Help me Identify these "vintage pearl drums"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me Identify these "vintage pearl drums"

I got this kit off a guy on Reverb.com. All he said was that they are vintage pearl drums made in Japan. I've done some light research into what year or even era these could be from but I haven't been able to find much. The drums have a gold sparkle wrap on them and I haven't been able to find any serial numbers any where. The only thing indicating that they might be pearl is the tom mount says pearl on it. I tried to cross reference some old Pearl catalogs to match the hardware but I haven't had much luck. The dimensions are 16" x 24" on the kick. and toms that are 10 x 10" and 13 x 14". The bearing edges look like they're all in good shape. I got this kit because I was looking at piecing together a new kit and I specifically wanted a 24" Kick. Most other 24" kicks that were being sold as is online were at least $200 usually plus shipping. I got this kit for $100 plus $50 shipping. I also ordered it on a Monday night and it was at my house on Thursday. I live in rural Maine, so I was pretty impressed. My goal with this kit is to take the wraps off, which I have limited experience doing. Then I plan to sand the kit down and stain it a dark brown and use it as a studio kit so I can take my smaller Jazz kit on the road and I wont have to tear half the studio down every time we have a show.

Any Info or resources you might have that could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Note I have already checked vintagedrumguide.com, that's where I found the old catalogs.

Thanks Friends!
    Red
    Attached Files

More Photos of the kit

More Photos of the above mentioned Kit
    Attached Files

Comment

G'day Mike (Red),
      Welcome to the PDF and the vintage section in particular

The most comprehensive online Pearl catalogue collection can be found here:
      http://catweb.tgtel.com/

You can snoop through all that and see what you come up with.
      The kick drum seems to be Pearl to me, unfortunately the flash has washed out the ply count and type.

I'm not ultimately sure the toms are Pearl.
      That's certainly a Pearl tom mount in the one pic you have up, but it's obviously been added, as it's upside down, and has non original bolts.
      Are there extra holes in any of the toms?
      My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
      My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
      My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
      Catalogue Corner Thread
      Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
      My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
        I'm not ultimately sure the toms are Pearl.
        That's certainly a Pearl tom mount in the one pic you have up, but it's obviously been added, as it's upside down, and has non original bolts.
        Are there extra holes in any of the toms?
        I agree, the lugs also don't seem to match between the bass and tom.

The sizes but not high tension lugs seem to say seem to say mid 80s. However, I don't know if the wrap is correct for that era.

My guess, especially if there are no badges left on the drums, is that it is a mismatched set that was rewrapped to match. The bass comes from a mid 80s pearl of some kind, and the toms are from a different set.
        Last edited by BertTheDrummer; 01-19-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!! Each drum seems to have one extra hole in it with no grommet or anything. My theory is that these drums were re-wrapped. The hardware and sizes are consistent with the 1984 Pro series. I assumed originally that they were Exports but I have no experience with luan and don't really know what i'm looking for. The toms are fairly heavy and the insides are beautiful. Pretty stoked about getting these three drums for $150.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peal 1984 catalog.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	5212043

Name:	50448799_2444567689106309_1177731469091536896_n.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	5212044

Name:	50550806_375163013041767_5899537893482823680_n.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	5212045
          Last edited by Mike_Bridges; 01-19-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Red,
            I think your deductions so far are reasonably accurate. It would be hard to say 84 for sure without some other identifying criteria, but mid 80's.

The 10 x 10 could be a Pearl tom, that "square" sizing was offered late 80's and into the 90's.
            13 x 14 though is odd...
            My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
            My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
            My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
            Catalogue Corner Thread
            Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
            My Snare build

Comment

Working...
            X