Vintage Hayman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Hayman

Posted this in the Show Us Your Kits-section, but since she's between 40 and 50 years old I'm posting here aswell. So many nice vintage kits here and I hope you'll enjoy my Hayman:

Today was a rare sunny day in Gothenburg, Sweden. I decided to take my Hayman kit out for a photo shoot and here you have her:

Specs:

Hayman Vibrasonic (60s/70s. birch/mahogany) rewrapped in Red Ripple:
    22" * 14" (PS3 Clear/Fiberskin)
    13" * 9" (Emperor Clear/Ambassador Clear)
    16" * 16" (Emperor Clear/Ambassador Clear)

I am not 100% sure about the shell material for each drum but I believe the 13" tom to be mixed mahogany/birch. The 16" and 22" I believe to be pure birch. The sound is amazing. The rack tom sings with a warm tone, the floor tom may be the best 16" I've heard! The bass drum has been only drum I've struggled with tuning- and head wise. Now it packs a punch and good low end, but I am not 100% satisfied...only 95% =) I may have to try Aquarian, I've heard great things about their bass drum heads!

Tama Artwood:
    14" * 6.5" (Coated CS Dot/Ambassador Snare) retro-fitted with die-cast hoops.

Cheap maple snare, but what a drum! I couldn't believe it when I bought it! Seriously, it is as good as any masters/starclassic/ maple snare I've played. My main snare these days, the Supra sees less and less action.

Sabian HHX:
    15" Groove Hats
    19" Stage Crash
    20" Stage Crash
    21" Groove Ride

Loud, warm crashes. Warm yet defined hats. Great crash ride with a killer bell. Could't be happier!

Sonor:
    Jojo Mayer Perfect Balance

Bougth this after much contemplating. The reviews online have been mixed, and when I first tried it, I didn't like it. But as I play more and more shows, the portability really made it intresting anyway. So I sat down with it at my local drum shop, played around with settings and beaters and it came out great. It's super responsive, but with the right beater (good ol' pearl quad) and the right settings (medium wire tension, maximum shaft length) it's powerful. Love it!

Mixed hardware.
    Cat.

Cheers/John

Check out my first album with Perkele!
    My beloved Sonor S Classix
    My vintage Hayman kit in the sun

Nice kit and setting!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
    8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
    Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

very nice. Is it a rewrap? It looks great and the Hayman wraps didn't wear very well. Really nicely made kits that aren't very common.

Comment

Thank you guys! Yeah, it's a rewrap. As you say fayray, the original wraps didn't age or wear well. This kit was black before it was rewrapped in this gorgeous red ripple from delmar.

And yeah, they're not common, at least not outside of England. Great kit with similarities to DW

Comment

Yeah, that wrap looks great. Here's mine. It's called the recording kit in the catalogs. 18/12/14 +snare
          Click image for larger version

Name:	1-SAM_0011.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	5180707

Comment

That's a nice one! I really would like to get my hands on a 14" floor..or an 18" bass drum for that matter. How's the tom holder? I've heard that it can snap your fingers clean off if your not careful!

Comment

they're not that bad but they will skin your knuckles It seems they didn't make many 18s and 14s which means they probably didn't sell well at the time.

Comment

I found some old catalouges and they also made 18" floor toms and 24" and 26" kicks. Probably not to common either. Would love to get my hands on a 18" floor and a 26" though, bonzo-style Hayman sounds sick!

Comment

Working...
                X