on your purchase! Can't wait to see them!!

Answers to your ?'s
    Yes, the Opti's will work with 900 series arms.

IMO, yes upgrading from the I.S.S. to the Opti's and upgrading from the stock 1.6mm are both great additions that will enhance your drums' sound.

Yeah, the market for drum bags is so iffy at times. Sometimes you never know what you're getting. I've owned the top of the line Beato and Gator bags. They are not worthy. Padding in both of those does not stand up to the test of time or constant gigging and touring. I own SKB hardshells, but they are sometimes - impractical. So, I now own Protection Racket and Levy's bags. They are the sh** when it comes to bags. Highly recommended!!
    "The Golden Empire"

My Musical Endeavors

The White Pearl Drum Kit Club:p;)

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply.

Glad to be in the 230 tribe.

Any comments or suggests on the heads that come with the set.

Should any of them be replaced off the bat or are some worth using?

Thanks

Comment

The Pro-Tones are Ok. They last a long time. That's really all I can say about those. If you do anything, please for the love of all that's holy, change out the batter side bass drum head immediately! Of course, I'm going to recommend a Superkick, but get an EMAD or something similar. This way, you can leave your pillow on your bed and sleep on it!!
        "The Golden Empire"

My Musical Endeavors

Comment

Great choice of kit.

I noticed a lot difference when I changed out both sets of protones.

And all the buzz on the upgrades to the visions has convinced me to try it out on mine, waiting on some parts. From what I hear it helps a lot.

Welcome to the forum.
          "Until someone pays me, I don't care what company I use."

More. More. Yes.

Comment

Congrats on the kit! i use the stock heads on the bottom and i have powerstroke 4 on top. most ppl use the Evans ec2 thats what i use on my vx kit with stocks on the bottom.

Juan
            Pearl Reference Redline Kit Updated with Demon Drive Pedals
            Pearl VBX Concord Fade Updated 9/09/09

THE WHITE PEARL DRUM KIT CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by JuanFGonza
              most ppl use the Evans ec2
              i havnt seen any vision kits with EC2's, and hardly any other kits with them either 00**

anyways. congrats on the purchase. i realy recomend getting some new batter heads straight away, and maybe new reso heads. Remo emporors are a good choice for the toms. and a remo powerstroke 3 will make your bass drum sound killer!

Clear Birch VBX

Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Remo

Natural Finish Army --- Member of the #230 tribe

XBL - Kung fo sausage

Comment

've seen a few posts on the heads that come with the set and was wondering if they should be replaced immediately or since I'm starting over again if they are okay sounding until i've worked on them a few months or should either change the batters, resonnance, or both heads day one. I already know some of my friends are going to want me to bring them to some jams.
                Yes, replace them - but learn how to tune well. Spend a lot of time with it, read a lot, etc. I'm very, very unimpressed by the stock heads that ship with pretty much any kit.

When I was trying to decide on a kit back last year (and I'm not an experienced drummer) the sound was my #1 priority. The two things that stood in the way of a good evaluation were 1) crappy tuning 2) crappy stock heads. I'd put Pearl ProTones in the "crappy head" category but the worst are the Remo UT they put on Mapex Pro M and M Birch.

The only kits I heard with good heads (Remo Ambassadors, Emperors, and Evans G2 Clear) and good tuning were the Mapex Saturn, the Mapex Orion, the Yamaha Custom Oak, and the Pearl Masters MCX. I bought a Mapex Saturn and love it.

I have since heard the Pearl Vision VMX, Mapex Pro M, and several others with good heads and good tunings. I could have easily bought either one of those kits and enjoyed them just as much.

So replace those stock heads pronto and learn how to tune them. Moongel is also awesome. With good head selection and proper tuning you will probably reduce the amount of Moongel you'll need.
                Wanted: Yamaha "Original" Stage Series 8", 10", 12" Toms. Not picky on colour or wrap condition but shell/bearing edge must be good.

Mapex Saturn Studio 6-PC Transparent Cherry
                G2 Coated over Clear Ambassador
                Sabian AA Cymbals
                Pearl ECB-10 Rock Cowbell

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great information.

I'm going to GC today and look for some replacement heads and then off to listen to some friends at a blues Jam(taping Superbowl).

What do you all use for good carrying bags and maybe places to get.

A few people have mentioned to me Protection racket but when looking at various sites they don't seem to being sold or advertized other then a bag here or there and not for all the different drum sizes for a full set.

Do I need to buy larger bags because of the iss mounts for the 8/10/12" toms? (plus 14" snare, 22*18 BD, 14/16 FT's)

What do you all like for bags that are good quality with full pad lining.

Will be spending a lot of time learning to tune as well.

Thanks again,

Comment

www.massmusic.net

Go there and call the number that you find on the page. They will help you greatly with whatever you're searching for. They sell many different brands of cases and bags including Beato, Gator, and Protection Racket.

I've owned all of them and many more, and for the busy drummer, like myself, the Racket bags are the way to go, but they are pricey. The Gator bags aren't too awful, and are alot more affordable. They also come in pre-packaged sets (10, 12, 14, 22, snare) whereas the Racket bags are purchased seperately. I think I covered a 7 peice set with Gator bags for $140. And, no you don't need to buy extra large bags for the I.S.S. mounts; they fit in there.

If you're just going to take them to a show or someone's house to jam every so often or just put them in storage in the corner of the room, and you're carrying your drums yourself, then get something like the Gator bags; they'll serve you well.
                    "The Golden Empire"

My Musical Endeavors

Comment

My gigging setup has full protection racket cases and I wouldn't trade em for anything, except maybe flight cases if I started touring extensively across more than a local scene.

The Protection Racket stuff is pricey - like has been said. I have a 18x22, 13x11, 12x9, 14x5.5 drum cases and a 12x12x36 (I think) hardware bag. And that all cost me almost $350. Need to get a few more cases for snares. But thats another day!

Long story short, get the Protection Racket cases, you'll love em.

And yes, get rid of those Protones... I think they're nasty. G2s over G1s or Emp over Amb combos all clear on them toms!!

And enjoy the drumming again!!
                      Michael

Export ELX Burgandy Mist
                      8x7" 10x8" 12x9" 13x11" 16x16" 22x16"

Paragon Cymbals

Comment

Working...
                      X