No announcement yet.

Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe i just missed it in this post,but has anybody used the spray on stripper to take lacqure of there drums?if so was it verry hard to do?

Comment

hey pdbang,
      Sorry, I didn't go into all the possible methods of doing everything.
      I have generalised, by saying "use paint stripper/stripper" rather than "you can use chemical stripper that can be brushed on or sprayed on, or if, you prefer the environmentally safer option, use citristrip"
      Hope you understand and get the info you want...
      My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
      My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
      My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
      Catalogue Corner Thread
      My Snare build

Comment

So bump on the out of round bass drum, and another question is how to clean a dirty and kind of rusty sonor snare from the 70's... I don't want to use steel wool and scratch it so what would u guys recommend
        anyone want a mapex pro m ice blue finish
        24x18
        18x16
        16x16
        14x14
        13x9

$$550
        pm if u want

Comment

Originally posted by metaldrummer438 View Post
          So bump on the out of round bass drum, and another question is how to clean a dirty and kind of rusty sonor snare from the 70's... I don't want to use steel wool and scratch it so what would u guys recommend
          metaldrummer,
          You didn't tell us what the snare shell material is!
          Anyway, if it's chrome then the majority of advice about cleaning chrome is on page 1 of this thread. If it's wrapped then cleaning wrap is on page 1 as well. And if it's lacquered then you can pretty much use the cleaning wrap ideas.
          The bass drum pic isn't loading for me right now, so I can't comment
          Catalogue Corner Thread
          My Snare build

Comment

MetalDrummer,

Did someone say the bass is out of round, or did you measure?

Looking at, I think the tension rods are just screwed in more on one side than they are the other.

That is Duco paint on those shells from my understanding of drums of that era. I would lightly clean it a few times with a soapy wash cloth that has had the water wrung out of it and see what that does for you before putting any type of chrmical on it.
            60's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16; Club Date - OBP 20-12-14, 14; OBP - 20,12,14
            Gretsch USA Walnut 18x16 bass x 2, 22-12-13-14-16; Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22; RN2 - 24, 13, 16
            Gretsch 60's RB kit in Red Glass Glitter – 20-12-14-14
            FOR SALE: Pearl WMP Fiberglass 14-16-16 toms

Comment

Originally posted by ConvertedLudwigPLayer View Post
              MetalDrummer,

Did someone say the bass is out of round, or did you measure?

Looking at, I think the tension rods are just screwed in more on one side than they are the other.

That is Duco paint on those shells from my understanding of drums of that era. I would lightly clean it a few times with a soapy wash cloth that has had the water wrung out of it and see what that does for you before putting any type of chrmical on it.
              the bass is out of round on the side the pics didnt really show, but do you know how much this set would be worth? i cant find any on ebay or anywhere
              anyone want a mapex pro m ice blue finish
              24x18
              18x16
              16x16
              14x14
              13x9

$$550
              pm if u want

Comment

Wrap/painting is too expensive?

You want your kit up and running to get it back on the road but think wrap or painting costs too much?

Barjack has an excellent alternative and depending on your choice, can be in keeping with vintage appearance...

See his thread
                http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=242031
                Catalogue Corner Thread
                My Snare build

Comment

how to laquer again brass snare... thing is i striped the laquer from shell and clean the shell... now i want to laquer it again... is it possible to do that with a clear laquer for cars (in sprey?), it is one of my thoughts lately...

Comment

Originally posted by Matematika View Post
                    how to laquer again brass snare... thing is i striped the laquer from shell and clean the shell... now i want to laquer it again... is it possible to do that with a clear laquer for cars (in sprey?), it is one of my thoughts lately...
                    Hi Matematika
                    The lacquer for cars is very heavy duty, it has to put up with the elements! I guess you could use it, but I'm sure you could find spray cans of lacquer specifically made for brass/copper that would finish off your clean up job properly.
                    Hope this helps
                    Catalogue Corner Thread
                    My Snare build

Comment

do you know some good laquer for brass copper?

Comment

Originally posted by Matematika View Post
                        do you know some good laquer for brass copper?
                        Hi,
                        Go to your nearest big hardware store. Ask them if they have lacquer in spray cans for brass/copper, or if they can order it in for you.
                        Where I am, you can get brass/copper lacquer in spray cans. The manufacturer label is branded White Knight, but will probable not be that label where you are, because it is an Australian company.
                        I'm sure you will find what you are looking for if you have a good look around...
                        Catalogue Corner Thread
                        My Snare build

Comment

Yo! So I started to refinish my kit of MLXs from 83-84 (I think) and have been getting a lot of different opinions on how to removethe black lacquer. I sanded the bass drum (very carefully) down to the grain, but am hesitant to sand the smaller diameter drums for fear of unevenness. I've also been told not to use strippers because the plys are so thin I'm afraid of separating them and destroying the drums. What type and brand of stripper do YOU use with good results? Then comes the rest of the process of sanding, staining, polyurethane...

Three of the drums are black lacquered, the floor Tom is a blonde finish which I also want to redo. The more tips the better, my drums have been ugly for too long!
                          My band:
                          Phenomenal Sun (Facebook)
                          Phenomenal Sun (Bandcamp)

Drum builds:
                          1983 MLX build
                          G Series S-017 strainer restoration

Comment

Ok, good question!
                            Like most things there are 2 schools of thought on all this. Strip. Don't Strip.
                            Honestly, I stripped my 72 luan shelled kit without a single scrap of seperation on any ply, and i reallly lathered it on. At the time I was also restoring antique furniture and using the stripper on that too.
                            Does that mean it will be the same for your kit? I can't guarantee it, but I believe there is a lot of hype about strippers that just doesn't wash.
                            I can't tell you the brand name, because it is irrelevant. It's made in Australia, not for export!

What I can tell you if you're going to go the strip way, is this: Go to an antique furniture restorer. Have a reasonable discussion with them, tell them what you're doing, and then ask them if they would recommend a stripper. Honestly, some antique items contain plied timbers as well.

What you are looking for is the result. When you sanded the BD down, did you have black lines running in the grain still (however feint)?, or did you have to sand rather aggresively to remove those black lines in the grain? I believe that sanding to the point of removing those feint lines actualy takes more of the ply away than stripping does. Thats my own opinion. I have done drums both ways, and stripping takes away totally the stress if it all taking so long. It doesn't ever mean you're not being careful with your work if you do it right...

Hope this helps
                            Catalogue Corner Thread
                            My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                              Some are held on by small screws, so no prob there.

Many are stuck on. Either on the wrap or on the lacquer.
                              Get out your heat gun again. Put away that chisel!
                              Get a piece of heavier fishing line or very fine wire and with the badge hot enough to make the glue gooey (but not so hot your ink bubbles up and disappears) use a sawing motion under the badge.
                              (My thanks to Pearlygates for this little gem)

Once off clean up your adhesive residues as described earlier in the thread, but keep in mind that ink on the outside might come off too. Probably best not to use paint stripper on this one.

When you project is done, the final touch is to reapply your badges with adhesive, double sided tape, whatever
                              I have also used a high "E" electric guitar string for this.. Too much heat on a stubborn glued on badge can cause alot of nylon fishing line to break and subsequently melt. The steel string seems to be best for this method.
                              MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
                              CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X