Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Visions.......Fell short

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    As a present owner of VLX set, I wonder, what was so bad with this wood combination, that it was left only for the wrapped "lower level" kits? I seriously miss the Amber Fade colour. My set is not nearly ready and now it is (probably) impossible to get additional toms. One year is awfully short for product life time. Was VLX a mistake from the beginning - any comments Al?
    Pacific LXE Charcoal Fade over Kurillian Birch / Paiste Signature

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by grooveman66
      As a present owner of VLX set, I wonder, what was so bad with this wood combination, that it was left only for the wrapped "lower level" kits? I seriously miss the Amber Fade colour. My set is not nearly ready and now it is (probably) impossible to get additional toms. One year is awfully short for product life time. Was VLX a mistake from the beginning - any comments Al?
      Personally? and this is me talking not Pearl. The VLX is a great kit, a great sounding kit, the shell composite is excellent. Everyone that has one says how great it sounds even non Pearl players alike. It received great reviews from the music community. Personally speaking, I would have loved to see it stay in the Vision lineup and for us to just add the 100% maple version of it. I was glad to see Pearl add the 100% Birch VBX especially after the discontinued Session line.

      That said, you can still order VLX add on drum components in all the 2007 finishes.
      sigpic


      Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

      Comment


      • #48
        Having had kits with both types of spurs I honestly never noticed any difference, apart from the weight when packing them up. Every piece of hardware on the Exports, even from 15 years ago was gig-worthy. The only Pearl spurs that were ever an issue for me were on the original RT, which had no spikes. If all the Visions came with the same "lower level" spurs, would that significantly affect pricing? Or perhaps if the three lacquered models (that is including the old VLX) all shared the same colours (allowing mixing and matching of series), would that boost the price?

        Comment


        • #49
          I'm probably wrong, but my first blush OPINION is that discontinuing the Export and Session lines were part of a strategic marketing plan. Before I explain what I mean, understand that I LOVE my Export Select. That said, here's my point:

          No matter how good they are, Exports have been seen as just under intermediate. Most drummers I've known over the years (no offense) skipped the Forum, unless they are pre-teens. The Session series were the intermediates. Now, with all of the different Export lines, coupled with all the advances, the Exports were fast approaching the Session series...not a problem, except for the fact that the Sessions were fast approaching the Master's. So what do you do? You have to reset the bar...take out the Session series, bring out the ultimate Export (ECX), and introduce a new line with some new concepts at great prices (Vision as a baby Reference). So now you have a new series that could have been an Export, technically, but that would be adding two more lines adn confusion. So, you lose the Export series (in name) and re-introduce the Session series under the Vision badge. What that does is make the Forum the beginner set, the Vision series the Intermediate, and the Master series the High End with clear distinctions between 3 series....and you lose the "Export is a low end kit" stigma. IMHO

          Again, let me say that the Export series rocks! I will NOT be selling my Export Select after I get my VMX in the next couple of months.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by NYR Fan
            d-man, not for nothing bro' but you add the opti's and 2.3's and you essentially have an SBX. Add the spurs like they did on the VMX and you do! Can't figure that one out, why not the spurs for the VBX also?
            I understand, but the question I'm asking is: Where does the upgrading of better stuff end when it becomes simply a more expensive line with a less expensive line name associated with it? A wolf in sheep's clothing, if you will.

            For Pearl (and for good measure, most drum companies in Pearl's "playground"), the Vision series, like the Export before it, is their "bread and butter" series. They entice you into the store with kits and finishes from their flagships, but chances are pretty good you'll walk out with a Vision kit, because even though you couldn't afford a MW or Ref kit at this time, ******, you have some money, you want a new kit. It's a common scenario for many amateurs, semi-pros.

            Not to knock the Visions (apologies if I did). All I have to say about them is that I wish I had a kit like that when I was beginning drums 20 years ago.
            Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
            Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
            Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
            Rogers: 13-16-22
            Yamaha, Tama, snares
            Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

            Comment


            • #51
              This whole thread is just stupid. "Hey Pearl, make the Visions exactly the same as Masters, but keep them at the very low price that they are!"

              You guys are idiots...

