The Interesting Anatomy of a Pearl P910 Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Interesting Anatomy of a Pearl P910 Pedal

I found a 1980 P910 pedal at Revival Drum Shop today. These are cool pedals, one that I'd always wanted to strip down and check out. It's Pearl's only attempt at a compression spring pedal and it has quite an interesting design. Because the tower that houses the compression spring is held in place only by a tuning key screw, you can change the footboard and beater angle by moving the tower forward or backward. Sadly, it uses odd-sized bearings unlike most modern pedals that used a standard 8mm skate bearing. The pedal itself cleaned up aside from one slightly wobbly bearing, and it actually plays pretty nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0500.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	5278584

Name:	DSC_0499.JPG
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	5278583

Name:	DSC_0494.JPG
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	5278585
    www.revivaldrumshop.com

pretty funky looking- has a vintage board and the spring looks like the deal that axis has going on. if its a wood beater I'd mod it and get a felt head on there, wood heads murder drum heads.
    Ludwig WMP Concert Toms: 6/8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18/20/24, 15" custom snare. Zildjian.

Comment

Originally posted by Healthie View Post
      pretty funky looking- has a vintage board and the spring looks like the deal that axis has going on. if its a wood beater I'd mod it and get a felt head on there, wood heads murder drum heads.
      Yeah, it's a wood beater. Defiantly not a fan of those as I can't afford new $45 heads every few months. I'm going to experiment drilling a rubber bouncy ball and using the mallet for cowbells.
      www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

Interesting design ... cool score.

Comment

Excellent!
          You should be able to get a new bearing if you wanted too...
          (There seems to be at least one bearing supply store in a town of any reasonable size here in Oz, I assume it's the same in the good ol USA)
          To take that wobble out
          My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
          My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
          My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
          Catalogue Corner Thread
          Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
          My Snare build

Comment

What a strange beast that is. The beater looks cool at least!
            Gas Sucks
            YouTube Channel!
            Pearl BRX Vintage Sunburst and Tama Crestar Heather Metallic
            Pearl BLX White 13, 16, 18, 24!

Comment

If you need odd sized bearings you can head into a local hobby shop that sells parts for r/c cars. They should have all kinds of bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by nick9 View Post
                If you need odd sized bearings you can head into a local hobby shop that sells parts for r/c cars. They should have all kinds of bearings.
                The odd size is actually not in their inner or outer diameter, but in their thin width. I went to a machine shop and they have everything from tiny 10mm bearings to ones a foot in diameter. But none that are 9mm thin.
                www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

Very interesting.
                  Steve
                  1976,Chrome Ludwigs w/gloss black inside shells,26x14(x2),13x9,14x10,16x16ft,18x16ft,6''ct, 8"ct,14x6.5 BB SS Snare,Pearl Icon Racks, 2000 series HW and D-2000BR Throne. Zildjians A's, 1960"s Vintage. Tama LE Bubinga/Ebony Exotic Snare, Pearl 14x6.5 MCX Snare,14x6.5 Pearl Free Floater.

Comment

The first real pedal I ever bought was a pretty good knockoff of this pedal. Mine didn't have the spring in an enclosure.

Being a knockoff, it of course sucked. lol.
                    -~=Joey=~-
                    ---------------
                    '99 MRX Naturals, Sabian cymbals, Starclassic Birch Snare

Comment

Originally posted by barjack View Post
                      The odd size is actually not in their inner or outer diameter, but in their thin width. I went to a machine shop and they have everything from tiny 10mm bearings to ones a foot in diameter. But none that are 9mm thin.
                      Bummer!
                      And I'm guessing there isn't room or metal to change that?
                      Catalogue Corner Thread
                      My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by barjack View Post
                        I found a 1980 P910 pedal at Revival Drum Shop today. These are cool pedals, one that I'd always wanted to strip down and check out. It's Pearl's only attempt at a compression spring pedal and it has quite an interesting design. Because the tower that houses the compression spring is held in place only by a tuning key screw, you can change the footboard and beater angle by moving the tower forward or backward. Sadly, it uses odd-sized bearings unlike most modern pedals that used a standard 8mm skate bearing. The pedal itself cleaned up aside from one slightly wobbly bearing, and it actually plays pretty nice.

[ATTACH]409867[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]409866[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]409868[/ATTACH]
                        I know this thread is years old, but I was wondering if there was any chance you still have this pedal? I've been looking all over for one with no luck. If you do still have it I would definitely be interested in buying it, or maybe trading for it. Anyway thanks in advance!

Comment

Austin, the OP hasn't been in the forum for a long time, he hasn't posted anything since 4/2012.
                          Bit of a shame really, he was very helpful to many people.

There are 2 x 810's on e-bay ATM, one in the UK, one in the USA...
                          Last edited by 3pearlkits; 08-14-2018, 02:06 PM.
                          Catalogue Corner Thread
                          My Snare build

Comment

Working...
                          X