rogers shell composition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogers shell composition?

Anyone know what the script badge era rogers kits were made out of. Was it all maple, mix with poplar, mohagany?

Maple. 99% sure

Comment

Maple with an inner ply of something. The wood doesnt matter , the drums sound phenominal

Comment

Originally posted by 44Ronin
        Maple with an inner ply of something. The wood doesnt matter , the drums sound phenominal
        very true.

Comment

Originally posted by joshdrummer
          Anyone know what the script badge era rogers kits were made out of. Was it all maple, mix with poplar, mohagany?
          Wood.
          Before modern marketing campaigns and lacquer finishes, manufacturers didn't really care what wood they used, and neither did drummers. They used whatever wood was commercially available, and often mixed 'em up...even on the same kit.

Comment

Rogers used a 3 ply shell through the covington paper tag era, and well into the cleveland paper tag era. The three ply shell was phased out during 1963 (?) about the time the Beavertail lug was introduced. The Five ply shell composition was Maple/Poplar/Maple/Poplar/Maple, with opposing grain layups for added strength. There are Rogers promo pics from the early Beavertail/5ply era showing several grown men standing on a Rogers shell that is laying on its side. The drums still sound phenominal.
            Rogers Drums

My Kits
            http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=196158

Comment

oh I agree with eveyone on this. I was more just curious. I agree that there is way too much marketing hype out there now about wood type.

Comment

Wood.
                Before modern marketing campaigns and lacquer finishes, manufacturers didn't really care what wood they used, and neither did drummers. They used whatever wood was commercially available, and often mixed 'em up...even on the same kit.
                That's a great point. When Rogers switched from Jasper to Keller in the mid 60's, their initial order was for a maple/birch combination.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePloughman
                  Rogers used a 3 ply shell through the covington paper tag era, and well into the cleveland paper tag era. The three ply shell was phased out during 1963 (?) about the time the Beavertail lug was introduced. The Five ply shell composition was Maple/Poplar/Maple/Poplar/Maple, with opposing grain layups for added strength. There are Rogers promo pics from the early Beavertail/5ply era showing several grown men standing on a Rogers shell that is laying on its side. The drums still sound phenominal.
                  Would a '72 have this same 5-ply composition? My friend just bought a refinished set (24x14, 14x10, 18x16) and no one we've talked to is sure what the shell makeup is.
                  "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

sigpic

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

Comment

Most likely 5 ply with 5 ply reinforcing rings. Nice drums. My 1977 Big R set is a 24, 13, 15, 18.
                    Rogers Drums

My Kits
                    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=196158

Comment

Working...
                    X