Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Kit to Identify c1980?

Hi all - my first post.
    I have what is (to me at least) something of a mystery. I suspect it might be a crossover kit - 1980, or maybe 1981, with the earlier badges. I've owned the kit since new, though it may have been a demo or second hand (and I presume nearly new). I really can't remember exactly, other than it came from a store in Newcastle, UK. I would have been 16-17 then. It was well played for a few years, then stored in far from ideal conditions in a loft until about 3 years ago. I had taken up drumming again and thought I might sell it to help fund something else. Of course, my heart ruled my head and I set about cleaning it up. It's far from perfect - the chrome is quite badly pitted in places, but the kit is generally in really solid condition. I replaced some of the hoops (non-original I'm afraid) and had to change the bass spurs as one had snapped. I put new Masters spurs on but I don't think they spoil the look. I think the finish is a very, very slightly yellowed Silver Satin. As far as I can tell that appeared in the 1981 catalogue, but the badges are pre 1981. To me, the wood looks like maple, but it could be birch, I suppose. There is what appears to be a very thin lacquer on the inside. Sizes are unusual - 20, 12, 13 and 14, with a 6 1/2 deep snare with Gladstone strainer. Looks to me like the 12 tom is 8 ply. They sound warm and powerful; the kick really benefited from a modern pinstripe and the snare has a great crack. A couple of years ago I found a perfect Jupiter snare with parallel action (also 6 1/2), likely older, to complement the kit. I didn't know at the time that the wires are practically irreplaceable now, but fortunately they are in good shape. This is a fantastic drum - drier than my brass Mapex Sledgehammer, but unmistakeably brass. It's not my main kit, but I have gigged it, and recorded with the Jupiter. Ok - I'll see if I can get some pics up.
    Attached Files

More pics (I hope):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090289.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	5209896

Name:	P1090292.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	5209897

Name:	s-l1600jup3.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	5209898

Comment

Originally posted by Steveno4 View Post
      Hi all - my first post.have what is (to me at least) something of a mystery. I suspect it might be a crossover kit - 1980, or maybe 1981, with the earlier badges.I think the finish is a very, very slightly yellowed Silver Satin. As far as I can tell that appeared in the 1981 catalogue, but the badges are pre 1981. Sizes are unusual - 20, 12, 13 and 14, with a 6 1/2 deep snare. To me, the wood looks like maple, but it could be birch, I suppose. There is what appears to be a very thin lacquer on the inside. Looks to me like the 12 tom is 8 ply
      Hi and welcome to forum. Should be a 1978-1979 Giant Step Maple which came outfitted in those exact sizes you listed (the 20x14 and 14x14 gave it away) and was offered in Silver Satin wrap, which is what yours looks like (just aged) . Shells are 8 ply - 6mm Maple

Oh and that Jupiter COB snare is from late 70's also
      Last edited by BadAstronaut; 04-16-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. Such a sweet kit.
        Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
        22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare.sigpic Why not ...

Comment

Thanks!!

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
          Hi and welcome to forum. Should be a 1978-1979 Giant Step Maple which came outfitted in those exact sizes you listed (the 20x14 and 14x14 gave it away) and was offered in Silver Satin wrap, which is what yours looks like (just aged) . Shells are 8 ply - 6mm Maple

Oh and that Jupiter COB snare is from late 70's also
          That's really interesting - Thanks! I can see that model in the 1977 catalogue, but with the earlier tom holders. It seems to disappear in the catalogues that I have seen for 78/79. Probably why I couldn't work it out. So it's a bit older than I thought - which is a good thing, I think! I've had this kit for nigh on 37 years without ever really knowing exactly what it was - getting just a little bit emotional here, ha-ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
            Welcome to the Forum. Such a sweet kit.
            Thanks! Yes - I think it looks great in the shot above. When I was young I wanted a bigger bass drum and a 16" ft cos it was 'cooler' . It's fine just the way it is! I didn't like the colour but that's possibly because it lived in a smokey room for years and developed a brownish film of cigarette tar on it (as you can just about make out in the before/after shot above)! It never did get cleaned until it came out of the loft 25 years later. Really like the colour now. Only played one gig with it since putting it back together, but the kit (not me) got a couple of admiring comments.

Comment

Hi all - my first post.
              I really can't remember exactly, other than it came from a store in Newcastle, UK.
              Are you from Newcastle?, A Teessider here.
              More drums than you can shake a stick at...
              https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

Comment

That's really interesting - Thanks! I can see that model in the 1977 catalogue, but with the earlier tom holders. It seems to disappear in the catalogues that I have seen for 78/79. Probably why I couldn't work it out. So it's a bit older than I thought - which is a good thing, I think! I've had this kit for nigh on 37 years without ever really knowing exactly what it was - getting just a little bit emotional here, ha-ha!
                yeah in the US 77 catalog it shows Giant Step with the old tom holders but Silver Satin isn't offered ... but in the US 77 flyer there is the ad for the vari-set system which shows your tom arms and bass mount .. anythings possible in the land of Pearl oddities back then, so it could be from 77 just by the flyer fact .. the vari-set system (your tom arms and mount) in the Pearl Japanese catalogs has the Giant Step model from 78-79 in your sizes and Silver Satin as color option, so safe to say it's a 78-79

Comment

Originally posted by RushDrums24 View Post
                  Are you from Newcastle?, A Teessider here.
                  Sunderland - no football comments at the moment please!! Small world huh?

Comment

Sunderland - no football comments at the moment please!! Small world huh?
                    Absolutely, i'm from Stockton myself. If you know the local drummer Paul Smith, i'm his grandson.
                    More drums than you can shake a stick at...
                    https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                      yeah in the US 77 catalog it shows Giant Step with the old tom holders but Silver Satin isn't offered ... but in the US 77 flyer there is the ad for the vari-set system which shows your tom arms and bass mount .. anythings possible in the land of Pearl oddities back then, so it could be from 77 just by the flyer fact .. the vari-set system (your tom arms and mount) in the Pearl Japanese catalogs has the Giant Step model from 78-79 in your sizes and Silver Satin as color option, so safe to say it's a 78-79
                      More info - you've made my day BadAstronaut! And this makes so much more sense in the context of how I came to get it - Of course my parents didn't buy me a new kit! It's possible I got it as early as 1980, but that doesn't really matter. Just wanted to know what it was and its age - so thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by RushDrums24 View Post
                        Absolutely, i'm from Stockton myself. If you know the local drummer Paul Smith, i'm his grandson.
                        No I don't, but that's likely because of my own ignorance and/or the fact that I don't get about enough.

Comment

More info - you've made my day BadAstronaut! And this makes so much more sense in the context of how I came to get it - Of course my parents didn't buy me a new kit! It's possible I got it as early as 1980, but that doesn't really matter. Just wanted to know what it was and its age - so thanks again.
                          No problem .. I own 3 kits of same shells just from the 80-83 era with the black/silver Pearl Japan badges

Comment

Working...
                          X