Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check out this deal on blue acrylic drums!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out this deal on blue acrylic drums!

That seems like a really good price, but I've never heard of that brand before. Did Pearl use their Transparents shells on stencil brands?

USED WELLINGTON 4PC ACRYLIC DRUMSET
    Guitar Center Salt Lake City 84123
    801-969-9887
    $199.99

Click image for larger version

Name:	106430540_lg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	5277298
    www.revivaldrumshop.com

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...051-Wellington
    I found this old thread about some guy with a set of "Pearl Wellington" drums but he never posted pics... I've never heard of them!
    Here we go:
    http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=16647
    Post #3 is pretty informative! Never seen Pearl's acrylics on a stencil kit... Should be the seamless shells then!

Comment

Heck, they might be Tama/Hoshino stencil drums. The lugs looks more Tama then Pearl, and those L-arm mounts look original.
      www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

USED WELLINGTON 4PC ACRYLIC DRUMSET

i never heard that name before 'Ever ...i guess theres lots of drums name that we never heard before .Nice kit

Nice color of blue .....i like it

Comment

Hey Barjack,
          Do you know any more about that kit?
          It looks toooooo fresh, if you know what I mean
          Unless they were stored in museum type conditions...

So many/most of the original Pearl acrylics have shell hazing throughout the acrylic, and that pic looks crystal clear.

Don't worry about erwinners PDF link lol, that's mostly me musing and trying to be helpful!
          But the vintage forum link gives some good info...

**** shame they are concert toms too...
          My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
          My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
          My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
          Catalogue Corner Thread
          Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
          My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
            Hey Barjack,
            Do you know any more about that kit?
            It looks toooooo fresh, if you know what I mean
            Unless they were stored in museum type conditions...

So many/most of the original Pearl acrylics have shell hazing throughout the acrylic, and that pic looks crystal clear.

Don't worry about erwinners PDF link lol, that's mostly me musing and trying to be helpful!
            But the vintage forum link gives some good info...

**** shame they are concert toms too...
            I dunno, I've seen an original Tama Crystar that looks like it was just made a week ago. Salt Lake City is one mammoth suburb, complete with cooled and dry, humidity-controlled homes galore. I would not be surprised to find random vintage artifacts like this in showroom condition, stuff that was stored in a climate controlled attic or something.

Anyway, even if the kit is newer, that's a ridiculous price for acrylic shells!
            www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by barjack View Post
              I dunno, I've seen an original Tama Crystar that looks like it was just made a week ago. Salt Lake City is one mammoth suburb, complete with cooled and dry, humidity-controlled homes galore. I would not be surprised to find random vintage artifacts like this in showroom condition, stuff that was stored in a climate controlled attic or something.

Anyway, even if the kit is newer, that's a ridiculous price for acrylic shells!
              You're right, that's a great price for acrylic shells!
              And if you've seen other kits from the area looking as good, well, I'm probably wrong, nothing new there lol.
              So is this your next acquisition?
              Catalogue Corner Thread
              My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                You're right, that's a great price for acrylic shells!
                And if you've seen other kits from the area looking as good, well, I'm probably wrong, nothing new there lol.
                So is this your next acquisition?
                No, I need to focus on the drums I have right now . I still have a Ludwig kit awaiting hoops, a new rack tom, and wrap.
                www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

Concert toms are a no sale factor for me when buying vintage gear.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                    Concert toms are a no sale factor for me when buying vintage gear.
                    They used to be for me as well, but I've since met an awesome home drum builder who can put a clean bearing edge on just about any shell. To me, toms without resonant heads are some of the least pleasurable percussive tones out there. You know, unless they're timbales.

If I owned the kit above, I'd have a rounded edge put on the 12" tom, then I'd pull the lugs from the 13" and mount them to the reso side of the 12". I have a fine tooth bit specifically designed for putting holes in plexiglass, so I figure cutting lug holes in acrylic shouldn't be too bad if done very carefully. I have a section of shell mounted to a block of wood that I use to press the interior of the shell when I drill lug holes, I figure using a similar technique on these would keep the plastic solid enough to stop cracking. Perhaps get the drill bit really warm as well.
                    www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

They used to be for me as well, but I've since met an awesome home drum builder who can put a clean bearing edge on just about any shell. To me, toms without resonant heads are some of the least pleasurable percussive tones out there. You know, unless they're timbales.

If I owned the kit above, I'd have a rounded edge put on the 12" tom, then I'd pull the lugs from the 13" and mount them to the reso side of the 12". I have a fine tooth bit specifically designed for putting holes in plexiglass, so I figure cutting lug holes in acrylic shouldn't be too bad if done very carefully. I have a section of shell mounted to a block of wood that I use to press the interior of the shell when I drill lug holes, I figure using a similar technique on these would keep the plastic solid enough to stop cracking. Perhaps get the drill bit really warm as well.
                      yeah I hear ya ... If I really want something that happens to be in concert tom form then I'll buy it and do drilling and edges but otherwise I pass on most things.

Comment

These days, I'd jump at a chance to buy an ET set with all concert toms. That way I could have nearly virgin shells to work with. Concert toms that still use the slide-on tab bracket would be ideal as you wouldn't even need to cover the 4 tiny holes when installing an Optimount. With concert toms, I'd be able to easily cut down each drum to the short depths I need. An ET kit with 7x10, 7.5x12, 8x13, and 12x14/13x16 would be the bomb.
                        www.revivaldrumshop.com

Comment

These days, I'd jump at a chance to buy an ET set with all concert toms. That way I could have nearly virgin shells to work with. Concert toms that still use the slide-on tab bracket would be ideal as you wouldn't even need to cover the 4 tiny holes when installing an Optimount. With concert toms, I'd be able to easily cut down each drum to the short depths I need. An ET kit with 7x10, 7.5x12, 8x13, and 12x14/13x16 would be the bomb.
                          Word ..

Comment

Hey Barjack,
                            When you drill acrylic you also need to tape the spot where you are drilling, stops it chipping out...
                            Catalogue Corner Thread
                            My Snare build

Comment

Working...
                            X