Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone identify my first vintage Pearl kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify my first vintage Pearl kit?

This was my first kit, got it used when I was 12, I really loved it and I have a clue who might still have it currently in another country but I hope he still has it and one day I can get it back.

The lugs look to be the 60’s era, looks like President lugs, faded red sparkle wrap, 60’s double tom arm and I clearly remember all 4 drums had the black pearl badge with gold “Pearl” script that said “Japan” in the bottom. Shells were wood. The bass drum I think was 20” with metal hoops, toms were 12”,13” and 16”. If you can see in the pictures toms had tone control as well but I remember they were missing, only the knob was attached. This was long long time ago that I didn’t know any other brand than Pearl and Rogers (just because my teacher had a Rogers set and I inherited this kit from a cousin). The bass drum tom mount looked like a Rhombus. I found the closest kit to it on the internet but this one has a different bass drum tom mount.
    Can you identify what era my kit is from or any other info?
    It is also possible Pearl had different hardware/badges/shells for the asian market.
    Attached Files
    WTB: 80’s/90’s Pearl Piccolo 13” x 3” in Amber finish
    WTB: 80’s/90’s Pearl kit (18/14/12 or 20/14/12)
    1975 Premier driver outfit
    1980’s Modern Drum Shop bop kit
    Early 70’s Pearl President (First kit and gone)

Your kits name is Frederick, and he's missing you a lot...

Seriously, those pics are really blurry and it's impossible to make out any meaningful details.
    Loosely based on what I can see, and more on what you have written, you're talking about an early 70's kit.

Go here:
    http://catweb.tgtel.com/
    Check out the catalogues, see what you come up with.
    Start in 1970, the first year the badge you're talking about was used.
    If you haven't found it by the time you hit the 78 catalogue (when the tom arms changed to 7/8" tubes) you won't...
    My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
    My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
    My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
    Catalogue Corner Thread
    Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
    My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
      Your kits name is Frederick, and he's missing you a lot...

Seriously, those pics are really blurry and it's impossible to make out any meaningful details.
      Loosely based on what I can see, and more on what you have written, you're talking about an early 70's kit.

Go here:
      http://catweb.tgtel.com/
      Check out the catalogues, see what you come up with.
      Start in 1970, the first year the badge you're talking about was used.
      If you haven't found it by the time you hit the 78 catalogue (when the tom arms changed to 7/8" tubes) you won't...
      I know, sorry those are the only pictures I have from the kit, physical pictures and they are very old. I think this is a early 70's kit, I saw a very similar kit for sale on Ebay Australia.

Comment

Cool,
        Go check out the catalogues at the link I put up earlier, and let us know what you reckon!
        My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
        My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
        My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
        Catalogue Corner Thread
        Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
        My Snare build

Comment

Your red kit looks like out of the mid to late 70s.

The blue kit looks like from the same period, but with replacement lugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
            Cool,
            Go check out the catalogues at the link I put up earlier, and let us know what you reckon!
            I checked it I got more confused, the same lugs and tom mount type appear in the late 60’s (but with 60’s script badge) also early 70’s. So I assume my kit was made somewhere in the early 70’s. 1970-1973.

Comment

Working...
            X