Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new vintage kit (Is it GLX?)

Hi all vintage drummers!

This is my first post in here and these are my first Pearl Drums. I would need some help to identify this kit I purchased a while ago.The basic kit is 22” bass drum, 13” and 14” tom toms and 16” floor tom. I also have 14” floor tom which is modified from the same series concert tom. The seller couldn’t say for sure what the model is. I have looked old Pearl catalogues and I think this could be GLX series. The inner side of the drum is also lacquered and to me the shell finish looks like to be natural maple (GLX series in 1983 catalogue).

I also measured the thickness of the shell and it’s 7,5mm. There’s also internal dampers which are not attached at this moment. Bearing edges have been re-cut for all toms (by the previous owner) so those are in good shape. Bass drum hoops are damaged so I already ordered new basic maple hoops to replace the old ones. Also the rubber tips from bass drum legs are missing. Otherwise the kit is in decent condition, there’s some dents and scratches but nothing too bad.

I just removed all the lugs and screws from the kit and cleaned the whole kit. I used citric acid to remove the rust and dirt from the lugs, metal washers and tuning screws. It took like three days but looks pretty good now.

But yeah I'd really appreciate it if you help me out to identify this kit.

Greetings from Kuopio, Finland.

Kimmo
    Attached Files

Here's the whole kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	asettelu1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	5210122

Name:	asettelu2.jpg
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	5210123

Comment

welcome to forum! .. you say you measured shells and they are 7.5mm? so they're 6 ply shells

the second pic really confirmed for me what I think it is ..the grain on shells looks like Birch .. add to that the 6 ply - 7.5mm shells with those 80-83 badges and that equals an early 83 BLX in #112 Natural Birch Lacquer

Kit looks great! Cleaned up nice
      Last edited by BadAstronaut; 05-08-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
        welcome to forum! .. you say you measured shells and they are 7.5mm? so they're 6 ply shells

the second pic really confirmed for me what I think it is ..the grain on shells looks like Birch .. add to that the 6 ply - 7.5mm shells with those 80-83 badges and that equals an early 83 BLX in #112 Natural Birch Lacquer

Kit looks great! Cleaned up nice
        I was going to say "que BA" but you were already here. Those are nice looking drums. Very much from the 80's, very similar to Tama Superstars from the same era. Also, I don't know why, but I really like that kick drum resonant head. I think I like how it's simply different. I've never seen one quite like that.

Comment

Definitely looks like birch wood grain pattern. I agree with Bad Astronaut. Pearl BLX. Great kit!
          sigpic
          Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
          Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
          The Masters Army

Comment

Wow those are beautiful! VERY nice kit you have there. Looks like a blast to play! I too actually like the artwork on the kick!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
              Also, I don't know why, but I really like that kick drum resonant head. I think I like how it's simply different. I've never seen one quite like that.
              I didn't really pay attention this morning to reso head ... now I see what you see .. sonot should tell us specs on that head

Comment

Thanks for compliments and info. Yes I measured the shells and they are 7,5mm. To my eye it also looked like there's 6 plys. I was already in that believe that this could be maple set but birch is also a good choice (Those pictures I looked from the catalogue are pretty unclear)
                So this drum set have seen the daylight in the same year I was born. Definitely a right kit for me.
                Is this BLX the flagship series of it's time?

Name:	bearing edge.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	5210131

Name:	dampers.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	5210132

Comment

Originally posted by sonot View Post
                  Is this BLX the flagship series of it's time?
                  Flagship being the first all Birch shell of it's time Pearl produced

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                    I didn't really pay attention this morning to reso head ... now I see what you see .. sonot should tell us specs on that head
                    Previous owner painted it. So its definitely unique.

Comment

Ok, that I didn't know. And actually I was trying to ask if BLX was high-end kit at the time?
                      Tom toms sounds really good though I don't even have brand new skins on them. Bass drum might be the weakest link. Before this kit I had PDP's MX maple kit with 24"x18" bass drum. Well, it produced a huge sound so it's not so surprising that 22"x14" won't give the same kind of rumbling sound. But I still need some time to find right tuning for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sonot View Post
                        Ok, that I didn't know. And actually I was trying to ask if BLX was high-end kit at the time?
                        yes .. the GLX and BLX were top of line .. one being Maple .. the other Birch

Comment

Working...
                        X