Greatest Timpanist Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Timpanist Ever

So who was/is the greatest timpanist of all time? Goodman? Schwar? Duff? Firth? Rabbio? Komst? give me a list and we'll start a survey:
    Shawn Lafrenz
    Pearl Corporation Education Division
    Senior Marketing Manager
    Concert / Adams Product Manager

Start with Firth, Hinger and Goodman. Three names who are generally considered giants and who adamantly disagreed with each other in almost all areas of the instrument and approach.
    "Amateurs practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."

Support the artists, buy music.

Member:
    Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
    American Federation of Musicians
    Percussive Arts Society
    Vic Firth Education Team

Comment

I would say, Cloyd Duff, Fred Hinger, Saul Goodman, Roland Kohloff and Vic Firth.

How about people that are playing or teaching currently?

John Tafoya and Tim Genis also spring to mind.
      "I don't give advice. Professionals don't need it and amatuers won't listen." - Vida Chenoweth

Comment

In my opinion it's Cloyd Duff. I'm also a fan of Richard Weiner, Tom Freer and Tim Adams if you want to talk about current players. Vic Firth is a legend for many reasons, but as a player only, I would take the names above.
        My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

Comment

Some time ago, I attended a clinic with David Gross, timpanist with the Grand Rapids Symphony. He played excerpts from "Le Sacre du Printemps"....he was barely touching the drums and this amazing sound was coming out of them. I have a set of the mallets that he used to make before he sold the mallet making operation to Black Swamp. Still great mallets. Great modern timpanist.
          Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
          Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
          Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
          Rogers: 13-16-22
          Yamaha, Tama, snares
          Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

David Gross is an excellent player... and a pretty nice guy too! I also like his mallets. Good call drummaman1!
            My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Comment

I studied with 2 Goodman students (one of whom was Kohloff) and one Hinger student -- also with Fred Noak, who didn't get as much recognition because he was a generation ahead and played with the Met instead of a symphony. I'd have to give the pedestal to Goodman, for setting the bar, defining the role, and leaving a legacy of students in principal chairs all over the country.
              www.carolinadrumworks.com

On Facebook at:
              www.facebook.com/Carolina.Drumworks

Comment

ME! Look for my work with the Staten Island Technical High School Concert Band.

I am sure you've heard of them... But in all seriousness I go with Firth or Goodman
                My Emerald Fade 6 piece MMX (updated pics on page 9)

My Tama Re-finishing thread

[URL=http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=179551My snares[/URL] (Brand spankin NEW!!!)

My crazy KEYTAR skills

"Every one pities the weak. Jealousy, you have to earn." - Arnold Schwartzeneger

Comment

How about Shawn Lafrenz??? He's a LEGEND in the Quad Cities and Cedar Rapids!!!

Comment

Vic Firth, no contest
                    Freshman year-2nd Bass
                    Sophomore Year- Snare
                    Junior- Snare Captain

Comment

Timpani is not like drum set....duh

we don't have "Modern Timpanist" magazine, so we can know who's the creme de la creme. I went to school with some AMAZING timpanists. All the symphony orchestras in Europe and Asia have BAD-A*S timpanists.

Guys like Goodman and Firth laid the groundwork, though.
                      Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
                      Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
                      Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
                      Rogers: 13-16-22
                      Yamaha, Tama, snares
                      Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

Originally posted by drummaman1
                        Timpani is not like drum set....duh

we don't have "Modern Timpanist" magazine, so we can know who's the creme de la creme...
                        Interestingly enough, there actually was a short lived magazine called Modern Percussionist that was produced by the people at Modern Drummer. I believe that they decided that they couldn't compete with the PAS publications.
                        "Amateurs practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong."

Support the artists, buy music.

Member:
                        Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
                        American Federation of Musicians
                        Percussive Arts Society
                        Vic Firth Education Team

Comment

WOW I DIDNT KNOW THERE WAS A TIMPANI SECTION
                          but in any event all great players, but to me i consider the greats to be people who i know or see. Sure the famous and well known are of course excellent players, but i narrow the scope a bit. I remember at a mixed practice with our band and rcc, rcc was warming up and their tympinist(yes it was marching timpani so it was a bit different than concert) was just fiddling around, o man he was so incredible. I don't really know his name, but he was very good.
                          My Sessions-7 piece sbx

hey I'm looking to BUY some drums pearl sessions SBX preferably in storm cloud, but any other finish will work (if the sizes are right). if you have any info on where I could get some drums for PM me

Comment

Originally posted by CharacterZer0
                            Vic Firth, no contest
                            Well, again, it depends... are we talking about "chops" or "influence" on timpani? This happens a lot with set players... you get people trying to compare Virgil Donati with John Bonham. Having technical chops and being a great player or a huge influence on other musicians do not always go hand in hand. Many of the drummers with the best chops are unknown to most of the general public... but EVERYBODY knows Ringo! It's the same with timpani. Tim Adams has some of the best timpani chops ever (go to the Duff Class if you don't believe me) but he's not as famous or as influential as a guy like Vic Firth.

Comment

Timpani "chops" are irrelevant. It's about musicianship.
                              www.carolinadrumworks.com

On Facebook at:
                              www.facebook.com/Carolina.Drumworks

Comment

Working...
                              X