Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ubiquitious, Please I.D. This Set Thread! : )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ubiquitious, Please I.D. This Set Thread! : )

Hello everybody! I've been "lurking" (sounds so weird) the forums for a while just garnering random information. Well, this past weekend I picked up a Pearl drum set that has no badges and I have no idea what model or vintage it actually is. I have a nice Export series set as my set that my kids and I play on, but I saw this "new" set for sale and it intrigued me so much I had to buy it. Maybe to keep and play if I like the sound (this baby is boomy so far, but haven't done much tuning except the floor tom which I have next to my Export set as an extra tom ) Or perhaps to pass on to someone who would appreciate the set for it's vintage and pay me millions of millions dollars for it! LOL

If anybody can provide any input on what this is an what it may be worth I would be very happy for that.

Here is what I can tell, the drums are HEAVY, the interior of the shells is unfinished, no varnish or anything. The exterior is a wood wrap it appears and I don't know what wood it is. They appear to have been refinished at some point because the air hole grommets are gone and the badges too. Anyway, without further ado, here are the pictures:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sixtyfourthwhat?; 12-16-2013, 04:02 PM.

a few more pictures:
    Attached Files

Comment

didn't know there was a limit for uploading pictues.............
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks like an Export to me, that's been had it's wrap removed and someone had a poor attempt at staining it. Age wise, I'm gonna say end of the 80's, turn of the 90's, maybe up to '93? Possibly a bit later, I can't remember when they changed the lugs and badges.

From memory, the shells were 9ply "basswood" and Philippine "mahogany" (fancy name for Luan)

I've got an 18" floor tom from that series/generation at home, which is part of my Premier/hybrid kit, and I gigged with many of these kits over the years; either house kits or friends kits. Never owned a full set though, which is a shame as I liked them. The later, 100% poplar ones were my faves of all the Exports though. Great sounding kits!
        sigpic
        PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
        22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
        PICSPICS 2
        “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
        Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Well, thanks for the input, much appreciated..........

They certainly are deeper than the toms on my other Export set (my other set has the small lugs, so it must be newer, bought that second hand too)

Oh well, not going to become a BLX millionaire anytime soon like I had hoped. Thanks again! : )

Comment

What Thrush said is my initial impression as well.

Easy enough to tell. If those long lugs are three pieces and not one, then it's an export.

From the period Thrush mentioned the shells should be 9 ply, 8 luan/mahogany and 1 of birch.

Yep, they're power toms, or at the time "Deep" or "Deep Force".
            They should be 12 (diam) x 10 and 13 x 11.

The deep toms were a fad that lasted a long time lol. Many people have reverted to a preference for standard sizing, which in the case of the 12 would be 9" deep and the 13 10".

I love 80's power toms...
            My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
            My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
            My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
            Catalogue Corner Thread
            Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
            My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
              What Thrush said is my initial impression as well.

Easy enough to tell. If those long lugs are three pieces and not one, then it's an export.
              Easy enough to see from the pics, they are indeed three piece, Hence Export.

From the period Thrush mentioned the shells should be 9 ply, 8 luan/mahogany and 1 of birch.
              That was only Export Pro, no? Previous to that, they were "basswood" (essentially, pretty much any hardwood) and luan I thought?

From the '89 catalogue (which was pre "Pro" - that was '91 I think?) (won't embed the pics as I deliberately left the res really high so as to read the words)

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2h717bn.jpg
              http://oi39.tinypic.com/33o36dz.jpg

I love 80's power toms...
              Me too!

Here's a (not great) pic from the same catalogue

sigpic
              PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
              22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
              PICSPICS 2
              “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
              Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Originally posted by Thrush View Post
                Easy enough to see from the pics, they are indeed three piece, Hence Export.
                I wasn't sure from the pics. I just offered up a way to tell so the OP could figure it out themselves

That was only Export Pro, no? Previous to that, they were "basswood" (essentially, pretty much any hardwood) and luan I thought?
                I've been reminded on more than one occassion recently that catalogues can be, at times, misleading.
                When it comes to Exports, I use Gene O's (what I consider to be) definitive Export series history timeline (.pdf) , first posted in the forum years ago.

