Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with these vintage pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with these vintage pedals?

I'm a big fan of vintage Japanese drums. Especially early '80s Pearl stuff, and on top of that I like particularly unusual '80s Japanese stuff too. My kit is an '80-'81 Pearl G-series maple Big Beat, and I've been checking out some of the different Pearl pedals from that time period. According to the 1980 Pearl catalog my kit would have come with the model 810S pedal, but was pictured in the catalog with the 910 model.

The 910 really caught my eye as far as being an unusual design, and I can't seem to find much info on them online. I think I'd really like to try and find one just to check it out for myself, but figured I would ask around to see if anyone has had any experience with this particular model be it good or bad. I haven't found anything really detailing the pedal's features, but they sure do look interesting!

So yeah if anyone has any knowledge or personal experience with this model I'd love to know what you thought/think of it! I like the way it looks and it's obscurity so much that it would be really cool to find one in nice shape and use it as my main pedal! Here are a couple of pics from the internet for reference.

(also I noticed that Tama seems to have a really interesting pedal design from around the same time called the "King Beat"? Any info on those would be awesome as well! I think those look really cool too!

Here are a couple of pics of the Tama pedal I'm curious about as well. Would be really cool to get one of each, but ultimately I'd like to keep my kit all Pearl.

Comment

They remind me of the Premier 252 pedal of the 80s, that was a class pedal in its time.
      Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
      8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

Comment

Originally posted by Bodgit View Post
        They remind me of the Premier 252 pedal of the 80s, that was a class pedal in its time.
        Same here.
        dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

Found a good close-up of the model 910 in the 1980 Pearl catalog that lists some of its features.

Comment

I used to own a very similar model. It had the same upward arm but you could see the spring. All in all, it was a lousy pedal. Yeah, it was solid and easy to adjust but it felt like jello. I sold it decades ago to a guy who absolutely loved that model. Heck, it might have been you! One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Comment

Reminded me of this Rogers pedal. I used to have one just like it. Great idea poorly executed. Although it was well maintained mine fell apart.

Comment

I'll throw in 2c worth.
                If these pedals were brilliant, and stood the test of time (form, function and longevity), someone would still be making something like these pedals, or they would have existed longer than they did...
                My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
                My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
                My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
                Catalogue Corner Thread
                Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
                My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                  I'll throw in 2c worth.
                  If these pedals were brilliant, and stood the test of time (form, function and longevity), someone would still be making something like these pedals, or they would have existed longer than they did...
                  Rogers still make them, and Tama have not long re-introduced theirs.

https://drumsonsale.com/rogers-dyno-...rum-pedal.html
                  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...c-single-pedal
                  More drums than you can shake a stick at...
                  https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

Comment

Originally posted by RushDrums24 View Post
                    Mmm. I guess if we see heavy discounting, they're not selling...
                    Catalogue Corner Thread
                    My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                      Yeah, it was solid and easy to adjust but it felt like jello.
                      Did you try changing the spring? Those things wear out over time, and can start feeling spongy. Also, there are different gauges/weights of springs. The one on your pedal might have just been a weight you didn't like.
                      Want to Trade: My Mapex Orion 22x20 bass drum shell in Wine Burl Burst (8.5-9/10) for your 22x16 of the same

Comment

I had something like that before. I think it was the 810, but it didn't have the Pearl logo though, so it was probably a generic Japanese OEM. Bought it in the late 70s when my stock pedal broke. Originally smooth but sluggish. The claw never really gripped right. The bearings broke in the mid 80s, so I replaced them with hardcore sealed automotive ones I got at an auto supply store. Made it a little more responsive. Strangely, my desired setting was when the spring assembly was folded down. I eventually donated it to my old high school in the 2000s when I got a new pedal.
                        Last edited by makinao; 06-14-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Well neither the Pearl 910 or the Tama King Beat seem to be very sought after or expensive, and I'm really curious to try them. Since they're fairly inexpensive I think I'll try to pick up one of each in the future! The Tama seems to be easier to find. If nothing else they will be a fun learning experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Fitz View Post
                            Well neither the Pearl 910 or the Tama King Beat seem to be very sought after or expensive, and I'm really curious to try them. Since they're fairly inexpensive I think I'll try to pick up one of each in the future! The Tama seems to be easier to find. If nothing else they will be a fun learning experience!
                            As always A, that's a great attitude.
                            I'm not trying to be a downer on the idea at all!
                            Have fun
                            Catalogue Corner Thread
                            My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                              As always A, that's a great attitude.
                              I'm not trying to be a downer on the idea at all!
                              Have fun
                              Thanks! And no worries. I didn't take it as a downer. After all I did ask for opinions!

Comment

Working...
                              X