Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Series Time Machine kit

Thank god for lousy resale values!!

Just picked up the other day a World Series II in red lacquer. 22, 22, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18 with 6.5 snare. Looks to be an all original WLX-22-DW9 with all original hardware (BD pedals, hi hat stand, snare stand, tom arms and throne).

Seller was asking $500 and I snagged em for $400. They were on NYC craigslist for well over a month. Granted the seller was in mid Jersey, but still, not one person besides me in an area of the country with well over 25 million people was interested?

I was not expecting them to be mint condition, but when I got to the guys house they looked brand new. Below is a pic of just the 14 tom.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	5293526
    For some reason I prefer the old 80's mid level kits to the high end ones. Something about those hybrid shells that just sound good.....deep and fat.

Anyhow, haven't posted in several years but this purchase forced my hand.
    Last edited by MGRushFan; 03-29-2017, 04:58 PM.

I have a couple Pearl DX drums (22" bass and 13" tom). I've been looking for some other drums to add to this kit. It's the same shells as your World Series. The sound is deep and thumpy. I really like it.

Comment

Dude, nice score! Gotta post pics once you get em all set up

Comment

Nice score .. post up rest of kit when you get a chance

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
          I have a couple Pearl DX drums. It's the same shells as your World Series
          no they aren't .. here's shell makeup of both series

DLX/DX: 7 ply shell ... 1 birch ply, 5 alternating plies of mahogany (Luan) and Super laminate, 1 ply birch.

WLX/WX: 8 ply shell ... 2 plies selected linden (Basswood), 5 plies mahogany (Luan) , 1 ply birch

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
            Nice score .. post up rest of kit when you get a chance
            Will do my man. I actually am a little sad that I won't need to take them apart and do my usual anal-retentive cleaning to every nook and cranny. That is one of the pleasures for me of buying these old sets. All they need is....actually nothing. Every bit of chrome looks like the day they were bought.

It's hilarious..the guy who sold them to me even included his leather bag filled with microfiber towels and turtle wax. He said he took them apart at least once a year and waxed the shells and cleaned the chrome. I'm 44 and have been buying and selling kits since 1988. I've never come across a kit in this good a condition.

I'm still holding out for a set of Worlds in stainless steel, my favorite finish of all time, but for now I think these will suffice.

Comment

You lucked out if every shell is flawless .. obviously guy took care of them but did he play them?

Looking forward to kit pics ... it's been a few years but whatever happened to that G series kit you scored? How'd the anal retentive cleaning go?
              Originally posted by MGRushFan View Post
              Will do my man. I actually am a little sad that I won't need to take them apart and do my usual anal-retentive cleaning to every nook and cranny. That is one of the pleasures for me of buying these old sets. All they need is....actually nothing. Every bit of chrome looks like the day they were bought.

It's hilarious..the guy who sold them to me even included his leather bag filled with microfiber towels and turtle wax. He said he took them apart at least once a year and waxed the shells and cleaned the chrome. I'm 44 and have been buying and selling kits since 1988. I've never come across a kit in this good a condition.

I'm still holding out for a set of Worlds in stainless steel, my favorite finish of all time, but for now I think these will suffice.

Comment

DLX/DX: 7 ply shell ... 1 birch ply, 5 alternating plies of mahogany (Luan) and Super laminate, 1 ply birch.

WLX/WX: 8 ply shell ... 2 plies selected linden (Basswood), 5 plies mahogany (Luan) , 1 ply birch
                Thank goodness you popped that up BA
                Saved me from having to do it.

That wasn't the only difference if I recall correctly. The World series didn't have superhoops, so must have been 1.6mm hoops, the lug count was lower than the DLX/DX, and so on.

MGRushFan,
                I'm looking forward to pics as well!
                Series 2 Worlds are 1987 onwards. Yours look to be Ferrari red.

Again, IIRC, The World's, and the DLX/DX, came out with pinstripe batters for a reason. Both series love them.
                If you want more open sounds than pinstripes, sure, go with coated Emps.

Having said that, if that kit is a keeper, then go further. Add Opti/Optas's, GK90's and Air suspension feet for the FT's.
                That will open up these drums more than any head choice.

Oh, and finally, it's the World series that are the grandfather of the Masters series...
                My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
                My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
                My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
                Catalogue Corner Thread
                Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
                My Snare build

Comment

You lucked out if every shell is flawless .. obviously guy took care of them but did he play them?

