Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P_Harri View Post
    I'm new to this forum and hoping someone will be able to help me. I recently bought a 1975 Tama Royalstar kit to add to my collection. This kit sounds great but the throw off/strainer for the snare has broken and needs replacing. I've looked all over the net to find this part to no avail and was directed to this forum. Does anyone know where to find a replacement snare throw off or knows of any other make or model that would fit.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
    Hi and welcome to the PDF!
    It always helps when we know where you're from...

There are a couple of very handy Tama owners in this vintage section that might point you the right way (I hope)
    My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
    My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
    My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
    Catalogue Corner Thread
    My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by Rob The Heart-Throb View Post

Plus, one of my cymbal stands has apparently become slightly elliptical from
      over-tightening, making it difficult (almost impossible) to fully collapse it,
      even with a heavy spray of WD-40 lubricant.

How could I re-round/true this tubing, I wonder?
      get the appropriate sized ball bearing or steel ball to match the inside diameter (ID) of the tube. Lube it up real good and drive it through the tube with a rod.

You may be able to find a ball at a "real" hardware store for cheap. Look for steel ball, ball bearing or gauge ball.

Comment

Quick question here: I've read on several ocassions that some people like to rub either linseed oil or beeswax into the inside of their drum shells and bearing edges. Is this really necessary? What would it it actually do?

EDIT: I may have misread the intentions of this thread....should I ask my questions somewhere else or are they ok here?
        Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga - Sabian Cymbals - Ludwig Black Beauty BoB 14"x5" - Ludwig Black Beauty 14"x6.5" - Ludwig Supraphonic 402 - 1971 Ludwig Acrolite - Tama Starclassic Brass 14"x5.5" - Tama Starclassic G Maple 13"x6" - Mapex Black Panther Brass 13"x5.5" - Remo - Vic Firth

Comment

Originally posted by DaleC View Post
          Quick question here: I've read on several ocassions that some people like to rub either linseed oil or beeswax into the inside of their drum shells and bearing edges. Is this really necessary? What would it it actually do?

EDIT: I may have misread the intentions of this thread....should I ask my questions somewhere else or are they ok here?
          Hi DaleC,
          Your question can carry on further to be applied to drum restoring/refinishing so no prob!

I believe the idea of applying oil (commonly linseed oil or tung oil or lemon oil) to the inside of shells serves 2 purposes.
          It gives the wood a "drink". Any timber that eventually dries right out is possibly prone to cracking/splitting. Putting on oil stops the timber from drying out.
          Many drums have a seal coat internally. Usually that seal coat is polyurethane.
          Oil is another way of sealing the timber, though not to the extent a lacquer would.
          Be aware that seal coats may alter the the tones generated by a drum (as will very fine sanding), after applying oil (or lacquer) you may find the drum has more pronounced "highs" and perhaps generate more overtones, so if you don't want that, don't seal the inside.

We all know the critical difference bearing edges make to tuning.
          Relatively small movements of the head moving over a bearing edge can dramatically change tuning.
          If your bearing edge is old or a broad grained timber or relatively rough, the head may drag rather than glide over the bearing edge, making tuning a more tedious process than it has to be.
          Applying beeswax or oil to bearing edges tends to assist heads to glide rather than drag, making tuning easier. It also gives that bearing edge a "drink".
          Catalogue Corner Thread
          My Snare build

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future.
            Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga - Sabian Cymbals - Ludwig Black Beauty BoB 14"x5" - Ludwig Black Beauty 14"x6.5" - Ludwig Supraphonic 402 - 1971 Ludwig Acrolite - Tama Starclassic Brass 14"x5.5" - Tama Starclassic G Maple 13"x6" - Mapex Black Panther Brass 13"x5.5" - Remo - Vic Firth

Comment

Originally posted by duhhh View Post
              get the appropriate sized ball bearing or steel
              ball to match the inside diameter (ID) of the tube. Lube it up real good and
              drive it through the tube with a rod.

You may be able to find a ball at a "real" hardware store for cheap. Look for
              steel ball, ball bearing or gauge ball.
              Holy cow, duhhh! That is a GREAT idea! And it seems like I would not have
              too much difficulty finding these items as you suggested, which is very
              inspiring! -- However, I just checked the bottom of my cymbal stands and
              noticed a rivet that I believe serves 2 purposes - 1. to act as a stopper for
              the inner metal tube (not 100% certain the inner/upper metal tube actually
              reaches that far down) and 2. it holds a... I don't know what to call it, -a
              "brace" (?) that holds the rivets of the 3... "arms" that attach to the legs via
              another set of rivets. I think you know what I mean. ---- I just realized just
              now that this is not truly a problem because (hahaha) I could just drive the
              ball back the other way to the top.

--Sorry about that. I jumped the gun. Looks like it will be a real solution!!
              Again, thank you very, very much duhhh - that is a really great idea! I can't
              thank you enough! Thank God for PDF! Woo Hooo!! haha

Now - I have some news:
              That idea I mentioned earlier about how to replace my hardware for my 1985
              Premier APK Royale drumset and creating a secondary means to playing a
              more portable and smaller version of my Pearl VLX's? That thing about
              swapping out the top half of a Pearl Double Tom stand (T-2000) for a Tama
              Double Tom Holder (MTH600) which is basically the top half of a Tama Stage
              Master Double Tom Stand??

