help identify this Pearl kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identify this Pearl kit

I bought this based on the one crappy photo for the equivalent of $290usd. I noticed the metal bass drum hoops and figured it was a lower line model but then, based on the lug spacing from the tom mount, figured it was likely a 10 lug bass drum which would make it a higher end model? Does anyone have an idea based on this vague photo? Figured it was worth a punt for that money. It comes with soft cases which I thought was a good sign that it's been looked after.
    Attached Files

Almost looks like a lacquer finish, but as you said, it's hard to tell from that terrible picture.

Comment

Yeah, I thought lacquer too. Just got a text from the seller saying it's an Export. Turns out my lug counting calculations were a bit out. Unless there's a 10 lug Export model?

Comment

Some 24" Export bass drums had ten lugs. But this looks to be a bog standard 12-13-16-22 ELX kit. Late nineties. Only thing that doesn't add up is the chrome bass drum hoops, those should be black powder-coated.

Nothing to sneeze at, mind you. Exports are fine kits.
        1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
        1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
        1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
        1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
        1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black
        Roland TD-20SX
        Roland TD-30KV

Comment

Hard to tell without seeing the badges really, and/or the lugs, but I'm leaning to go with gyorpb here. Could be a wrapped EX or a lacquered ELX even. Hoops may well have been changed; especially if it's an ELX, as they came with fully finished wood hoops around that time (97ish to 99 I think?) and they could well have been damaged and steel replacements were much cheaper.

And yes, Exports are fine kits. Played many a show on Exports; either house kits, another band on the bill, or friends kits.
          sigpic
          PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
          22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
          PICSPICS 2
          “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
          Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Thanks for the help. Not really vintage so sorry for putting it in the wrong section. I have a friend who's keen on a good, affordable kit so I think this might be just the kit for him. I'll confirm exactly what it is when I get them.

Comment

Working...
            X