Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you HAVE a timpani in your drumset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timpani are extremely expensive. even for low class drums. My parents offered to buy me a set of 2 until they saw the price.

Comment

Originally posted by drummaman1
      A good set of timpani is going to cost about $1000 for two drums. I'm a hammered copper bowl fan myself.

Yes, heads for timpani are expensive. But, it works out for the amount of time a head is actually on the timpani (1-2 years should be the norm; most schools though??? They won't change the heads unless they're broken or welted, and even if they're welted, if they still sound ok they'll keep them on !!!!)

Finally, if you have trouble with loading a 22 or 24 bass drum, GOOD LUCK with loading a 26 and/or 29 timpani!!!! The cases only cover the top, and though they go over the drum a little bit, there are no full cover cases for timpani...

...watch me eat my words...

Anyway, even though timpani have casters, they are not meant to move around a lot, i.e. touring. It's not to say you can't do it, as many touring orchestras do (there are touring orchestras, right??), but timpani are best not moved around too much.

So, after all that, and the cargo van that you will have to buy to cart them in, you can have timpani!!!
      Sorry drummaman, start eating. www.classiccases.net made our timpani cases. They are completely enclosed and shock mounted. They were expensive as crap but well worth it. They also made a custom mixer box I designed that holds effects, wireless mics, amps, accessories and everything else. They're also working on a road case to hold our concert band backline. Another one I personally designed.
      RBH Monarch Drums in Merlot Sparkle
      RBH Westwood Drums in Green Sparkle

Comment

Originally posted by adzbro
        thread starter.

get better cymbals first. please
        Oh heck yeah. MalletKat and Timpini would be some of my last purchases.

I'm starting to up grade my cymbals now. Saving for the Black Friday sale in hopes to pick up an AA RBDR, and hopefully a crash or too. (I can't get the hi-hats I want at my GC. Going for a pair of Saludas).
        I love when my cymbals talk dirty to me.
        Tama Swingstar
        My Ocean Sparkle Kit
        My Ebay
        Currently After: 8x7, 16x13, & 20x18 MMX Ocean Sparkle w/ Satin Hardware - Please PM if you found some!!

Comment

I love how even in the "Concert" section, the discussion is still focused on drumset!!! Oh well, what can you do???
          My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

Comment

Originally posted by drummaman1
            Anyway, even though timpani have casters, they are not meant to move around a lot, i.e. touring. It's not to say you can't do it, as many touring orchestras do (there are touring orchestras, right??), but timpani are best not moved around too much.

So, after all that, and the cargo van that you will have to buy to cart them in, you can have timpani!!!
            hop into the world or drum corp or marching band, those timpani sure do move, and very often
            My Sessions-7 piece sbx

hey I'm looking to BUY some drums pearl sessions SBX preferably in storm cloud, but any other finish will work (if the sizes are right). if you have any info on where I could get some drums for PM me

Comment

...the singular form of timpani is timpano...2 timpani, 1 timpano

not that it has any relevance...but just sayin...basic italian...
              Ummm...not...pidgeons....

Comment

Originally posted by THSdrummer
                I would really love to get a 23" maybe a 26" as well along with a marimba and malletKat. You would have so many more optitions with this. I know I've seen a drumset with 1 maybe 2 timpani, but I can't remember which forum or group I saw it on .
                john bonham had two or ?three? timpanies
                mapex pro m ice blue
                14x14
                16x16
                18x16
                24x18

Vp sig 14x8
                CP 14x6.5
                tama 12x3
                Black panther 13x6

meinl 19" souncaster powerful crash
                22" zildjian earth ride
                14" b8 pro hi hats
                13" agazarian splash
                16" agazarian crash

Comment

I believe he used 2 timpani in his set up. Usually a 29" and a 32" Ludwig.
                  My One-Of-A-Kind Masters Premium BRP in #197: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=216550

Pearl - Ludwig - Zildjian - Sabian - Remo - Evans - Vic Firth

Comment

I own a pair of timpani but I'd never use them on my set

Comment

Originally posted by David Hollywood View Post
                      ^Dude seriously? I can't say Moby D I C K??? Seriously??? What kind of drummer's forum is this???
                      yeah, but you can call someone retarded now - it's utterly daft.
                      Originally posted by dwdrummer1991
                      And I don't care if you don't like my drumming. I challenge anyone on this forum to a drum-off right now! I have played so long and studied so many different genres of music that I am absolutely proficient with pretty much anything I choose to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X