Custom Z / CZX Lacquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Z / CZX Lacquer

I recently picked up a Custom Z set (18x22, 12x12, 13x13, 16x16). I couldn't pass it up because of the figuring in the wood, the Birdseye maples, was so stunning. I bought it, knowing it had some issues. One of the issues was that it only had one Birdseye bass drum hoop, with a metal hoop replacing the missing one. I ordered a pair of Birdseye hoops from Stellar Wood hoops as they were the ONLY place I could find Birdseye hoops. Receiving the hoops yesterday, I pulled them out and immediately noticed they weren't lacquered. They do a good job matching the figuring (grain pattern) of the shells, but of course don't match in appearance. So now, I have to figure out how to lacquer these hoops, to not only match the shells but protect the hoops themselves.

So the question is, how would you go about trying to lacquer these hoops? I have no real experience in lacquering wood like this, so I'm really at a loss. My FEELING is to put on multiple layers, with a good high grit sanding in between each coat. I want to truly be able to protect them, hence the multiple layers. Which lacquer would work? Is there a lacquer that would "match" the Champagne lacquer of the Custom Z/CSX line? Am I on the right tack with multiple coats? Brush, Roll or Spray? It's NOT a rush project, as I have other stuff to work on such as cleaning up the hardware etc., so I can take my time and do this right.

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.
    John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CoyoteG; 11-21-2018, 12:21 PM.
    Don't try so hard, the world needs Ditch Diggers TOO!!!!

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8

Pearl Drums - click links to see(SBX, MMX, BRX, MLX, GLX, REF, and MW), Pearl Hardware, Lots O Cymbals

the light sanding-multiple layers approach is exactly how pros are doin it....myself i've refinished an old ludwig set
    (removed the paint, then sanded the wood till i got a silky surface ) for the sake of the experience i'd get ,and it's been a success....i even did it using a electric sander which i would n't use on such a nice instrument like your new catch.....the electric sander may be a time saver, but a mistake happens so fast ( you don't want to '''burn''' the wood) , there's no turning back,so by hand would be my choice. just get the best laquer-sealer money can buy,and then perform as many layers as possible...it is no rocket science, patience is your best friend.

edit: and yeah..pfffffft...the grain pattern is beautyfull....rarely seen a so perfect pattern drums to drums. it looks so perfect ,it's close to a faux computer made like the pearl moka tamo.....great,great catch.
    Last edited by rollracer; 11-21-2018, 07:39 AM.
    sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

Comment

Yep, multiple layers is the way to go.
      Put at least 2, maybe 3 layers on before the first sanding.
      Wet sand them with say 400 grit wet and dry sandpaper.
      As you apply more coats, sand before the next. When you start to get to the last few coats, go higher in the grit count, say 800 grit.
      The final sand should be before the last coat, with say 1200 grit.

Brush or spray?
      Up to you. Brush is simplest, but spray will get a better result.
      Whatever you choose, many light coats is way better than a smaller number of thick coats, as that may cause runs, which will mean sand it all off and start again....
      My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
      My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
      My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
      Catalogue Corner Thread
      Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
      My Snare build

Comment

Do you have pictures of the hoops?
        dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

Originally posted by dale w miller View Post
          Do you have pictures of the hoops?
          Why attach pix? lol
          sigpicStill Way Too Much Crap

Comment

I would suggest taking the hoop(s) to a furniture refinishing business in your area. getting a good quality lacquer job is a lot of work and sometimes does get the finish you are looking for...HOWEVER...if you are going to do it yourself go with the process that 3Pearlkits suggested and I would agree that a spray finish will yield much better results...the key will be the wet sanding!
            My wife says I am no longer permitted to buy any more drums...I said okay you cant buy any more shoes...we are presently at an impasse! I see drums...she sees shoes!

Comment

A word to the wise - be VERY careful removing the hardware from this kit. My advice would be don't. It's very prone to breaking where the screws hold it to the shell, and once that happens it'll junk. You'll end up replacing the entire kit with Masters CL lugs, which whilst they'll fit, won't look anywhere near as good (some prefer the individual lugs rather then dual lug design, but chances are the lacquer will have changed colour over the years with sunlight so you'll have non-faded sections where the old lug middles were)
              sigpic
              PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
              22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
              PICSPICS 2
              “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
              Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Originally posted by oldbatterhead View Post
                I would suggest taking the hoop(s) to a furniture refinishing business in your area. getting a good quality lacquer job is a lot of work and sometimes does get the finish you are looking for...HOWEVER...if you are going to do it yourself go with the process that 3Pearlkits suggested and I would agree that a spray finish will yield much better results...the key will be the wet sanding!
                I agree.
                dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

Do not try to brush lacquer. One of its properties is that lacquer can be reactivated. It will get sticky and create a mess...
                  Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out alive!!

My Dirty Little Collection..

Comment

Originally posted by latzanimal View Post
                    Do not try to brush lacquer. One of its properties is that lacquer can be reactivated. It will get sticky and create a mess...
                    Huh?
                    This has never happened to me. What circumstances lead to that happening for you?
                    Tin or spray can, it's the same lacquer...
                    My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
                    My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
                    My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
                    Catalogue Corner Thread
                    Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
                    My Snare build

Comment

it is a very straightforward process. buff,laquer,dry,buff. laquer,dry,buff....as much layer as possible.the more you buff multiple layers , the more the finish is durable and brillant.

as for applying the laquer with a gun......hmmmm...you need the correct set up,otherwise, you''ll end up with an orange skin kind of surface finish. the result would be more previsible with a large brush
                      sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
                      tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
                      sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

Comment

Working...
                      X