vintage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage?

hi, if this is in the wrong forum could a mod tell me or possibly move it for me please? i think its right.

anyway, i've fixed up my supraphonic from the "what snare is this?" thread and repaired the throw off myself. it sounds INCREADABLE!!! and has really sparked my interest in vintage drums.

so anyway my question is this, are vintage drums really that good? i need a decent kit that is good enough to do professional recording work. i always thought that 60/70's drums were a little...i dunno maybe a little boomy and just not all that musical. the drum sound i love in Vinnie's kit on the sting album ten summoners tales. (gretsch or did he have a 9000?) anyway i now in the 50's and 60's recording techniques were no way near as good and i've not been lucky enough to play or hear a vintage kit in person. i know that with age the wood dry's and that helps. would people say for general recording of all styles of music i should go for somthing older like a 60's/70's kit or get something more 80's/90's. i think i'm gonna steer away from yamaha 9000's becuase they are pretty saught after and i think i'd be able to get a very nice very usable kit for less money.

thought this is the place to ask thanks to you vintige lovers,

James

Vintage kits are great. Vinnie's always been a Gretsch lover.

Gretsch drums are awesome. Period. Vintage round badge kits are THE number one kit to have in a recording studio.

Comment

If you want to go the vintage route, you can't go wrong with Rogers, Gretsch, Ludwig or Slingerland...hell even a Fibes kit from the 70's were great kits. They can be found on ebay for under a grand usually.
      If you go 3 ply drums from Ludwig or Slingerland, just make sure there are no issues with the bearing edges before you buy them.
      Look in music stores and or Craigslist for good deals on vintage...pawn shops are always a source as well.
      Another great bargain (not for long) is Ludwigs Standard line from the late 60's. They have awesome wraps and the shells are the same as on the classic line, just with a coated grey interior to hide shell imperfections..the hardware is a little cheaper, but they still sound so good for ther money.

Comment

American made vintage drums are great, european made are good but keep away from anything else.

As you live in the UK you should keep an eye out for premier kits, premier olympic being the cheapest but having identical shells to the more expensive models - I have a 3ply beech olympic snare that sounds great, it can be heard fairly accuratly on 'phoenix' at www.myspace.com/treefingersmk

Comment

i know a guy with an olympic kit i think i gave him an old premier kit but that was probably a cheap 80's one. the olympic of his is pretty old though. i could probably take it off him for nothing. if i can get hold of it i'll post pics and you guys can tell me if its a load of cr*p
          James

Comment

mid 60s american made rogers is great.
            Rogers Drums

My Kits
            http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=196158

Comment

Originally posted by drummer_james
              i know a guy with an olympic kit i think i gave him an old premier kit but that was probably a cheap 80's one. the olympic of his is pretty old though. i could probably take it off him for nothing. if i can get hold of it i'll post pics and you guys can tell me if its a load of cr*p
              James
              Try and get it if you can, the older the better with olympic as the newer stuff did use poor quality shells.

the main thing with olympic is because they were a budget brand not as much time was spent on the bearing edges so they can be hit or miss - try and take a picture of the edges if you can.

Comment

will do. also does anyone know where i can find catalogues or references to premier kits from the 80's and 90's to find what i had i'd hate to let it go if its good. i could give him an export he'd be happy with the olymip is in storage and thats very very old the premier also i dont think is being played so if they're worth having i know he'll swap for an export.

Comment

http://www.drumarchive.com/

Comment

thanks. i've done a thread about these kits with details from memory untill i get pictures.

Comment

Working...
                    X