Early 60's Slingerland Gene Krupa Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 60's Slingerland Gene Krupa Deluxe

I picked this up today from the original owner who purchased it in 1961. The kit is great condition with a set of Zildjians from the same year (15" hats, 12" crash/splash, 20" ride).

I haven't had a chance to really clean and tune it, but it still sounds pretty killer. I love the look of the dark mahogany inner ply with maple re-rings.

I'm thinking of putting vintage coated Ambassadors on the batters, perhaps clear ambassadors on the bottom. Any suggestions for a bass batter that would both look and sound vintage?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2768320866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	5288288

Sent from my Starclassic Snare.
    Attached Files
    I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

The Vater vintage bomber bass drum beater should do the trick for the sound you're looking for.
    Doing the best with what i've got.

Comment

What if you went with a Fiberskyn for the batter? That screams classic, IMHO.
      Pearl Export in Satin Black
      6|8|10|10x7|12x9|13x10|16x16|16x16|18x16|22x16
      14x6.5 Snare
      14x5 Ludwig Acrolyte
      Zildjian/Sabian/Wuhan
      LP/Treeworks

Comment

Originally posted by MeaninglessPhoto View Post
        What if you went with a Fiberskyn for the batter? That screams classic, IMHO.
        +1. Fiberskyn all around, I'd say. Nice find!
        Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
        Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
        Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
        Rogers: 13-16-22
        Yamaha, Tama, snares
        Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

Yeah I was thinking fiberskyn too as an option. I really like the look of Aquarian's Vintage line of heads, but I don't have any experience with them.

I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

Originally posted by drummaman1 View Post
            +1. Fiberskyn all around, I'd say. Nice find!
            + 1 = 3

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
            8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
            Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

nice kit for sure! enjoy
              got G.A.S. ?

Comment

I love it when you can get the entire history as well.
                That kit looks very well kept.

Great score ...
                My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
                My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
                My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
                Catalogue Corner Thread
                Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
                My Snare build

Comment

gorgeous vintage kit man!
                  Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

Comment

+1 on Vintage Ambassadors, great drum heads. If you want to keep it looking vintage then why not just keep that Slingerland head on it ?
                    Tama Drums, Dream Cymbals, Remo Heads, Pellwood Drumsticks

Comment

Originally posted by AutomaticWriting View Post
                      +1 on Vintage Ambassadors, great drum heads. If you want to keep it looking vintage then why not just keep that Slingerland head on it ?
                      I plan to keep the Slingerland resonant bass head, but I'm looking for a new batter since its really worn out and has 1/4 inch of moleskin where the beater kits.

Comment

My suggestion would be Coated Vintage Ambassador batters, and Coated Ambassador resos - that's what I have on my '64 Ludwigs.

As for the kick, I've got a coated Powerstroke 3 batter, and smooth white ambassador with Ludwig logo on reso.

The Vater Vintage Bomber is a great addition too.
                        • Pearl Masters MCX in Bronze Glass > 22, 10, 12, 14 & 16
                        • Ludwig 1963 Pre-Serial in Galaxy Sparkle > 20, 13 & 16
                        • 14x5 Ludwig '68 Supraphonic, 14x6.5 Pearl Brass Steve Ferrone, 14x6.5 Ludwig LM402, 13x7 Tama SLP G Maple & Pearl 13x3 Brass Piccolo Snares
                        • Meinl Byzance Cymbals

Comment

Not sure if it's a vintage sound or not but the suedes would sound really good on that kit. I have a friend with a 60's club date he had since new & we put black suede Emp over Amb & it sounds killer. Warm & resonant with perfect mellow overtones.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieNeedham View Post
                            My suggestion would be Coated Vintage Ambassador batters, and Coated Ambassador resos - that's what I have on my '64 Ludwigs.

As for the kick, I've got a coated Powerstroke 3 batter, and smooth white ambassador with Ludwig logo on reso.

The Vater Vintage Bomber is a great addition too.
                            A PS3 might be nice since I would rather have something with a bit of overtone control instead of using a felt strip (which I suppose would be more authentic). Felt strips are ok, but I'm not a huge fan.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Vintage Bomber, may need to pick one up.

Comment

I have no dampening other than a felt strip - sounds very authentic.
                              • Pearl Masters MCX in Bronze Glass > 22, 10, 12, 14 & 16
                              • Ludwig 1963 Pre-Serial in Galaxy Sparkle > 20, 13 & 16
                              • 14x5 Ludwig '68 Supraphonic, 14x6.5 Pearl Brass Steve Ferrone, 14x6.5 Ludwig LM402, 13x7 Tama SLP G Maple & Pearl 13x3 Brass Piccolo Snares
                              • Meinl Byzance Cymbals

Comment

Working...
                              X