Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaleC View Post
    Do you mean rubber gaskets, not lugs?

If so I agree. I recently did this to my Supraphonic 402. It helped to get rid of some of the lug splay, (even though I never had any functional problems with it) and it looks better to me now.
    DaleC,
    Thank you. I edited my post.
    My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
    My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
    My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
    Catalogue Corner Thread
    Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
    My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
      Applying beeswax or oil to bearing edges tends to assist heads to glide rather
      than drag, making tuning easier. It also gives that bearing edge a "drink".
      A super long time ago, I heard that using a bar of soap to rub onto the bearing
      edge would be a safe way to create better head-to-shell contact. What do you
      think?
      OLD: 1985 Premeir APK Royale, Black. Tri-Star stands.
      11x12, 12x13, 16x16, 18x22, 6.5x14 chrome.

NEW: 2007 Pearl Vision VLX, Ruby Fade. DR-503C, H-2000, S-2000, and 5xCH-2000S, 1xCH2000, DW 5000 dbl, DW 9100AL throne, round.
      8x10, 9x12, 11x14TT, 16x16FT, 18x24, Chad Smith.

sigpic

Comment

Well I use soap on sticky drawer runners and that works well, but I dunno about using it on drums...
        Catalogue Corner Thread
        My Snare build

Comment

is there a way to fix an un round shell?
          anyone want a mapex pro m ice blue finish
          24x18
          18x16
          16x16
          14x14
          13x9

$$550
          pm if u want

Comment

Originally posted by metaldrummer438 View Post
            is there a way to fix an un round shell?
            This sounds like a cop out, but, it depends.
            You haven't quite given enough information.
            When you say un round, is it say, flat on on side, or just measures differently and is more like oval?
            Is it totaly obvious or just measures just slightly differently?
            Did you measure it with the heads on as well as the heads off?
            (sometimes a slightly out of round shell will be round with the heads and rims on because of the tension and support provided by the heads and rims)
            What material is the shell made of?
            Is it nearly impossible to tune?

These sorts of things are what we need to know before we can offer advice...
            Catalogue Corner Thread
            My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
              This sounds like a cop out, but, it depends.
              You haven't quite given enough information.
              When you say un round, is it say, flat on on side, or just measures differently and is more like oval?
              Is it totaly obvious or just measures just slightly differently?
              Did you measure it with the heads on as well as the heads off?
              (sometimes a slightly out of round shell will be round with the heads and rims on because of the tension and support provided by the heads and rims)
              What material is the shell made of?
              Is it nearly impossible to tune?

These sorts of things are what we need to know before we can offer advice...
              its warped due to its age and never having a resonant head, and its 1940's ludwig and ludwig set. the tom tom that comes with it has a tacked on calfskin head as a reso, and i think they are from the thirties. ANd i havent recieved them, and dont know if i should buy them
              24x18
              18x16
              16x16
              14x14
              13x9

$$550
              pm if u want

Comment

this may help

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/arch....php/t-10.html
                24x18
                18x16
                16x16
                14x14
                13x9

$$550
                pm if u want

Comment

While putting on new reso heads (about a year and a half ago) on my toms
                  and swapping regular rims to die-cast rims, I fetched my measuring tape, out
                  of curiosity, to measure the roundness of my relatively new tubs. (I spent
                  years deciding whether to buy a new drumset because my 13" Premier tom
                  became too out-of-round - making it markedly more difficult to tune as well
                  as the 12" or 16").

I was utterly amazed to not only discover that every single one of my Pearl toms
                  are out-of-round by about 1/8" to 1/4" (or appx. 3-6mm), but also to learn from
                  Al Percival, on PDF, that that is fairly normal!!! I was very disappointed.

To this, I admit these findings somewhat contradict my philosophy that “High
                  end drums merely provide psychological comfort.”

So, might there be hope, (despite what I have been previously told about
                  fixing out-of-round shells), that my Premier 13" tom might still be made true
                  again?

NEW: 2007 Pearl Vision VLX, Ruby Fade. DR-503C, H-2000, S-2000, and 5xCH-2000S, 1xCH2000, DW 5000 dbl, DW 9100AL throne, round.

sigpic

Comment

I will generalise...

