Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Premier restoration-ish

Hi guys,
    Sorry in advance that my writing is pretty crap but I thought I would give this a go.
    This is my first post on here so we will see how this goes

A couple of years ago I was give a vintage premier kit by a guy who owns a rehearsal studio. It was quite a nice sounding kit, but was in dire need of new heads. I used it for a while but couldn't get used to the huge 14" tom i was using as my rack tom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	5285348

So luckily one day I was rummaging around the spare stuff at the studio and found a matching 10" tom. I asked if i could swap it with him for the 16" tom and sure enough he agreed. Now I was really happy with the set. As I like to have quite a tight set up, the small 10" and 14" toms worked perfect.

Name:	2.jpeg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	5285349

After a while of using it I decide I wanted to make it look a bit better, which is what I am still doing at the moment. First thing I did was to give it a new paint job. I removed the old scratched and worn wrap and found a lovely black stain underneath. Unfortunately though the ridiculously sticky wrap pulled a lot of it off so this was unusable. At this point I also noticed that the bass drum used to be a 10 lug and had been changed to a 8 lug. Who ever owned this kit before me really butchered it. Once I sanded it down I decided to spray it matte black. The result looked like this.

Name:	1 w:o logo.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	5285350

This is what I have at the moment, and to be fair, I am happy with how it looks. Also, now it has been completely re-skined, It sounds really nice. However I wanna do some more, so I mocked an image up quickly in Photoshop to see how it would look with some new details.

Name:	2logo.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	5285351

As you can see, I am planning to add new bass drum spurs, the logo, maybe a holz, some premier badge decals and the floor tom needs a new bracket. Other things I wanna do is buy some more lugs and claws and turn the bass drum back into a 10 lug. I may also buy some gauger mounts, for the toms. I think this would greatly improve the sound as the brackets are currently attached straight to the shell which is chocking the sound of the drums.

So let me know what you think, any ideas/ opinions on what I could do improve the kit.
    My Premier Resonator project:
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...post1854126095

The new spurs, premier logo on the reso and chrome holz all look fantastic. Definitely do them. If you're in the UK i can put you into contact with a guy who made the vinyl logo for my kit (see the link in my sig for the end results). He's very cheap and quick.

Old kit: Gretsch New Classic

Comment

Hi, Thanks, I really think it looks good too so hopefully I can order the parts this week and will post some pics next weekend. As for the logo, I found some vinyl premier logos on ebay which are like £2 so I'm definitely gonna give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by JDStockwin View Post
        Hi guys,

This is my first post on here so we will see how this goes
        Hey Welcome to the PDF

Be great to see it all when it's done...
        My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
        My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
        My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
        Catalogue Corner Thread
        Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
        My Snare build

Comment

Ok. Do the premier badges appear to be on plinths?? Is the finish like a black purple woodgrain lacquer?? Cause from where I am stood, you appear to have yourself perhaps the finest vintage premier kit ever made, the black shadow resonator.. If it is, the inner shells will be black, you won't see screws, its an inner shell reso chamber. Unless they've been removed. I am pretty certain its a BSR. Those dagger lugs are a dead give away. Fire some pics of the badges and the insides of the shells, and the shell finish.
          "Let your Darkside be your compass..

Looking for Premier Black shadow resonator 10" tom and 18" floor tom!

Comment

Looks like a virgin bass, too.

Comment

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...CON&highlight=

there's a thread with mine in. I'd leave it original, the spurs, etc, don't butcher it, its a classic, man!!

Comment

I'm pretty sure its not a resonator. It has standard shells and there are no badges. Who ever had the kit before me had butchered it to **** and most of the fittings are broke (hence replacement of brackets and spurs etc.) It was originally a 10 lug bass drum, which did have a tom mount on it but for some reason he changed it to a 8 lug bass drum. Under the wrap he put on were a load of holes from where the old lugs were. I filled the hole in where the tom mount was as I don't use it and I think it looks better that having it there and not using it. The finish was the same as yours but he had put a black wrap on top which looked crap and was all creased and stuff. When I took it off it pulled most of the original stain off, that's why I ended up spraying it matte black. Looks pretty smart now though. The floor tom in the picture still had the original wrap on at the time. I'm gonna try and restore some of the original features such as badges and stuff but I'm gonna make it look a bit more modern too with the spurs and rims mounts (mainly because I think it will improve the sound considerably too).

Comment

Thinking about it, it could have been a resonator, if it is possible to take the inner shell out, as it dose look identical to yours and I have struggled to find any other kits with the same lugs. I would not be surprised really. It does sound fantastic at the moment though.

Comment

looks good man

Comment

Most of the stuff I ordered has come. roll on the weekend so I can get this stuff fitted.

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	5169197

Comment

It was a Black shadow resonator, man. Certain of it.

Comment

Here is some Pics of what I did the weekend:

New Spurs, logo and Bass drum O.

Name:	Photo on 27-04-2013 at 16.58 #2.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	5169315

New badges

Name:	Photo on 27-04-2013 at 17.04.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	5169316

Also, if any one is interested, I got a new Evans level 360 G1 head for my snare. Haven't had a chance to properly try it out yet but there was definitely a noticeable improvement in sound and tuning range when I was tuning it up. Ill post some set up pics next weekend after band practice.

Comment

You need some proper Premier badges on those bro, the vent is the hole in the P.

Comment

Some more pics:

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	5169399

Name:	IMG_1222.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	5169400

Comment

Working...
                              X