Pearl MLX Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dazashman View Post
    I am thinking of wraping the kit with a stripe (i.e. wrapping each shell with 3 strips of drum wrap) has anyone here tried this? How difficult is it? Any tips?
    Make your life easier and order a custom wrap with those colors. I suppose you could maybe melt the 3 strips of wrap along the seams, but doing 3 wrap jobs/drum gives room for a lot of error, and if something is done slightly wrong you'll see the wood. it sounds sloppy going the route of having 3 pieces of wrap.
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

Comment

I don't think anywhere in the UK supplies custom Glass Glitter drum wrap. If anyone knows differently please let me know??

I have been working on some custom drum badges using acid etching for that real vintage look. See attached for pics.

This is only my first attempt and their is definitely room for improvement. The process I have followed is:

1. Laser printed the design on to the glossy side of some label paper backing (with labels removed).
      2. Heat transferred the design onto aluminium discs (bought from ebay), using an iron.
      3. Added the disc to a Ferric Chloride bath for about 45mins. Placed shallow glass jar containing the bath on a hot water bottle to speed up the process.
      4. Cleaned disk up using washing up liquid then white spirit.
      5. Lightly sprayed disc with black car paint.
      6. Sanded surface with fine wet and dry paper and then polished with Brasso.

Next time I will try using simple glossy photo-paper for the transfer as I have seen some very detailed PCB boards made this way.

Any suggestions welcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-24 18.17.55.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	5167797

Name:	2013-03-24 18.18.26.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	5167798

Name:	2013-03-24 18.19.03.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	5167799

Name:	2013-03-24 18.19.32.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	5167800
      Currently stripping a Pearl MLX, email me on Dazashman@aol.com if you need anything.

Mapex Saturn
      Pearl MLX
      Sabian HHX, Zildjian K, Paiste Rude

Comment

So, I have finally finished restoring/customising these amazing drums. Pictures of the finished results are below.

I have also recorded with the finished drums and they sound just as good as before they were wrapped. If anything they are more resonant for loosing the long heavy lugs.

Enjoy!

Name:	IMG_5587.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	5180454Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5590.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	5180455Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5596.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	5180456Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5599.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	5180457
        Currently stripping a Pearl MLX, email me on Dazashman@aol.com if you need anything.

Mapex Saturn
        Pearl MLX

Comment

And some more...

Name:	IMG_5608.jpg
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	5180458Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	5180459Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5623.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	5180460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5644.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5180461

Mapex Saturn
          Pearl MLX

Comment

Well, it bears no resemblance, whatsoever, to its former self, but it looks fantastic. Excellent job on the facelift. So I see you put some sort of RIMS-style mounting system on the toms, but they don't look like RIMS. What are they?
            "It doesn't matter if it is good, it only matters if it rocks." -- Tenacious D.

The DLX
            The MLX
            Gretsch Broadkaster

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marknu1 View Post
              Well, it bears no resemblance, whatsoever, to its former self, but it looks fantastic. Excellent job on the facelift.
              +1.

Comment

What did you end up doing for the badges, the finished ones look the dogs ball bags?

Stunning job overall chap, classy...

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I have also had a few questions asked via private message.

When I was researching the best way to achieve the custom look I was after I didn't find a massive amount of help on-line. I found next to no info on how to wrap a kit with stripes and the info I did find seemed to discourage it as being too difficult. I wondered if custom drum makers were keeping their methods secret to prevent regular mortals achieving a look that most drummers would have to pay megabucks for.

Not that my project was cheap!! I Replacing the lugs and hardware was the single largest expense. I tried to find deals on ebay but ended getting most of the lugs from Highwood Drums who were very helpful but had to order the size I needed from the US which took months.

I got the wraps from ST Drums (https://www.stdrums.de/) in Germany who stocked the high quality Delmar wraps I wanted and seemed to be cheaper than elsewhere. They were very helpful and offered some tips on how to glue wrap stripes. They also sell the contact adhesive which is hard to find in the UK but I had already sourced some from elsewhere.

I will post some more picks and info about the materials and methods used to help anyone else thinking about doing a similar job.

Mapex Saturn
                  Pearl MLX

Comment

For the drum badges, I found some inexpensive 6 cm aluminium discs on ebay that were intended for door signs/labels. They were just flexible enough to be bent around the shape of the drum and were already drilled so were perfect. I then sprayed them black with car spray paint. Once they were dry I gave them a light (mist) coat of spray car lacquer and waited for that to dry before adding the gold water decal from Rothko And Frost (http://shop.rothkoandfrost.co.uk/cus...ecal-transfer/).

Once the decal had dried I gave the badge another mist coat of lacquer and then a further 2 full coats allowing a couple of hours for each to dry.

Name:	2013-05-18 21.41.39.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	5180788

Mapex Saturn
                    Pearl MLX

Comment

For the wraps, I firstly checked that all the cuts were straight and then taped each set of 3 strips together using normal masking tape.

I then applied 2 coats of contact adhesive (3M Scotch Weld Contact Adhesive (Neutral)) to the shell and 1 coat to the back of the wrap and the front overlap area.

Name:	20131111_182215.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	5180789Click image for larger version

Name:	20131111_182200.jpg
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	5180790Click image for larger version

Name:	20131026_142233.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	5180791

My first attempt at gluing the wrap failed. DO NOT TRY TO GLUE YOUR DRUM IN AN UNHEATED GARAGE IN SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURES.

I brought the glue and all of the materials indoors and let then warm up before I tried again.

After allowing 45mins for the glue to ‘go off’ I stood the wrap on it’s edge, in a ‘U’ shape, on a flat surface with 2 heavy objects either side to stop the wrap from springing out of the ‘U’. I then carefully slid the shell into the ‘U’ and back against the wrap. After, wrapping the shell, I superglued the edge of the overlap and rolled the drum on a flat surface and applied pressure with a wallpaper roller to ensure maximum contact.

Mapex Saturn
                      Pearl MLX

Comment

To trim the wrap around the bearing edges, I used a metal rasping file (at a steeper angle than the bearing edge) to feather the wrap into the edge, ensuring that the wrap would not overlap or interfere with where the drum head meets the bearing edge. I then smoothed the wrap edge with some fine sandpaper and cleaned any excess glue.

Name:	20140111_171031.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5180792Click image for larger version

Name:	20140111_171138.jpg
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	5180793

Mapex Saturn
                        Pearl MLX

Comment

Cool. I'm still very curious about what type of RIMS-like tom mount you used. I've never seen anything quite like it.
                          "It doesn't matter if it is good, it only matters if it rocks." -- Tenacious D.

The DLX
                          The MLX
                          Gretsch Broadkaster

sigpic

Comment

The RIM-like system is a Premier RIM with a Ludwig style tom mount. attached to it.

Mapex Saturn
                            Pearl MLX

Comment

nice job

Comment

Working...
                              X