• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural maple 4 pc 80s?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20181112-170041_Facebook.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	5294619 Just picked these up yesterday in a batch of gear. 24, 18, 15, 14. Badge says All Maple Shell. MLX? Someone's hounding me already to sell them to him. What would these go for?

Originally posted by drummerken View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]511520[/ATTACH] Just picked these up yesterday in a batch of gear. 24, 18, 15, 14. Badge says All Maple Shell. MLX? Someone's hounding me already to sell them to him. What would these go for?
    With those huge sizes, and if in great condition...I would say they would fetch for $1K.

If you would play them I would keep them!

Comment

oooh...you did a very nice catch .even more to me since i'm a fan of natural finishes; it never gets old.

80's perfume for cheap.

call me crazy,but since they re square sizes, then leaves you with a lot of room to play, i would cut them to standard ,or even fast sizes and keep'em as second=third-fourth kit to play LOL.....they're so nice
      sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
      tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
      sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

Comment

Originally posted by rollracer View Post
        oooh...you did a very nice catch .even more to me since i'm a fan of natural finishes; it never gets old.

80's perfume for cheap.

call me crazy,but since they re square sizes, then leaves you with a lot of room to play, i would cut them to standard ,or even fast sizes and keep'em as second=third-fourth kit to play LOL.....they're so nice
        I don't think those would be square sizes. They would likely be 14x12, 15x14 (maybe 13?), 18x16, and 24x16 (maybe 18?). I think only the Custom Z (CZX) came in square sizes.

To the OP: The lugs on those drums are known for being super fragile. Like, you take off the lugs to clean the drum, and the screw receiver post breaks off the lug. Just something to know if you were going to clean them. Those sizes aren't too common. If you decide to sell, you might be able to make more money if you part the kit out. Especially if all of the lugs are intact.
        Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Skiddz View Post
          I don't think those would be square sizes. They would likely be 14x12, 15x14 (maybe 13?), 18x16, and 24x16 (maybe 18?). I think only the Custom Z (CZX) came in square sizes.

To the OP: The lugs on those drums are known for being super fragile. Like, you take off the lugs to clean the drum, and the screw receiver post breaks off the lug. Just something to know if you were going to clean them. Those sizes aren't too common. If you decide to sell, you might be able to make more money if you part the kit out. Especially if all of the lugs are intact.
          I can't help to think that set up was the "large" half of a 80's style double kick set where as the original or previous owner just kept the "small" side. Like Jerry said, I'm sure you could part that kit out and make some cash! Regardless, the set looks great and love that natural finish!

Comment

Good call. You called the sizes exactly. Not square. and you're right about the lugs one and a half lugs have threads broken off. and it's missing one of that tricky Wingnut bolt assembly for the extenders on Spurs...

Comment

Interesting find...

Guessing you just pieced them together quickly for a few fast pics, but generally, the tom mount on the kick is on the reso side and the badge is closer to the beater side. Are the spurs still on the drum? Do they work in that orientation?

Comment

I love my MX kit even though the sizes are a bit out of date.

For what its worth the 15-18-24 sizes are relatively rare in the MX/MLX lineup. Although I don't see much demand for the MX/MLX drums on eBay and whatnot.
                Come to think of it, I'd love to show up at a gig rocking a 15-18-24 setup. We could do Nirvana covers all night!

Comment

Started to restore these... any lines on vintage Pearl parts?

Originally posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post
                  Interesting find...

Guessing you just pieced them together quickly for a few fast pics, but generally, the tom mount on the kick is on the reso side and the badge is closer to the beater side. Are the spurs still on the drum? Do they work in that orientation?
                  Yeah, the person I got them from was playing the resonant side with the spurs bass ackward. One spur is missing the both that locks the telescoping part; have to look for that. And one lug is totally broken; another has two of the four screws broken. I may see if the non-tension lugs from that era fit the pattern and put them both on the floor side. https://youtu.be/-hUrYemurtA

Comment

Originally posted by drummerken View Post
                    Yeah, the person I got them from was playing the resonant side with the spurs bass ackward. One spur is missing the both that locks the telescoping part; have to look for that. And one lug is totally broken; another has two of the four screws broken. I may see if the non-tension lugs from that era fit the pattern and put them both on the floor side.
                    Session lugs will fit the hole spacing on the MX/MLX line. And I believe some guys use the two-piece Export lugs to give it the same look as the high-tension lugs.

Comment

Originally posted by TMdrums View Post
                      I can't help to think that set up was the "large" half of a 80's style double kick set where as the original or previous owner just kept the "small" side.
                      Entirely possible, but those are also classic Mike Bordin sizes, so entirely possible that's a deliberate set up
                      sigpic
                      PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
                      22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
                      PICSPICS 2
                      “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
                      Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Working...
                      X