Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help replacing tacked on bottom head for 1939 Ludwig & Ludwig tom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help replacing tacked on bottom head for 1939 Ludwig & Ludwig tom.

I have searched both this forum and others, but haven't quite found the information I am looking for. Does anyone know how to replace a tacked on calfskin drum head on a vintage tom? I have found bits and pieces of information, but have not been able to get any detailed instructions. If you have successfully done this, can you give some information on how to do it? Thanks!
    Attached Files
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

There's info of one guy replacing calfskin heads (with tacks) on the vintage drum guide.
    It's attached to post 1 in this thread:
    http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/show...hlight=tacking

In the other various threads on the net regarding rolling calfskin onto flesh hoops, one could perhaps gleen that to have the calfskin totally saturated in water prior to replacing is the go, presumably so that as the calfskin dries, it tightens.

Not much, hope it helps though...
    Last edited by 3pearlkits; 10-04-2016, 02:41 PM.
    My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
    My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
    My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
    Catalogue Corner Thread
    Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
    My Snare build

Comment

Thank 3pk

I did see that thread and it helped some, but I was looking for a little more detailed info. Some of the best info I have found so far was on websites about banjos with tacked on heads.

I may need to just get a skin and go for it. At $30-40 for a skin, I really don't want to mess it up.

I think I need to just soak the skin, install it on the drum and gently stretch it as much as possible, then let it dry and hopefully it will shrink a bit and tighten up.
      I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

Working...
      X