Maple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple?

Anyone that can tell me if its maple toms i got here? 4 lugs,8" tom and no tag inside. Thank you
    Attached Files
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...id-80-s-DX-kit

lol, yes .. Maple shell..second badge says so....it's an 80-82 Pearl ET/M series (depending on year) in Jet Black Wrap .. 8 ply - 6mm shell

Comment

Maple for sure. The chrome is REALLY nice and shiny for such an old drum. Somebody took good care of this little gem.

Comment

I had to look again. It's just the reflection making the black wrap look like moca-black fade. For the wrap to be that nice, 'twas well taken care of. Nice!

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
            DLX100 lol, told you BA would know...
            Originally posted by DLX100# View Post
            Thanks everyone
            it was pretty obvious to begin with when the smaller badge says Maple shell ...

Comment

I hope you had a good look at the wood in the shell? Because people do wierd stuff and i got this one from evilbay. It said in the ad Export and i was thinking it could be the real deal and not Export..thats why i asked! I can read

Comment

Originally posted by DLX100# View Post
                I hope you had a good look at the wood in the shell? Because people do wierd stuff and i got this one from evilbay. It said in the ad Export and i was thinking it could be the real deal and not Export..thats why i asked! I can read
                Man, I was debating if it was Mahogany for the longest time .. LOL

I hear ya .. the seller didn't know anything and most likely did a quick search and saw Export badges from early 80's that are similar but not really .. "must be an Export, now I can list it"... haha

Comment

Related question: I have a kit with the same lugs and badge (lacking the "maple" one) in red stain lacquer, and it already has the later 7.5mm 6ply shells. It says "MA" on the paper tags. Was there a transition period from the earlier 8ply to the later 6ply shells?

Comment

Originally posted by sebco View Post
                    Related question: I have a kit with the same lugs and badge (lacking the "maple" one) in red stain lacquer, and it already has the later 7.5mm 6ply shells. It says "MA" on the paper tags. Was there a transition period from the earlier 8ply to the later 6ply shells?
                    yes .. although the 8 ply shells were 6mm and the transition shells were 6 ply 7.5mm ... 83 was a weird transition .. can you post a pic of interior and bearing edge for me? .. I have an idea what you have but want to confirm with pics to be 100% sure

Comment

Thanks, so this would make it a 1983 vintage?
                      Unfortunately I don't have the means to take a pic at the moment. The shell layup looks just like a later shell and is exactly 7.5mm thick.

Comment

Originally posted by sebco View Post
                        Thanks, so this would make it a 1983 vintage?
                        Unfortunately I don't have the means to take a pic at the moment. The shell layup looks just like a later shell and is exactly 7.5mm thick.
                        yes .. 83 .. most likely an early 83 BLX (6 ply-7.5mm)..but could be a MLX .. the early versions used same Pearl Japan badge and lugs during transition .. pics of interior/exterior will tell me if it's Maple or Birch

Comment

looks to be maple, def not 83 BLX or DLX for that matter. Does it have scarf joints? That's the big tell. If not, maybe Keller/Pearl transitional maple shell?

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                            it was pretty obvious to begin with when the smaller badge says Maple shell ...
                            Another question BA, is this a Pearl drum or some other brand?

Comment

Working...
                            X