Genera Dry heads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genera Dry heads...

Okay well I searched and read but I still have questions.

I just wanna know the difference between Genera Dry, HD Dry, and ST Dry.

From what I can gather:

Genera Dry: G1 with less ring. Relatively versatile. Nice crack. Pretty sensitive.

HD Dry: More durable. Allows a touch more ring.

ST Dry: Even more durable. Leaves some ring. Beastly rimshot.

??

I want to get rid of the nasty overtones. But I do like a touch ring left to accent the snare. I definately want crack. Sensitivity is not my priority, but some is nice. I do like nice rimshots. Which of those three you think would be best? Or maybe a different kind?
    The Band.

The EPIARCH.

:)

check out www.evansdrumheads.com they have a chart that will help you pick the perfect heads. but from my own use the Hd dry is a two ply with muffle ring, is a somewhat dark and muted head, gets rid of alot of the overtones. the ST dry is much brighter and more open, gives a real "natural" sound to the drum.

Comment

I have a ST dry on a steel snare...
      there are little holes 1 inch from the rim all around the head...
      they let air out to give a quick attack

ST stands for super tough...so i guess if you're gonna play heavy stuff this may be the best choice

Get a catalogue...it'll tell u everything

P.S. Oh yeah...I also have a studio ring on the snare...the result is pretty nice, quick attack and still a hint of ring to even out the sound

Comment

I tried a Genera Dry on my Classic Maple snare and it choked the life out of it. I switched to an Aquarian Hi-Energy and never looked back.

I think those heads would probably be better suited to a metal snare That had a lot of ring to it. On a wooden shell (at least in the case of my Ludwig CM snare) it was just too dead.
        My Pearl EX kit. Fistfuls of kittens for all.
        My Mapex Black Panther 14x5.5 Hammered Series Brass Snare.
        My Ludwig 14x6.5 Classic Maple snare.

Originally posted by spikeman23
        A 7x14 could be just as versatile as a 6.5x14 it's only one inch difference.

Comment

what would be good for a brass snare? i'm thinking g2 at the moment, maybe an HD dry?

Comment

What would you guys recommend for a wood ELX snare? From what I've read I'm leaning towards HD dry and Hazy 300 for the reso, but I'm not sure.
            My 2008 Reference Kit: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=209481

My 2006 Export Kit: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...5&pp=12&page=4

Comment

I've tried the dries. At lower tensions, they are dead and "thuddy." At higher tensions, you can get good pop out of them -- but they will ring just like any normal single- or double-ply head. I went back to a Remo Ambassador batter head because, at the tunings I want, there's not a lot of difference.
              FlashBazbo

Comment

The Genera and Genera-dry are singles with a tone ring; and have the best tone and sensitivity. The HD and ST and 2-plys plus a tone ring and are VERY dry and insensitive.
                Goodbye....

Comment

the ST dry should get rid of most ring. I have one on my Musashi.
                  Pearl MCX
                  Tama Starclassic Performer
                  Gretcsh Catalina Jazz
                  Roland TD-20S
                  Vic Firth
                  Evans/Aquarian
                  Sabian/Zildjian/Paiste/Bosphorus

Comment

I would go with a Powercenter or G1 for that snare of yours... it will sound sick
                    My Kits-

Reference 4pc Setup

Reference Kit-

My Homebuilt kit..

Want to trade my 22x18 Granite Sparkle Bass drum for 20x18 Granite Sparkle. Hit me up :D

Comment

Originally posted by sgt1371
                      the ST dry should get rid of most ring. I have one on my Musashi.
                      The ST dry will give the most ring, look at the chart i posted. The HD dry will give the least ring.

Comment

and make it sound dead in the process...
                        My Kits-

Reference 4pc Setup

Reference Kit-

My Homebuilt kit..

Want to trade my 22x18 Granite Sparkle Bass drum for 20x18 Granite Sparkle. Hit me up :D

Comment

genera dry is best! its what ive got and sounds incredible with my equalizer snares
                          7-Piece Double Bass BRX!
                          The critics are raving: "Pure hotness. One of the nicest kits on here."-Fran, "F*ckin Beautiful"-NevDRUM, "Amazing!!! HOLY SHINIKES!"-rushofblood2112, "Gorgeous kit and setup"-DeadSkinMask, "Beautiful!"-drmrman, "absolutely awesome!"-AL PERCIVAL

Comment

g1 - 10mil single ply, most open and natural sound

genera - same as g1 but has floating tone ring underneath head to slightly cut back sustain.

genera dry - same as genera but also has little dry vents (holes) around the circumference of the head. gives a slightly more "dry" sound.

g2 - 14mil double ply, a little fatter and punchier than g1, less sustain

hd - same as g2 but with floating tone ring underneath, less sustain

hd dry - same as hd but with dry vents, less sustain again

st - same as hd but slightly thicker

st dry - same as hd dry but slightly thicker.
                            2003 Pearl Export-Jet Black/Chrome Hardware 22x18,10x8,12x9,16x14
                            13x4 Pearl Masters Snare:6 ply Maple,Liquid Amber Finish-Tamo
                            Sabian AAX/HHX Cymbals
                            Pearl Pedals/Hardware,Aquarian Heads

http://media.putfile.com/drums-sound-sample
                            http://media.putfile.com/cymbals-sound-sample

Comment

Originally posted by soundmanLPTE
                              Okay well I searched and read but I still have questions.

I just wanna know the difference between Genera Dry, HD Dry, and ST Dry.

From what I can gather:

Genera Dry: G1 with less ring. Relatively versatile. Nice crack. Pretty sensitive.

HD Dry: More durable. Allows a touch more ring.

ST Dry: Even more durable. Leaves some ring. Beastly rimshot.

??

I want to get rid of the nasty overtones. But I do like a touch ring left to accent the snare. I definately want crack. Sensitivity is not my priority, but some is nice. I do like nice rimshots. Which of those three you think would be best? Or maybe a different kind?

It goes like this from most muffled to most open, belive it or not-

HD Dry is the most muffled, 2 ply, vents, plastic ring inside
                              Genera Dry is second to that, with a single ply, and vents and a plastic ring
                              The ST Dry is more open then those 2, with just a slightly thicker 2 ply, but with only the vents and no plastic ring.

I would suggest that for a wood snare, the ST Dry, as it is still sensitive, but cuts out high overtones somewhat, and has a loud crack.

For a metal snare, go with a Genera Dry, it's best suited for these snares, as it chokes wood snares too much. It will leave some tone on a metal snare (such as brass or steel), but cut out the high annoying ring associated with them.

The HD Dry is just a more muffled version of the Genera Dry, use it if you want less tone, more crack, and more durability.
                              C&C/Istanbul Agop

Comment

Working...
                              X