I eliminated 1989 as an option because, although that was the first year of the 3 piece HT lugs (according to above source), it would be plainly obvious if the shells had the acousticoat sealer, which didn't appear on the 1990 shells.

The timeline doesn't describe the Pro series as such, only series names, so EX/ELX etc.

It's hard huh? The timeline for the EX's from 87 to 89 describes the shells as 9 ply "select hardwood". In 90 the EX and the ESX is described as 8 ply mahogany (we understand that mahogany in this instance would be Phillipine Mahogany aka luan) with a birch inner ply. And so on it goes. Basswood never gets a mention, but if that's what you call it, it's on the money.

The weird thing is that luan, by definition, is any number of Asian based hardwood species, and commonly have large open grained pores which don't lend themselves to great finishes.

So some years they say hardwood, other years they say hardwood, but in another way lol....
                Catalogue Corner Thread
                My Snare build

Comment

No .. all 1990-1993 EX, ESX, EPX had same 9 ply shells which were 8 Mahogany + 1 Birch inner

previous to 1990 the 1986 EX was 9 ply Mahogany, 1987-1989 EX had 9 ply "select wood" with acoustic coat sealer .. select wood can be anything

Comment

I'll say this, the exterior sure does look like a mahogany with it's open grain now that I've been looking around. These things play really well, and I'm happy that the hardware mounts are the "compression style" versus my other Export set (with small lugs) that you basically have to turn the drum key into the bar until it holds, the damned bars are all pushed in from different mounting points over the years.

Comment

I wasn't sure from the pics. I just offered up a way to tell so the OP could figure it out themselves

I've been reminded on more than one occassion recently that catalogues can be, at times, misleading.
                      When it comes to Exports, I use Gene O's (what I consider to be) definitive Export series history timeline (.pdf) , first posted in the forum years ago.

I eliminated 1989 as an option because, although that was the first year of the 3 piece HT lugs (according to above source), it would be plainly obvious if the shells had the acousticoat sealer, which didn't appear on the 1990 shells.

The timeline doesn't describe the Pro series as such, only series names, so EX/ELX etc.

It's hard huh? The timeline for the EX's from 87 to 89 describes the shells as 9 ply "select hardwood". In 90 the EX and the ESX is described as 8 ply mahogany (we understand that mahogany in this instance would be Phillipine Mahogany aka luan) with a birch inner ply. And so on it goes. Basswood never gets a mention, but if that's what you call it, it's on the money.

The weird thing is that luan, by definition, is any number of Asian based hardwood species, and commonly have large open grained pores which don't lend themselves to great finishes.

So some years they say hardwood, other years they say hardwood, but in another way lol....
                      dang you .. I was typing and posted and saw you posted already .. we're on same track .. :-) .. although the timeline does refer the Pro series as EPX .. nothing fancy about it compared to other exports.. the EPX came with IMS mounts instead .. before Pearl changed name to ISS

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyfourthwhat? View Post
                        I'll say this, the exterior sure does look like a mahogany with it's open grain now that I've been looking around.
                        it is mahogany (luan)

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                          it is mahogany (luan)
                          Cool, I like the grain, it looks really cool!

Are these "compression" style mounts the "IMS" mounts you were speaking of earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyfourthwhat? View Post
                            Are these "compression" style mounts the "IMS" mounts you were speaking of earlier?
                            no .. the ones on your kit are the through the shell Pearl mounts.. IMS mounts were same as ISS mounts .. instead of mount on shell the mount had hooks/claws that mounted to hoops ..here's a pic

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                              dang you .. I was typing and posted and saw you posted already .. we're on same track .. :-) .. although the timeline does refer the Pro series as EPX
                              Tis all good BA.
                              Missed the mention of Pro though. Arrr wait, I see what you're saying.
                              That would require you'd have to know that EPX is Pro...
                              Catalogue Corner Thread
                              My Snare build

Comment

Working...
                              X