• Show
Clear All

• my first vintage score

Click image for larger version

Name:	bugnai.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	5282227

So, i got a bit lucky, found an ad in a local website ant picked these up for free today. I think it's a 70-80's Tacton/Trova drum kit made in the former Czechoslovakia. I think it's a 3 ply beech shell with solid reinforcement rings on toms and 3ply reinforcement rings on the bass drum and they all come with rounded edges. Toms are in good shape, but the bass drum will need some work to get it to working condition. The snare and hardware is total junk, and i'm not going to bother with it, but it did come with a interesting soviet era pearl/tama knockoff pedal, which i will be repairing tonight. On toms and floor tom the wrap is in good condition, but on bass drum it has plenty of cracks and tears from heat exposure. I'm not sure yet if it's worth bringing this kit to a top condition, but i've been searching for a fun and cheap restoration project for a while.
    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

cool color.
    -~=Joey=~-
    ---------------
    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

Comment

Originally posted by playinpearls View Post
      cool color.
      It would be at home with some stoner rock band
      Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Totally awesome, you don't see Slavic kits here in the US, so the design is quite interesting to me. The snare looks like it has a George Way-style butt with gut wires and fake Ludwig Imperial lugs. I'd love to see photos of the hardware and pedal as you refurbish! I think even with the bass drum in poor cosmetic shape, this will be an awesome kit.
        www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

That kit is sweet! I love that finish!! Congrats on an awesome find. I love barn find kits
          "Fast is fine, but ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING"
          - Wyatt Earp

Comment

I love the colour too!
            Have fun restoring that.
            I'm looking forward to seeing the end result...
            My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
            My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
            My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
            Catalogue Corner Thread
            Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
            My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by barjack View Post
              Totally awesome, you don't see Slavic kits here in the US, so the design is quite interesting to me. The snare looks like it has a George Way-style butt with gut wires and fake Ludwig Imperial lugs. I'd love to see photos of the hardware and pedal as you refurbish! I think even with the bass drum in poor cosmetic shape, this will be an awesome kit.
              I will try to deliver.
              You don't hear much about these kits, because frankly, they were just awful. There were 3 main soviet era manufacturers of drums and hardware - Rmif, Amati and Tacton. They all used almost identical hardware and wrapped-only beech shells, only the lugs and bolts differed. They were made with no options, and not much care for quality, so the bearing edges were always rounded or even flat. As far as i know, the only available sizes were 20/10/12/14 and 13,5 or 14in snares. Some shells were slightly oversized, so remo heads doesn't fit them. Mounting systems were always through the shell, old Rogers style. As far as i know there were two types of stands, both utilizing direct pressure collars - flat based and regulars, but both of them were single braced and very wobbly. The lugs, later pedal designs and even racks were copied mostly from Sonor and Pearl models. Now with that being said these kits have some advantages as well. They were built like tanks with common bolts and pieces, so if anything broke you could instantly fix it yourself. Today there are thousands of these cheap kits in the eastern europe and they will outlast most modern taiwaneese kits many times over.

Here is a video showing an amati kit with harware http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuXQ...eature=related
              Last edited by beermaniac; 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM.
              Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Cool project!
                (Mostly) Masters Premium MRP

Comment

definitely different. the wrap almost looks like a psychedelic red bowling ball wrap from an early 70s ludwig kit....it might clean and polish up better than you think right now....we shall see...

Comment

So today i took everything apart and inspected what's what and took some pictures for you guys The wrap on the bass is ruined, and the edges are awful (typical for these drums):

Name:	IMG_4700.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	5155784

Name:	IMG_4701.jpg
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	5155785

Name:	IMG_4702.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	5155786
                    So i decided to throw the bass drum away and from these toms build a 3 piece shell pack

Name:	IMG_4698.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	5155787
                    It will be a 16x16 bass, 12x7,67 tom and a 13x8,26 floor tom
                    Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

These shells are by far the thinnest i've ever seen at 3mm each. They are in fact so thin that higher tunings dent them.
                      It seems that these drums were made by taking a 3 ply piece of plywood, steambending them into shape and then adding extra piece of 2ply wood over the seem for strength:

Name:	IMG_4696.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	5155788
                      The edges need some work and the wrap is coming off at some spots, but i think i'll manage to squeeze something out of this. Now, at this point i must say, that i'm not going to be spending ANY money on it, this is just for fun.
                      yesterday i fixed up the pedal that came with this set. It's one of the most adjustable pedals i've ever seen, and the best soviet union had to offer:

Name:	IMG_4703.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	5155789

Name:	IMG_4705.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	5155790
                      I has a classical round cam made from cast aluminum, independent beater angle, footboard hight adjustments, and one of the most interesting adjustments i've ever seen:

Name:	IMG_4706.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	5155791
                      You can not only set the spring tension, but also how much you'd want the tension to increase on the down stroke. That's just insane, and never understood why modern pedals don't have this feature. It came with a broken leather strap for drive, so i made one from an old nylon belt i had lying around works well so far.
                      Last edited by beermaniac; 06-27-2012, 05:35 AM.
                      Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Also, i must add, that regular beaters won't fit this pedal, because the shaft has to be threaded, so i made the beater from a steel rod, a couple of nuts and a skateboard wheel i had lying around
                        The hoop clamp was missing as well, so i had to make one from sheet metal and a couple of bolts

Name:	IMG_4707.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	5155792
                        Now, Barjak was curious about the lugs. i have 4 types of lugs from old soviet sets at hand (sorry for the lightning):
                        Vintage Amati's:

Name:	IMG_4712.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	5155793
                        Newer Amati's:

Name:	IMG_4710.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	5155794
                        Trowa's:

Name:	IMG_4709.jpg
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	5155795
                        Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Tacton:

Name:	IMG_4711.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	5155796
                          And Tacton with a weird add-on for bass drums:

Name:	IMG_4713.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	5155797

About the so-called snare strainer, you'll be in for a shock:

Name:	IMG_4718.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5155798

Name:	IMG_4719.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	5155799
                          It's made with actual strings
                          Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Here's a few pics of other hardware of that era i have with me:
                            A Sonor knockoff snare stand with quick release:

Name:	IMG_4715.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	5155800
                            A grotesque insult to the snare stands of the world:

Name:	IMG_4716.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	5155801
                            And a totally awesome Trowa bass pedal from, i'm guessing 30's:

Name:	IMG_4723.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	5155802

Name:	IMG_4726.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	5155803

That's about it for now, sorry for the long rant
                            Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

at least from the pictures, those edges don't look much worse than the average vintage 3-ply ludwig.....a light sanding, wood filler and a wipe down with a 'feed and wax' type product, and they might sound better than you think....

Comment

Working...
                              X