X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
    Looking forward to more updates!
    I went to hit the like button lol...
    +1! This is an excellent looking vintage Pearl kit! Looks great and likewise, looking forward to updates and more pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Fitz View Post
      I haven't posted an update here in a long time, but I'm still around, and definitely still loving this kit! Besides playing them constantly, I've mostly just been working on little things like replacing the missing badge on my Jupiter snare, finding more matching early 900 series hardware, getting a Pearl bass drum logo decal, and experimenting with a couple of older Pearl double bass pedals (P-792TW and P-102TW). Just figured I'd post a few recent pics. Here's how the snare badge replacement came out!
      Looks great!

Two part question.

Where did you get the tiny rivets and do they have them in black?
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! They sound just as beautiful as they look!

@Tasty808, I honestly have no idea where the mini rivets came from, or if they're available in black. I just happened upon that pair while searching through misc. junk drawers in my shed looking for some tiny screws to mount my badge. I liked the look of the rivets better though, so I went with those. I looked around for more, but unfortunately I only found those 2. You could probably find something similar online though.

Comment

lookin good AF .. ever consider some air suspension feet for floors? they really do open up floor toms for the better

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
            lookin good AF .. ever consider some air suspension feet for floors? they really do open up floor toms for the better
            Thanks! Yeah that's another little thing that's definitely on the to-do list. I've heard nothing but great things about those feet.

Comment

So I've been working on my P-792/P-102 longboard project over the past couple of days, and I'm really happy with how it's coming along!

I got the master pedal all assembled and playable today. Most of the pedal is just the P-102 Powershifter, but with the customized longboards I made from the P-792 footboards. Hardest part was the fact that I wanted to keep the Powershifter feature, but didn't want to drill any holes through my footboards. It's not as quick and easy to change the setting as the factory setup was with the bolt through the heel plate, but it does still function properly with the longboard.

After setting it up and playing around with it all evening, I'm actually really impressed! This thing feels GREAT!!! It's definitely different, but in the best way possible! It's hard to describe, but it's a lot more natural feeling for me. I probably should've tried longboards a long time ago lol... I noticed being able to use my heel more effectively on this pedal instantly improved the speed of my doubles too.

I can't wait to finish building the matching slave pedal now!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Austin-Fitz; 05-01-2020, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Finally got both the master and slave pedals converted to longboards! It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it! They just feel really natural to me. Upon trying them out I was instantly playing double bass stuff that I couldn't do before the conversion.

I also happened to find the correct early '80s Pearl 900 series snare stand to add to the kit. That now makes 1 straight cymbal stand, 1 boom stand, and 1 snare stand, all 900 series. Slowly but surely I'm changing out any mismatched hardware for period correct 900 series stuff. It's actually pretty difficult to find!
                Attached Files

Comment

^ Great job Austin,
                  Keep up the good work, this is going great...
                  My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
                  My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
                  My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
                  Catalogue Corner Thread
                  Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
                  My Snare build

Comment

Thanks 3pearlkits! I really am having a lot of fun with this kit!

Here are some pics of the underside of one of the footboards showing how I did it. I used the factory mounting points for everything, so no drilling, cutting, or modifications were needed to either of the footboards, or base plates. It can all be easily put back to factory original if needed/wanted.

Please excuse the rough appearance of the homemade brackets lol. I didn't want to spend too much time making everything pretty until I knew for sure that I liked them set up this way.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'll probably upgrade the hinges in the near future. These were just what I had laying around... I really do like the way they feel though! The Powershifter feature is still pretty easy to adjust too. You just have to lift the footboard, remove the big flathead screw in the middle, and then you can place it in any of the 3 different positions. As I mentioned before, I really didn't want to drill through the footboards, and it's really not that hard to just lift them up to get to the screws.

Comment

Scored some things for the kit in the past couple of days! Managed to find these two Pearl 900 series straight stands, which are the catalog correct stands for this particular kit. Found them on ebay in a big lot of 6 stands, and made a deal on just these 2. I just received them today, and have them all broken down to clean them, but here's a pic from the ad, and a 1980 catalog pic of the Big Beat.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Then I also snagged a ride cymbal that I've been wanting ever since I stupidly sold the one that I had years ago. It was my favorite cymbal. A brilliant finish 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Jazz Ride... I'm hoping I like this new one just as much, or maybe even more than my old one though! It should be here Monday, but here's a pic from the seller.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X