Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what snare is this?

hi people,
    i was wondering what snare drum this is? it was givewn to me by an old friend.
    i remember seing one similar that is supposed to be quite good.

so was wondering what snare it is, how much it could be worth, and is it any good? becuase if it is i'll clean it up and use it (never hurts to have another good snare)
    the snare wires that were on it said "new era" made in england so i dont know if they're origional or not. i dont know much about vintage drums.

its 10 lug btw.

pics to follow in a sec...
    James

hmmm when i try to put a picture up it doesnt seem to work.

-manage attatchments-browse-click on the image-upload and then it just says page canmnot be displayed.
    any suggestions on how to proceed?

Comment

just copy the image link.

paste, then put img codes on each side
      My pdp kit

My New Snare!!!

Comment

i have no idea what any of that meant. the pics are on my computer if that has anything to do with it. i know nothing about computers.

Comment

put it on photobucket
          My pdp kit

My New Snare!!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

incase it cant be made out the ludwig badge just reads "ludwig"-then the air hole then underneath says "ludwig drum co-chicago USA" if i remember rightly anyway, i dont have the drum with me at the moment. its also a 14x5 and i'm pretty sure its pre serial number
                        Last edited by drummer_james; 04-08-2007, 10:15 AM.

Comment

It's a 1960's Lugwig Supraphonic. They are great drums and easily the most recorded snare drum ever.

The best thing to do is to totally take it apart and clean it. Remove all of the hardware and get rid of the rust. Do not use steel wool on the shells, lugs or hoops. There should be some info in the First Aid section on cleaning them, or do a search.

There will probably be a date stamped inside the shell. DO NOT CLEAN OFF the date.

Value will depend on how well you clean it up. Good luck. It can be a great sounding drum.
                          60's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16; Club Date - OBP 20-12-14, 14; OBP - 20,12,14
                          Gretsch USA Walnut 18x16 bass x 2, 22-12-13-14-16; Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22; RN2 - 24, 13, 16
                          Gretsch 60's RB kit in Red Glass Glitter – 20-12-14-14
                          FOR SALE: Pearl WMP Fiberglass 14-16-16 toms

Comment

wow thanks. at the moment i dont have a nice sounding snare so i think i'll keep it. a drum teacher of mine erik stams told me that there was a certain snare (showed me on ebay) that would be fantastic and very recordable. i think this is the one he showed me but wanted to make sure. also i'm a piano technician/restorer so i'll be able to clean it up nicely. would i be able to get another throw off for it becuase i have a feeling that the one on there has snaped where the lever connects to the bit that holds the snares.
                            Last edited by drummer_james; 04-08-2007, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drummer_james
                              wow thanks. at the moment i dont have a nice sounding snare so i think i'll keep it. a drum teacher of mine erik stams told me that there was a certain snare (showed me on ebay) that would be fantastic and very recordable. i think this is the one he showed me but wanted to make sure. also i'm a piano technician/restorer so i'll be able to clean it up nicely. would i be able to get another throw off for it becuase i have a feeling that the one on there has snaped where the lever connects to the bit that holds the snares.
                              You definitely can replace the snare strainer (throw off). That one is an P83. The later ones were P85. I'm pretty sure those were the part numbers. I would recommend trying to get an SF83 as the first choice to keep the drum with era parts. The P85 holes should be the same as the P83.

By the way, you have the ball and bat type muffler, so that is probably early-mid 60's is the best I can narrow it down. There is website that carries a rough approximation of production years of Ludwig drums using the serial numbers. If you google it or search on here, you should be able to find it. That should help you narrow it down.

You should be able to get it looking and sounding sweet. Good luck.
                              60's Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16; Club Date - OBP 20-12-14, 14; OBP - 20,12,14
                              Gretsch USA Walnut 18x16 bass x 2, 22-12-13-14-16; Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22; RN2 - 24, 13, 16
                              Gretsch 60's RB kit in Red Glass Glitter – 20-12-14-14
                              FOR SALE: Pearl WMP Fiberglass 14-16-16 toms

Comment

Working...
                              X