Vision Vlx Or Export Elx???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision Vlx Or Export Elx???

Hey guys. I have a major dilemma. I am looking to get a new pearl set. I have $950 to spend and what would be the best way to go for the set? The new basswood/birch Visions or the poplar Export ELX? The export prices will start dropping when the visions get in, so it would be a better deal. But what sounds better? I am looking for a punchy, warm sound on my toms and a very punchy sound on my bass. Also, is poplar better than that phillipine mahogany stuff thats on the Ludwig Accents? Help me out!!!

Vision Vlx 100%

Comment

i would say go with the vision VLX

Comment

Originally posted by Pearldrummer24
        Hey guys. I have a major dilemma. I am looking to get a new pearl set. I have $950 to spend and what would be the best way to go for the set? The new basswood/birch Visions or the poplar Export ELX? The export prices will start dropping when the visions get in, so it would be a better deal. But what sounds better? I am looking for a punchy, warm sound on my toms and a very punchy sound on my bass. Also, is poplar better than that phillipine mahogany stuff thats on the Ludwig Accents? Help me out!!!
        Since few of us has heard a live Visions, we can only speculate what the birch/basswood mix will sound like. A well-tuned Visions kit will probably sound great. The Visions will also get you the new lugs and the 900 series hardware, which few of us has touched. The Export will give you 800 series hardware which is excellent, as I'm sure the 900 series is too.

I think Pearl shells in any drum series are the best in the business for quality and consistency of manufacturing. This is a hotly debated topic, but I would take the Pearl poplar shells over even some of the all maple shells out there. Great shell quality with great machining and edges will always produce a good drum tone with correctly selected heads.

You will probably see some great prices on in-stock ELX kits. If you don't need hardware you may even be able to get an in-stock Sessions kit for around that price - try MassMusic.

Jeff

Comment

Nyaaah--Go for the Export Selects!

Originally posted by jbrandt
          Since few of us has heard a live Visions, we can only speculate what the birch/basswood mix will sound like. A well-tuned Visions kit will probably sound great. The Visions will also get you the new lugs and the 900 series hardware, which few of us has touched. The Export will give you 800 series hardware which is excellent, as I'm sure the 900 series is too.

I think Pearl shells in any drum series are the best in the business for quality and consistency of manufacturing. This is a hotly debated topic, but I would take the Pearl poplar shells over even some of the all maple shells out there. Great shell quality with great machining and edges will always produce a good drum tone with correctly selected heads.

You will probably see some great prices on in-stock ELX kits. If you don't need hardware you may even be able to get an in-stock Sessions kit for around that price - try MassMusic.

Jeff
          Basically, what he said. I would go a step further in favor of ELX:
          • This is a very mature product. It's been around a long time, and sees a lot of professional use.
          • With good quality heads, ELX is quite similar to birch. I live near a humongous drum store, and have heard Exports played against Ludwigs, Tamas, Tayes, Mapex, Premiers, you name it. Now I won't say the ELXs blew away the DW kits. But in build quality AND sound quality, they certainly hold their own with the best of them--at twice the Export's price range.
          • With what you have to spend, you can put together a fine ELX kit, and have some left over for whatever; heads, cymbal or two, a new pedal, etc. IMHO (not to be a snob, but please note I have a lot of rep...) from a current ELX kit, the new ECX will be a bit of a step up, and the Visions will be a bit of a step down as things are reshuffled at Pearl.

Bottom line: go for the Export Selects now, get a good deal, and put some decent heads on them*. I think you'll do the best with your hard-earned loot heading in that direction. Good luck!

*I'm a big fan of Remo Suedes for Exports. Please search on them here on PDF as tons have been written (mostly by me) on these heads. For punch, I'd consider Emperor batters and Ambassador (or Diplomat) resos to get a good, fat sound out of those toms. To be fair, a lot of guys here love Evans' G2 coated batters over clear G1 resos. Whatever you do, lose the ProTones, both batter and reso--on all your drums--immediately! I will bow to the excellence of the Evans EMAD for your BD batter; there is nothing better IMHO. You can get a cool Pearl-logo Smooth White Ambassador BD reso at Interstate Music and have as spiffy a setup as you can imagine, assuming you don't mind your kit being called "spiffy"...
          cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

Comment

Alright thanks guys. yeah i am sure this will be a huge debate in the coming months. Great advice. I do love everything Pearl makes. They are a fantastic company. I do love Evans g2 coated for the batter and evans glass resonant for the resonant. That is the combo i'm using now. For the money, it does seem the exports will be a great option. I'm an intermediate drummer playing different gigs with my band. I'll have to go
            check out the exports at guitar center. Amber fade looks amazing!!

