2008 Visions.......Fell short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Visions.......Fell short

I know I'll be the minority here on this but I think the 2008 Visions fell short. Some of the new finishes are nice, and everybody pretty much expected those, along with new configs, but there are no upgrades other than Masters spurs on the VMX. No optis, or Superhoops, and the unfinished bass drum hoops still make the whole kit look cheap. AL said the PDF asked and Pearl delivered but I believe there were many here on the Forum that asked for those specific upgrades. So the PDF asked, and got very little. The VBX, and the VMX will be a welcomed addtion, especially, with the 6/8 setup, but at the cost of killing an industry icon. (R.I.P. Export).

Peace.

im sorry but i have to disagree

people wanted 100% maple and birch shells ... so pearl created two whole new series (vmx and vbx)

and you can still get the old birch/basswood with he vsx and vx

and with these updates the export became kind of obsolete. i have an export, but for what they are visions are much better quality for not much of a higher cost

Comment

The Export ECX was 100% maple. Pearl also killed the Session series. The SMX was 100% maple, and the SBX was 100% birch.

Comment

Originally posted by TWH
        I know I'll be the minority here on this but I think the 2008 Visions fell short. Some of the new finishes are nice, and everybody pretty much expected those, along with new configs, but there are no upgrades other than Masters spurs on the VMX. No optis, or Superhoops, and the unfinished bass drum hoops still make the whole kit look cheap. AL said the PDF asked and Pearl delivered but I believe there were many here on the Forum that asked for those specific upgrades. So the PDF asked, and got very little. The VBX, and the VMX will be a welcomed addtion, especially, with the 6/8 setup, but at the cost of killing an industry icon. (R.I.P. Export).

Peace.

wow.

I knew there would be haters, but this is too soon, the pics aren't even all up yet!!

While we did ask for better hoops/mounts, but if i recall, what echoed even harder were the laments for the death of two great kits: the smx and sbx.

and now they live on.

tell me, what is more expensive to upgrade; your hoops/mounts or your shells?

i understand the death of the export being kinda .

but it would make more sense to keep bringing it up if the visions sucked.

earth to PDF: they don't.

only on the PDF do people complain about affordable ALL birch or ALL maple kits.
        you are not to blame for bittersweet distractors

Comment

another point - the ECX was never available in the UK

so the VMX will me the first affordable maple kit over here

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker2
            wow.

I knew there would be haters, but this is too soon, the pics aren't even all up yet!!

While we did ask for better hoops/mounts, but if i recall, what echoed even harder were the laments for the death of two great kits: the smx and sbx.

and now they live on.

only on the PDF do people complain about affordable ALL birch or ALL maple kits.
            sky, your post is SPOT ON! When I logged on last night and saw the VBX, I immediately yelled to the wife; "That's my next kit!" Hoops and Opti's are nothing but money to upgrade not to mention some guys don't even deem the upgrade necessary. I upgraded my VSX and I love it! I have my all-maple kit with my SMX and now I'll have my all birch kit with a VBX! God Bless Pearl!
            Proud to play: Session Custom Maple (Cran.Fade); Birch Masters (Gold Glass Glitter) the "gigger"; SABIAN HHX crashes, AAX Raw Bell Dry ride,B8 Pro China Splashes, AAX Fast hats) PEARL, GIBRALTAR hardware, Pearl Eliminator pedals. PEARL snare arsenal; V.Donati, M.Rose, 6.5 Masters Maple.

Comment

all maple and al birch is a great improvement.... however these new sparkle finnishes just plain look cheesy

Comment

wow.

and now they live on.

skywalker2,

I even want a Vision kit now. Birch at that. Upgrade to 2.3's and Opti's...

Hmmm
                Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

Comment

Originally posted by CUZNRED
                  all maple and al birch is a great improvement.... however these new sparkle finnishes just plain look cheesy

i don't think they look any cheesier than any other sparkle in the price range.

Comment

Originally posted by ac_yammi
                    skywalker2,

I even want a Vision kit now. Birch at that. Upgrade to 2.3's and Opti's...

....and then you would literally have an SBX.

Comment

wow.

and now they live on.

Hater, nah, just disapointed.
                      Get that brown spot off your nose.

Might want to read this... http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=186615

and this...
                      http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=184567
                      Last edited by TWH; 01-18-2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

....and then you would literally have an SBX.
                        Exactly! Which was my original idea, but when I was ready to buy the SBX was discontinued and I didn't want the hassle of finding discontinued drums or the wait times.
                        Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

Comment

Keep in mind too that Pearl knows how to market their products. If the Vision series debuted with everything we are demanding right out of the gates, then the only thing to keep sales up over the life of the series would be new finishes. Then what....?
                          Current kit - Pearl VBX Ruby Fade Outdoors
                          All my previous kits - Here

Comment

if you put optis, superhoops with 100% maple or birch shell....aren't you trying to get a Masters? With the Vision name on it???

I think the upgrades are plenty. There's gotta be something at the top to make you pine for a Masters or Reference, they can't all be professional!!!
                            Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
                            Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
                            Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
                            Rogers: 13-16-22
                            Yamaha, Tama, snares
                            Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

Originally posted by drummaman1
                              if you put optis, superhoops with 100% maple or birch shell....aren't you trying to get a Masters? With the Vision name on it???

I think the upgrades are plenty. There's gotta be something at the top to make you pine for a Masters or Reference, they can't all be professional!!!
                              d-man, not for nothing bro' but you add the opti's and 2.3's and you essentially have an SBX. Add the spurs like they did on the VMX and you do! Can't figure that one out, why not the spurs for the VBX also?
                              Proud to play: Session Custom Maple (Cran.Fade); Birch Masters (Gold Glass Glitter) the "gigger"; SABIAN HHX crashes, AAX Raw Bell Dry ride,B8 Pro China Splashes, AAX Fast hats) PEARL, GIBRALTAR hardware, Pearl Eliminator pedals. PEARL snare arsenal; V.Donati, M.Rose, 6.5 Masters Maple.

Comment

Working...
                              X