Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing edge?

Hey ya'll,

Since everyone is referring the Vision as a "poor-man's Reference" because of the the hardware, wood ply, and other stuff, does this also include the bearing edge? Just curious to see if they bring that side of the Reference to the Vision.
    Mapex Mafia - Bermuda Sparkle
    How to build HotRods/ThunderRods for less than 4 Bucks a pair
    05'-06' EHS Drumline Lt.
    06'-07' GA Southern Drumline Tenor
    07'-08' GA Southern Drumline Tenor

The Vision series doesn't have the 45 Rounded or fully rounded cut. It has just a straight 45 bearing edge cut.
    sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

Hmm, that's kind of a bummer. Especially now that since there is the new all maple and all birch kits. I mean, these two new lines are a considerable 'step up' from what was available in 2007. I mean, all we had before was a little bit of birch added to the shell and so a standard bearing edge cut was acceptable. However, since Pearl has already instituted modeling the Visons after the highly-sought-after Reference Series, a difference in bearing cuts should accompany these 100% kits. Not the bi-ply kits, just the 100% kits. And maybe not the full spectrum of cuts that the Reference Series gets, but maybe just the cuts that are applicable to the lower frequency drums, like the bass and floor toms. Pearl has already made it clear that they want these particular drums to be different, or stand out, with the addition of plies. So, why not take it a small step further to add the rounded bearing edge cuts? Even if it was just one of the rounded cuts, like the 45 rounded on them; that wouldn't be too much to ask - would it?

The allure of something such as this in an affordable "poor man's Reference" series would be earth-shattering. Well, at least in the drummer's world, that is. What do you think, Al? Possibility or fantasy?
      "The Golden Empire"

My Musical Endeavors

The White Pearl Drum Kit Club:p;)

Comment

Originally posted by two5chris
        Hmm, that's kind of a bummer. Especially now that since there is the new all maple and all birch kits. I mean, these two new lines are a considerable 'step up' from what was available in 2007. I mean, all we had before was a little bit of birch added to the shell and so a standard bearing edge cut was acceptable. However, since Pearl has already instituted modeling the Visons after the highly-sought-after Reference Series, a difference in bearing cuts should accompany these 100% kits. Not the bi-ply kits, just the 100% kits. And maybe not the full spectrum of cuts that the Reference Series gets, but maybe just the cuts that are applicable to the lower frequency drums, like the bass and floor toms. Pearl has already made it clear that they want these particular drums to be different, or stand out, with the addition of plies. So, why not take it a small step further to add the rounded bearing edge cuts? Even if it was just one of the rounded cuts, like the 45 rounded on them; that wouldn't be too much to ask - would it?

The allure of something such as this in an affordable "poor man's Reference" series would be earth-shattering. Well, at least in the drummer's world, that is. What do you think, Al? Possibility or fantasy?

I would definitely agree! Reference bearing edges would really compliment these drums but,..................well please don't ask Pearl for any upgrades here on the forum. For one, they won't listen, and two, you'll get comments like..."why do you want the Visions to be Masters?", and "stop whining".

Comment

Originally posted by TWH
          I would definitely agree! Reference bearing edges would really compliment these drums but,..................well please don't ask Pearl for any upgrades here on the forum. For one, they won't listen, and two, you'll get comments like..."why do you want the Visions to be Masters?", and "stop whining".

Are you serious? When the Visions came out, everyone here wanted an all Birch Kit instead of the 6/8 split. So you guys got it AND more colors AND an all Maple Visions kit with a maple snare. There was a whole thread dedicated to new color suggestions and some made it to the Vision series in some variation.

Pearl does listen. They probably hear the cries from their customers more than anyone and then deliver. Sorry I have to back Pearl on this one, they expanded the Visions series very nicely.

Just to show i'm not biased here, I was hoping to see the Vision kits have the super hoops instead of the 1.6 rims. I also felt that they could have painted the inside of the bass drum hoops to match the outside laquer.
          Pearl Masters MHX in #165 Diamond Burst: 10x8, 12x9, 14x11, 16x13, 18x16, 22x18 and 14x5.5 snare
          Pearl Vision VSX in #437 Gun Metal Sparkle: 10x8, 12x9, 14x11 and 22x18

All Pearl Hardware|Zildjian Cymbals|ProMark Sticks

MHX Pics
          MHX (Outside Pics)

Comment

If different bearing edges are that important, order a Vision kit, get the edges cut by a professional. There you go. It really isn't difficult or expensive to get done.
            Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

Comment

Thanks, AC, I researched that option and, no, it really isn't that expensive at all. Brilliant!
              "The Golden Empire"

My Musical Endeavors

The White Pearl Drum Kit Club:p;)

Comment

Thanks, AC, I researched that option and, no, it really isn't that expensive at all. Brilliant!
                Some of the guys on Ghostnote could do it for you, maybe Jesse at Epiarch. The best edges I have ever seen came from Bill at Pork Pie. He's a bit pricey but it's worth it. They are bearing edges after all.
                Headhunters Sticks and Creations Artist

Comment

Working...
                X