Comment

Well monday you do sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm an evans guy and love the g2 coated and resonant head combinations. As well as the emad bass. I do think it could be a great set with new heads of course. What do you think about an evans head combination? But I want to get a good set and be done for now. So i really gotta think this through.

Comment

Man I just keep forgetting things to type lol. Everyone has the remos, and I would like to see what they do for the drums. But which is gonna be better, evans or remo? Like i said, I want that punchy, yet warm sound.

Comment

Well monday you do sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm an evans guy and love the g2 coated and resonant head combinations. As well as the emad bass. I do think it could be a great set with new heads of course. What do you think about an evans head combination? But I want to get a good set and be done for now. So i really gotta think this through.
                  Thank you, sir.

No really good reason not to go with Evans heads if you already like them. Evans' stuff is really good, and as I mentioned, nothing is better for a bass batter than an EMAD. If you already like the G2/G1 combo, stick with it; it will sound great on your Exports. The Remo Smooth White Pearl logo is as good a reso as any for bass drum, but if you prefer an Evans EQ, you could go someplace like DrumArt and get an overlay with whatever you wanted--including a Pearl logo. Many options!

What the Remos will do is bring up that midrange, and get you more sustain. If you wanted a more jazzy, vintage, warm sound, the Remos would be the ticket. My ear likes them over the Evans but that's just MHO, and the Evans heads are an equally good choice. Money's tight for most of us, don't waste it experimenting, unless you want to radically change your sound!
                  Last edited by Monday317; 02-14-2007, 01:35 PM.
                  cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

Comment

Yeah i hear ya. I do have an EMAD on my bass right now and love it. It is great. The music I am playing is kind of alternative rock/punk. Not real heavy stuff but you get the idea. If you have heard the band chevelle, i like the sound of those toms. Their drummer, of course, is using a pearl masterworks series and it looks and sounds great. I am trying to figure out what would be the best sound for the type of music. Of course, it would probably be like taking a shot in the dark.

Comment

On the other side of things, there is a reason why so many pro drummers use Remo. I think i'll end up trying the remo combination you suggested. I'm sure it'll sound good once it's tuned right.

Comment

On the other side of things, there is a reason why so many pro drummers use Remo. I think i'll end up trying the remo combination you suggested. I'm sure it'll sound good once it's tuned right.
                        If you want to take the plunge, great. Do a search in General Drum Set for Remo Suedes, titles only. There are six or eight topics that should answer most of your questions on these in detail, and you can e-mail/PM me if there's anything else you want to know.

Also, S-Hoops are worth a look. They're a pricier tom upgrade, but worth it from all reports. The heads will get you the best bang for the buck, though.

Cheers!
                        cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

Comment

Alrighty. Thanks. Also, do you have an export and what types of heads do you have.

Comment

My kit was BRX. That's why I compared the Export sound to birch--in fact, I kinda felt the Export kit was a little more "open" than my BRXs were.

I started out with Suedes; Ambassadors over Diplomats on the 10 & 13" toms, and Emperors over Ambassadors on my 16" FT. I used SuperHoops on my small toms with I. S. S. mounts to open them up. I kept the MasterCast rim on my FT to stop it from rumbling. I tried Suedes on the bass drum, but they managed to sucketh mightily. I dunno why, but the EMAD made a believer out of moi. The BD ultimately wore an EMAD batter with a Smooth White Pearl-logo reso, and the kit did really well (except for the 10" tom which just [I]never /I] sounded quite right...)

I later tried Renaissance heads on the toms, and found them to be a bit darker and warmer, which was great.

Have at it!
                            cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

Comment

Working...
                            X