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by StickS707
                I'm probably wrong, but my first blush OPINION is that discontinuing the Export and Session lines were part of a strategic marketing plan. Before I explain what I mean, understand that I LOVE my Export Select. That said, here's my point:

                No matter how good they are, Exports have been seen as just under intermediate. Most drummers I've known over the years (no offense) skipped the Forum, unless they are pre-teens. The Session series were the intermediates. Now, with all of the different Export lines, coupled with all the advances, the Exports were fast approaching the Session series...not a problem, except for the fact that the Sessions were fast approaching the Master's. So what do you do? You have to reset the bar...take out the Session series, bring out the ultimate Export (ECX), and introduce a new line with some new concepts at great prices (Vision as a baby Reference). So now you have a new series that could have been an Export, technically, but that would be adding two more lines adn confusion. So, you lose the Export series (in name) and re-introduce the Session series under the Vision badge. What that does is make the Forum the beginner set, the Vision series the Intermediate, and the Master series the High End with clear distinctions between 3 series....and you lose the "Export is a low end kit" stigma. IMHO

                Again, let me say that the Export series rocks! I will NOT be selling my Export Select after I get my VMX in the next couple of months.
                Good post. Pearl cleared things up.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yes I understand that pearl killed off the export to push the visions as the new mid-level kit. It was probably a tough decision but I think it will be for the best in the end. I personally started on the Pearl Forum over 5 years ago, and found it to be an amazing entry level kit, and I ended up making the jump all the way to a masters last month. I'm sure it will continue to serve beginning drummers well in the future too.

                  Anyway, I think it's great that they're coming out with all maple and all birch kits for the vision. I'm damn near tempted to pick up one of those new all-birch visions, if it weren't for the simple fact that I just bought an MCX and I'm pretty much broke.
                  Pearl Export EX 12x9 13x10 15x14 18x16 14x8 (pork pie little squealer) 24x16 Jet Black

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally Posted by Jez:
                    Originally posted by Jez
                    I don't see anything wrong with ISS and 1.6mm hoops. In a blindfold test I'd defy most people (MOST people, not everyone) to tell the difference.
                    As one who has upgraded from ISS to optimounts and 1.6 to superhoops with an ECX, I have to say that nearly anyone would hear the difference, blind or otherwise. The difference is not subtle.

                    2.3mm hoops cost more, as do diecast, but they aren't necessarily better.
                    Well, I get your point, if it's "different not better." Still, after my own experience, I tend to think that any kit that came with 1.6 hoops will sound better with 2.3s. Switching to die-cast is not always an "improvement" to every drummer; they definitely kill some tone, or at least change it, and not every drummer likes the result. But I can't imagine someone not liking the switch from 1.6 to 2.3.

                    You'd be much better off putting better heads on.
                    Better heads are always a good thing, and something everyone should budget for when buying a new kit.

                    BTW, I've been one defending Pearl in this thread in not switching to optis and 2.3s on the Visions--price points are real and have to be accounted for; but these upgrades (usually $200 or less for an entire kit) are well worth the money.
                    Pearl ECX

                    New to tuning? Check these out:

                    Tuning toms Tuning Snares Tuning bass drums Why reso heads are important

                    Too much snare buzz? See this, then this.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by JaMMin' JaMiN
                      I find it kinda funny that Peal made the Vision series have an all birch shell and an all maple shell when in was based on having two types of wood. Wasn't there the quote "The day of just having one type of wood is now over" ?


                      thought about this, and i understand what you meant.


                      but the thing is, the only 'reference like' quality that the visions ever had was the thicker bass and floor toms when compared to the rest of the kit.

                      the fact that they had birch and basswood was never meant to emulate the reference.


                      but that nice extra thumpy floor tom and bass drum are still here on the vmx and vbx...right al?
                      you are not to blame for bittersweet distractors

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Drummerman121
                        This whole thread is just stupid. "Hey Pearl, make the Visions exactly the same as Masters, but keep them at the very low price that they are!"

                        You guys are idiots...

                        I guess in your case,.................takes one to know one.

                        You must be from east Texas.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by TWH
                          I guess in your case,.................takes one to know one.

                          You must be from east Texas.
                          Sorry for the "flame", I got a little carried away. I just don't see how everyone can ask for so much from what's being considered an intermediate drumkit. I mean come on, upgrade the hoops, tom mounts, finishes, woods, snare, kick hoop, kick spurs, make virgin kicks, unlimited kit configurations...

                          AND you still get the amazing full set of 900 series hardware.

                          What's to stop people from taking this fully upgraded Vision over a Masters?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            You're right there. Superhoops don't cost very much individually, and neither do OptiMounts. Do the switch yourself and you'll be happy. It's like getting a better set of heads - it's very much worth the money. And well, there has to be something left to upgrade in the future as well. Going with VSX this year, I just hope I won't see an absolutely awesomely must-have finish on the VBX next year. :\

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              The only thing I personally find weird is this: why make such a big deal about the VLX during Summer NAMM if they were just going to introduce 100% birch and maple lines at Winter? I agree that a VBX almost seems gratuitous. The VMX should have just been released along with the original Vision; it seems like we (the consumers) haven't even had much of a chance to let the Vision set in and already it's somewhat (arguably) obsolete.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X