• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw these bad boys on C-list.

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/msg/6058220052.html

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
      That wasn't the only difference if I recall correctly. The World series didn't have superhoops, so must have been 1.6mm hoops, the lug count was lower than the DLX/DX, and so on.
      A world Series passed through my hands a few years back. To my knowledge, the lug count was lower only on one size drum: the 14" tack tom. It had 6 lugs. Every other drum, however, had the same number of lugs a DX/DLX drum would've had, including the 22" BD, which surprisingly had 10 lugs.

Although, thinking about it now, I didn't have an 8" tom in the World Series, so I can't speak to that. Perhaps an 8" would only have had 4 lugs; not sure.
      "It doesn't matter if it is good, it only matters if it rocks." -- Tenacious D.

The DLX
      The MLX
      Gretsch Broadkaster

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marknu1 View Post
        A world Series passed through my hands a few years back. To my knowledge, the lug count was lower only on one size drum: the 14" tack tom. It had 6 lugs. Every other drum, however, had the same number of lugs a DX/DLX drum would've had, including the 22" BD, which surprisingly had 10 lugs.

Although, thinking about it now, I didn't have an 8" tom in the World Series, so I can't speak to that. Perhaps an 8" would only have had 4 lugs; not sure.
        What you said here is spot on Mark, and great to see you here again...
        My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
        My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
        My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
        Catalogue Corner Thread
        Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
        My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by MGRushFan View Post
          Thanks 3. I'll check into the pinstripes. I remember back in the 80's so many kits came with them. It's almost like the drums were engineered around that head.
          Agreed, lol.

Regarding the other stuff you mentioned, I'm torn actually. First I don't really want to invest too much money into the kit other than new heads, but perhaps more importantly I'm leaning towards the philosophy of allowing these drums to "be what they are." Back in the 80's very few of us knew or cared about extra resonance, holes in the shells, air suspension etc. We just used what we had and got on with it.
          Yep, what you say is true, they were what they are.
          I was there.
          It wasn't until I thought "I can't afford a new kit" I decided to "modernise" my DX, and it turned out to be a great move.

Plus, the 14 can't take an optimount anyway due to it being a 6 lugger. Excellent suggestion though and I thank you for making it.
          Yes, it can! You need to mod the Opti, but it can and has been done. Not sure an Opta would handle the mod though...
          My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
          My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
          My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
          Catalogue Corner Thread
          Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
          My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
            What you said here is spot on Mark, and great to see you here again...
            Thanks! Having a 15 month old sort of occupies the time I used to have for things like the drum forum. Ha ha! But I try to get back from time to time. Good to see you around, too.
            "It doesn't matter if it is good, it only matters if it rocks." -- Tenacious D.

The DLX
            The MLX
            Gretsch Broadkaster

sigpic

Comment

You know, I think I confused the G series you referred to with my old GLX. The G series were the ones I picked up for $200 or so a couple years ago. My god those were amazing. I still kick myself for selling them, but in those years I was trying to divest myself of everything to fund a Fender Precision. Those GLX's I was talking about were in 2005 or so. I ended up seeing them somewhere for sale, but I forget the details. They were very easy to spot because they were never factory drilled for hardware and had all RIMS mounts.
              I think I have some of them... I got the 8x12, the 16, and the kick drum. I missed out on the 14", but really wish I had gotten that one. The 8x12 and 16x16 had no holes, and I put an Optimount on the 12 and a suspension ring with legs on the 16. The kick drum had a single tom mount on it, which I removed and cover with a GK-90. Awesome drums, and they fit in great with my old 1985 GLX kit. I really wish I had that 14" though.....

Comment

As promised, pics of the racks.
                Nice and clean .. except for those hoops ..

Comment

yes those! .. Wasn't seller asking $450 or $500? ..you offered $200 and he took it .. haha
                  You know, I think I confused the G series you referred to with my old GLX. The G series were the ones I picked up for $200 or so a couple years ago. My god those were amazing. I still kick myself for selling them, but in those years I was trying to divest myself of everything to fund a Fender Precision.
                  I saw those GLX's! I was thinking of buying but declined after thinking on it
                  Those GLX's I was talking about were in 2005 or so. I ended up seeing them somewhere for sale, but I forget the details. They were very easy to spot because they were never factory drilled for hardware and had all RIMS mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by StixNSkins View Post
                    I think I have some of them... I got the 8x12, the 16, and the kick drum. I missed out on the 14", but really wish I had gotten that one. The 8x12 and 16x16 had no holes, and I put an Optimount on the 12 and a suspension ring with legs on the 16. The kick drum had a single tom mount on it, which I removed and cover with a GK-90. Awesome drums, and they fit in great with my old 1985 GLX kit. I really wish I had that 14" though.....

Yep, those were them. The last I saw them I met a guy to sell them up in Westchester NY. It's always fun to hear where these drums end up. But definitely, the BD had a single mount in it.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                      yes those! .. Wasn't seller asking $450 or $500? ..you offered $200 and he took it .. haha

I saw those GLX's! I was thinking of buying but declined after thinking on it
                      It was $250, but yes, got those at a steal price. I ended up putting new bd legs on em and new heads. Forgot what I sold them for, but I didn't make too much on em.

I wish I still had the GLX's. I love the lacquer in/out Pearls. Huge sound.

Comment

This is what became of your old GLX's. I absotlutely love this setup. Sounds amazing all mic'd up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixed up GLX's 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	5204690
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixed up GLX's 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	5204691

Comment

Originally posted by StixNSkins View Post
                          This is what became of your old GLX's. I absotlutely love this setup. Sounds amazing all mic'd up!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501771[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]501772[/ATTACH]
                          Oh man. I want em back!! There's nothing quite like the sound of those lacquered on the inside shells.

Comment

Need to see this set up in all it's classic metal kit glory!
                            sigpic
                            PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
                            22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
                            PICSPICS 2
                            “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
                            Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Working...
                            X