My revamped 1984 DX...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely kit 3pearl!

I am really taking an interest in these older Pearl kits! Nice!
    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
    CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

This kit is absolutely fantastic!! Great job, bro, rep!
      https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...of-Collector-s

Comment

Nice job! That kit looks great. I bet it sounds wonderful. Kudos

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacLee View Post
          Nice job! That kit looks great. I bet it sounds wonderful. Kudos
          Thanks IsaacLee, Indi and pearlygates.
          I finally added my 14" tom to the rack gig before last.
          No pics yet though....
          My revamped Pearl DX kit (now with 8" tom)
          My refurbished 72 NC Deluxe Pearl Kit
          My early 80's G314LXDC Pearl Snare
          Catalogue Corner Thread
          Restoring and refinishing (vintage) drums
          My Snare build

Comment

I'll bet that kit sounds fantastic. A few years back when I was a trumpet player in a National Guard band, the band had an old set of black Pearl maple drums - based on the look of your badge it wouldn't surprise me if they were DXs - all I know is that they were an older, discontinued model, and that in spite of the fact that they were through-shell mounted, they still sounded great. There was a big 18" floor tom on that kit, and the bass drum was something like 22x14 - it wasn't nearly as deep as today's kit "standard" 22x18 - but between that massive floor tom and the kick, I could get some interesting patterns going because their sounds were somewhat similar. It was a really nice sounding set of drums, but they didn't look the best because of how they had been used and abused over the years.

Anyway, I think that it's great that you took the time to give some new life to that set of drums because you don't need a new kit for your drums to sound good - so many people get so caught up in what's new that they forget that great sound and quality is NOT a new concept that was developed just in the last few years.
            Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

Comment

I hear ya trickg!

The DX/DLX series have birch inner and outer plies, so it was probably more like a MX/MLX series you saw/played on...
              Anyway, I guess part of what drove what I did with this kit was $.
              What I did was reasonably cheap, I think about $500AU all up for Opti's, Gaskets etc.
              Heaps cheaper than a new kit which I could not justify nor afford.
              And there is nothing wrong with how the kit sounded before, it just sounds better now
              I'm also leaning more towards older kits now, you can't buy the mellowing out of wood caused by age in a new kit!

Oh and thanks heaps for the rep...
              Last edited by 3pearlkits; 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM.
              Catalogue Corner Thread
              My Snare build

Comment

Originally posted by 3pearlkits View Post
                Anyway, I guess part of what drove what I did with this kit was $.

What I did was reasonably cheap, I think about $500AU all up for Opti's, Gaskets etc. Heaps cheaper than a new kit which I could not justify nor afford.
                And there is nothing wrong with how the kit sounded before, it just sounds better now
                I'm also leaning more towards older kits now, you can't buy the mellowing out of wood caused by age in a new kit!

That was a very reasonable cost for the add-ons you put into it. I love Opti-mounts - I think that it's a great mounting system, but I would have never thought to add gaskets or put felt around the lug springs. That reminds me of my snare project that I put together - I designed it to look like an old Slingerland Radio King and one of my lugs buzzes just a bit from time to time, and I didn't use gaskets. One day I'll take that drum apart and do a similar update - I know that Radio Kings didn't have gaskets, but 1.) It's not a real Radio King, so it doesn't matter and 2.) form follows function - SOUND is the important thing here, right?

I hadn't thought about the mellowing and aging of the wood, but that's a great point. I have wanted another kit - mainly so that I can keep my SMXs in the cases and have a practice kit at home, so I might go for something older too, just to see if I can find a diamond in the rough.
                Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

Comment

I gotta ask...how could you tell they were from '84? I recently bought some DX shells I'm restoring, and would love to know the year. I know the S/N's are irrelevant (144xxx), and the general production period of the DX's, so just curious how you could tell.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                    I gotta ask...how could you tell they were from '84? I recently bought some DX shells I'm restoring, and would love to know the year. I know the S/N's are irrelevant (144xxx), and the general production period of the DX's, so just curious how you could tell.

Thanks!
                    Hi Obiwan,
                    Welcome to the forum!
                    I am very fortunate, I happened to work in the store I bought my DX from and just happen to know they became stock in the store in '84 and I bought them very early in '85. So that's how I know
                    Catalogue Corner Thread
                    My Snare build

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the info...you truly have a sweet set of DX's there! I've played Yammi's for years, and these are my first Pearls, so I only hope mine turn out half as nice when I'm done...going with a four-piece with the 16" as the uptom, which will be fun, LOL! They should go "boom" when I'm finished. Going with coated Ambassadors over Diplomats, and Powerstroke 3's on the kick, so looking forward to some "fat" tone with them!

Comment

Thanks, it was worth the revamp.

Mine are plenty loud enough with Pinny's over ambassadors.

Ambassadors over diplomats will explode lol, oh and you better show us some pics
                        Last edited by 3pearlkits; 04-04-2013, 09:39 PM.
                        Catalogue Corner Thread
                        My Snare build

Comment

Here are some pix so far...sort of in the middle of the restoration. I Thought they were a pretty good buy for $85!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah - I'd say that was a good buy for $85. WOW!

Clean that bad boy up, add some Opti-mounts (optional of course) and that is going to be a great kit.
                            Patrick G.

Comment

Thanks, man! Plus they came with another 16x22 for parts, and a salvageable hi-hat stand! But the pics aren't really showing the wrap problems too well...lotsa bubbling and nasty scratches! But the shells are in great shape, and when I snag some extra $$, they'll definitely be worth re-wrapping!

Comment

Nice job!
                                My Starclassics.
                                http://pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=237552

Comment

Working...
                                X