Looking forward to kit pics ... it's been a few years but whatever happened to that G series kit you scored? How'd the anal retentive cleaning go?
                  Thanks man. I think he did play them because the heads were the only thing that were pretty well used on the kit. He was just one of those people that made sure every drum had a case, he wore gloves while handling etc. I took off the heads before I actually bought because I was worried about hidden flaws like ply separation and bearing edge damage. There was none to speak of.

That G series is long gone, but I definitely miss it sometimes. I love the sound of the 100% in and out lacquer. Some of the best recorded tones I ever got came from an MLX kit with in/out lacquer. Very reflective, open and fat at the same time. I tend to buy, clean, play for a little while then sell. However, I've reached a point this past year where I'm no longer too interested in retiring my drums. In fact, I had given up on drums altogether to play bass. I always keep my eye out for good kits though at killer prices. When I saw this WLX I could not pass up the opportunity. Planning on keeping them for a long time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post

MGRushFan,
                    I'm looking forward to pics as well!
                    Series 2 Worlds are 1987 onwards. Yours look to be Ferrari red.

Again, IIRC, The World's, and the DLX/DX, came out with pinstripe batters for a reason. Both series love them.
                    If you want more open sounds than pinstripes, sure, go with coated Emps.

Having said that, if that kit is a keeper, then go further. Add Opti/Optas's, GK90's and Air suspension feet for the FT's.
                    That will open up these drums more than any head choice.

Oh, and finally, it's the World series that are the grandfather of the Masters series...
                    Thanks 3. I'll check into the pinstripes. I remember back in the 80's so many kits came with them. It's almost like the drums were engineered around that head.

Regarding the other stuff you mentioned, I'm torn actually. First I don't really want to invest too much money into the kit other than new heads, but perhaps more importantly I'm leaning towards the philosophy of allowing these drums to "be what they are." Back in the 80's very few of us knew or cared about extra resonance, holes in the shells, air suspension etc. We just used what we had and got on with it. I went thru a phase where I did just what you suggested with some amazing Pearl finds (that I never posted). It all kind of left me flat, even though I do agree these things do bring out sounds that are inherent in the drums, but hidden due to the old hardware. I think I'm just gonna set em up as is and take the damping and choking in stride for a while and see how it sits with me. Plus, the 14 can't take an optimount anyway due to it being a 6 lugger. Excellent suggestion though and I thank you for making it.

I'll post some more pics of the toms later. The kicks and floors I actually had to store at my folks place (lol, first time since 1991 they've had to deal with that!) because I don't have room in my tiny NYC apartment for all of them.....and my girlfriends closets full of clothes she never wears....

Comment

Thanks for the update. I always thought they were the same.

Comment

New thread when entire kit is setup. Amazing condition!
                        sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

haha .. I couldn't resist pointing it out .. You would have if I didn't
                          Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                          Thank goodness you popped that up BA
                          Saved me from having to do it.

Definitely took care of them .... would of loved to see kit pics of that restored G series you snagged cheap .. they are great sounding drums
                          Originally posted by MGRushFan View Post
                          Thanks man. I think he did play them because the heads were the only thing that were pretty well used on the kit. He was just one of those people that made sure every drum had a case, he wore gloves while handling etc. I took off the heads before I actually bought because I was worried about hidden flaws like ply separation and bearing edge damage. There was none to speak of.

That G series is long gone, but I definitely miss it sometimes. I love the sound of the 100% in and out lacquer. Some of the best recorded tones I ever got came from an MLX kit with in/out lacquer. Very reflective, open and fat at the same time. I tend to buy, clean, play for a little while then sell. However, I've reached a point this past year where I'm no longer too interested in retiring my drums. In fact, I had given up on drums altogether to play bass. I always keep my eye out for good kits though at killer prices. When I saw this WLX I could not pass up the opportunity. Planning on keeping them for a long time to come.
                          No prob .. couldn't resist .. now you know .. caring is sharing
                          Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                          Thanks for the update. I always thought they were the same.

Comment

As promised, pics of the racks. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03569.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	5204342Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03570.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	5204343Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03571.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	5204344Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03572.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	5204345

Comment

h. would of loved to see kit pics of that restored G series you snagged cheap .. they are great sounding drums
                              You know, I think I confused the G series you referred to with my old GLX. The G series were the ones I picked up for $200 or so a couple years ago. My god those were amazing. I still kick myself for selling them, but in those years I was trying to divest myself of everything to fund a Fender Precision. Those GLX's I was talking about were in 2005 or so. I ended up seeing them somewhere for sale, but I forget the details. They were very easy to spot because they were never factory drilled for hardware and had all RIMS mounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X