Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s Pearl snare restored

Hi all,

I finished restoring this snare this past week and I'm pleased with the results. It's a straight up 5x14 steel shell (according to the magnet), model 4515 from what I can tell from the online catalogs, with the Gladstone strainer and standard butt. I gigged it this weekend and was pleasantly surprised at the ballsy low mids this thing has (similar to my early 70s Supraphonic), along with a nice yet subtle bite on the high end - a combination that I did not expect from a steel shell. It was versatile through many styles, responsive and dynamic. That beautiful Gladstone strainer is smooth as silk and looks so dope! Note that the knob in the picture is where the internal muffler was - I remove the mufflers and replace them with cabinet knobs from Lowe's because I don't like the way those empty holes look.

There is also no knurling in between the center bands that run around the shell. Does anyone know if that was limited to some different models or perhaps a specific period of time?

Will be trying it out in some different venues in the coming weeks, but this was definitely a nice surprise and a real joy to play - thanks all!
    Attached Files
    Thejohnlec
    Ohio Valley
    Pearl late 80s Maple MLX kit, black lacquer inside and out!
    Zildjian K
    Various vintage snares

Very sweet snare. Great job.
    Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
    22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare.sigpic Why not ...

Comment

Awesome job and drum. The knob looks right at home on there. Good idea!

Comment

Very nice! I love seeing restorations.
        DW Collector's Maple Broken Glass
        60's MIJ Kit
        Formerly-owned kits
        sigpic

Comment

The muffler knob you chose looks good - is it just in there with a bolt, no muffler?
          Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

Comment

Originally posted by Healthie View Post
            The muffler knob you chose looks good - is it just in there with a bolt, no muffler?
            That's right - just held in place with a small bolt and washer, no muffler inside. The knob was $1.30 at the hardware store. Plain and simple, and it matches the chrome well too. Plus it looks way better than having those visible holes there.
            Thejohnlec
            Ohio Valley
            Zildjian K
            Various vintage snares

Comment

Yes mate, this looks awesome, love those old steel shell Pearl snares, I bet it sounds great
              HHX hats, K crashes, Bosphorus traditional & Paiste sound creation dark rides
              Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
              Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / SonorLite (Scandinavian birch)

Comment

I used to own the same model of snare and sold it for a song many years ago. I'm glad to see someone hold onto one of these and keep it going. They're great snares.

Your idea with the cabinet knob is a stroke of genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                  I used to own the same model of snare and sold it for a song many years ago. I'm glad to see someone hold onto one of these and keep it going. They're great snares. Your idea with the cabinet knob is a stroke of genius.
                  Thank you sir - I have my occasional moments of inspiration! These snares are still out there - hopefully one will come back around your way. I paid about $30 for this one several months ago.
                  Thejohnlec
                  Ohio Valley
                  Zildjian K
                  Various vintage snares

Comment

There's a DIY thread on PDF. If you search DIY it won't show up. But if you search " homemade " it will. You could place your cabinet knob pic and a short description there too, if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by therocker View Post
                      There's a DIY thread on PDF. If you search DIY it won't show up. But if you search " homemade " it will. You could place your cabinet knob pic and a short description there too, if you'd like.
                      Hey, thanks for the tip and the info. I'll definitely check that out - will more than likely learn a bunch!

Cheers...
                      Thejohnlec
                      Ohio Valley
                      Zildjian K
                      Various vintage snares

Comment

Working...
                      X