Well, I was at Guitar Center today, and guess what??? They actually had a
              T-2000 Pearl Double Tom Stand and a HTW39W Tama Stage Master Double
              Tom Stand on the floor! So I checked to see if they are compatible by
              literally taking off both tops and inserting the Tama top into the bottom half
              of the Pearl, and.... drum roll please, haha.... IT WORKS! THEY FIT! So it
              looks like I definitely have a lot to consider about what direction I will go
              with my idea/dilemma to refurbish my Premiers completely or simply replace
              with new hardware.

Again, though, I still have no idea about how to remove all those rivets of
              my TriStar Premier stands (9 per stand) and devise a way to replace them...
              So buying new hardware seems tempting right now despite your awesome
              solution, duhhh.

More food for thought: I found The Pearl T-2000 for sale on drumza.com for
              $179.40 and the MTH900, as quoted to me over the phone by Guitar Center
              in L.A. (yes I called L.A. from Cincinnati because now it's 10:25pm and the
              local stores are now closed), for $99.99.
              OLD: 1985 Premeir APK Royale, Black. Tri-Star stands.
              11x12, 12x13, 16x16, 18x22, 6.5x14 chrome.

NEW: 2007 Pearl Vision VLX, Ruby Fade. DR-503C, H-2000, S-2000, and 5xCH-2000S, 1xCH2000, DW 5000 dbl, DW 9100AL throne, round.
              8x10, 9x12, 11x14TT, 16x16FT, 18x24, Chad Smith.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rob The Heart-Throb View Post
                Again, thank you very, very much duhhh
                No problem.

Take care of those APK's. Nice drums, often overlooked and underrated.

Comment

Vintage Slingerlands from the 60s and 70s...

Slingerland Drums in Red Sparkle -- My first Drum Kit... Still have it... Still sounds awesome... : )
                  Attached Files

Comment

^ err yeah and what does that have to do with restoring/refinishing drums?

By the way, welcome to the PDF and the vintage section...

I'd love to see your kit in it's own thread...
                    Catalogue Corner Thread
                    My Snare build

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to take apart and polish up my Whitehall snare this afternoon. When I find the right vinyl graphic film, I'll be rewrapping my set to match!

Last edited by Shatter; 02-28-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Shatter,
                        Do you know what your snare is worth as it is? (I don't know personaly, but have you done your research?)

This was a point in hand earlier in the thread, you have an old snare, looks complete and in good order (well almost immaculate in fact) other than being a tad dirty, but you're going to destroy it's value (if it has any) by making it no longer original just so it matches your set!
                        Yes I know it's your drum and you can do whatever you want with it, but it comes back to preserving history...

Just a thought
                        Catalogue Corner Thread
                        My Snare build

Comment

Hey shatter,
                          Just saw your thread in the Forum section. Don't mind me, I feel like a fool about now!
                          I see you're going to rewrap your forums to match the snare and not the other way around.
                          The wrap on your snare is more like blue glitter than blue sparkle if that helps.
                          And Jammin Sams has something very like it...
                          Catalogue Corner Thread
                          My Snare build

Comment

Some things I forgot...

Those vintage drums usually have springs in the lug casings to hold in the inserts (unlike todays more modern plastic tabs to do the same thing). Sometimes these springs squeak and/or rattle, sometimes even buzz.

While you've got all the hardware off, take out the springs and wrap them in felt, or put cotton wool between the spring and the lug casing. This stops all those spring noises.
                            Consider putting hand cut rubber gaskets (some suggest old wrap too) under the lugs. This is quite important if you have taken wrap off your shells, as it jacks the lugs back out a bit and lets your tension rods run more parallel to the shell.

For floor toms, think about air suspension feet from Pearl (or other companies similar products), they really do open up floor toms, particularly in comparison to those small thin rubber feet found on most vintage kits.
                            Last edited by 3pearlkits; 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM.
                            Catalogue Corner Thread
                            My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                              Hey shatter,
                              Just saw your thread in the Forum section. Don't mind me, I feel like a fool about now!
                              I see you're going to rewrap your forums to match the snare and not the other way around.
                              The wrap on your snare is more like blue glitter than blue sparkle if that helps.
                              And Jammin Sams has something very like it...
                              No worries, glitter it is!

I'm poor, so I'm looking for something more like thick wrapping paper...

Kidding of course, it'll be a nice vinyl film for now. Then in the future, the wraps come off and I'm going to get these aniline dyed or stained. I do a lot of woodworking, this is just a temp solution that won't break the bank.

I saw the spray paint + walmart glitter wrap. It's a possibility too.

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                                Those vintage drums usually have springs in the lug casings to hold in the inserts (unlike todays more modern plastic tabs to do the same thing). Sometimes these springs squeak and/or rattle, sometimes even buzz.

While you've got all the hardware off, take out the springs and wrap them in felt, or put cotton wool between the spring and the lug casing. This stops all those spring noises.
                                Consider putting hand cut rubber lugs (some suggest old wrap too) under the lugs. This is quite important if you have taken wrap off your shells, as it jacks the lugs back out a bit and lets your tension rods run more parallel to the shell.

For floor toms, think about air suspension feet from Pearl (or other companies similar products), they really do open up floor toms, particularly in comparison to those small thin rubber feet found on most vintage kits.
                                Do you mean rubber gaskets, not lugs?

If so I agree. I recently did this to my Supraphonic 402. It helped to get rid of some of the lug splay, (even though I never had any functional problems with it) and it looks better to me now.
                                Last edited by DaleC; 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X