Out of round toms may be made relatively round again, close enough to be satisfactory. The success rate may at best be 50%, the older the drum and the longer it has been out of round lowers the success dramatically I would think.

Access to a steam cabinet and a mold to hold the tom out to shape while it dries again will be required, and may lead to ply seperation in the "fixing" process that is unrecoverable!
                    Worst case, more stuffed, best case, better.

Guys, between the 2 of you there isn't enough solid information to offer anything other than generalised advice at this stage.

Also knowing what made the tom out of round is a great help, eg it sat in a basement in a flood and got wet for 3 weeks.
                    If you know how it got out of round you may be able to reverse the process.

You can also achieve a lot with water, if you're brave enough to go there!

metaldrummer: I can't/won't offer advice for drums not purchased, that's your decision to make.

rob: is it reringed? How out of round is it?
                    Catalogue Corner Thread
                    My Snare build

Comment

I honestly have no clue how my tom became out of round. I am fairly certain it
                      was gradual. It's enough to create an axis or a pivot at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock
                      on the shell when putting on a head. That means it has a wobble.

I am not clear by your question if it was "reringed"? Did you mean de-ringed?
                      That it is delaminating? No, I don't believe so, no. Without actually measuring
                      the difference in width between 9 and 3 from 12 and 6 o'clock positions, I
                      would have to guess it;s roughly 1/4" to 1/2" out of round. It's enough that a
                      new head has to be kinda squeezed on, scraping a bit, but not too much, at 12
                      and 6 o'clock. Does that make sense? Have you ever tried the methods you've
                      suggested, 3pearlkits?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rob The Heart-Throb View Post
                        I honestly have no clue how my tom became out of round. I am fairly certain it
                        was gradual. It's enough to create an axis or a pivot at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock
                        on the shell when putting on a head. That means it has a wobble.

I am not clear by your question if it was "reringed"? Did you mean de-ringed?
                        That it is delaminating? No, I don't believe so, no. Without actually measuring
                        the difference in width between 9 and 3 from 12 and 6 o'clock positions, I
                        would have to guess it;s roughly 1/4" to 1/2" out of round. It's enough that a
                        new head has to be kinda squeezed on, scraping a bit, but not too much, at 12 and 6 o'clock. Does that make sense? Have you ever tried the methods you've suggested, 3pearlkits?
                        Rob: by reringed I meant does the drum have a thin shell (say 3 ply) with reinforcement rings or is it a thicker ply shell. I'm not talking about delamination at all. I was saying earlier that steaming the shell may lead to delamination (because the glue between the plies lets go with the steam/water).

While your drum may be out of round, and difficult to put heads on, it sounds like you have an added problem. If your head is pivoting then not only is the shell out of round, but must also be relatively shaped like this now: ^
                        Hope that makes sense.
                        To check: place on a large flat surface and see if two points are higher than the rest of the bearing edge. Check both sides.
                        If this is the case I would treat the out of round first and then get someone to true the shell and recut bearing edges and it would be usable again.

I have been working with timber for years and used steam and water to straighten warped timber. It can be a long slow process. And through what I have learnt from that experience, I have used to successfully fix one out of round drum, (that did not have re rings). So, yes.
                        Catalogue Corner Thread
                        My Snare build

Comment

There are no reinforcing rings.
                          And although I haven't actually tested the dimension you refer to, I am
                          confident the warpage is one-dimensional (i.e. up & down, left and right,
                          forward and backward).
                          Still think there's hope?

sigpic

Comment

Well, err what have you got to lose?
                            Is the drum wrapped?
                            If yes, is the colour irreplaceable?
                            Catalogue Corner Thread
                            My Snare build

Comment

its a 1940 ludwig and ludwig and is out of round for having a ripped calfskin head on for 50 years
                              24x18
                              18x16
                              16x16
                              14x14
                              13x9

$$550
                              pm if u want

Comment

pics... im getting this kit tomorow as u can see the bass is a little out of round
                                Attached Files
                                24x18
                                18x16
                                16x16
                                14x14
                                13x9

$$550
                                pm if u want

Comment

Working...
                                X