14x6 vs. 14x8 Tama G Maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14x6 vs. 14x8 Tama G Maple

Hey all, I'm looking into the tama g maple's for my future snare purchase after Christmas and I was looking for some advice on the sound character of both the 14x6 and the 14x8. I searched a while back and pulled up a few threads about the G maple and came up with the the 14x8 is a cannon, but is it too big? Do you think the 14x8 would be out of character for softer music or just moderate or alternative rock? Can't recall what thread or forum member it was, because the search isn't working right now but, someone had said the 14x8 was too deep for them and either switched it for the 14x6 or considered switching.

Any advice and opinions is helpfull

Cheers

Pearl | Zildjian | Aquarian | Vic Firth

I say go for 14x6... Its MUCH more versatile, IMO...

I could be wrong, but I think the member youre thinking of that switched from 14x8 to 14x6 was Rico... (Ricohorton)

Then again, Broken Cymbal1 has a 14x8 Cherry Black, and loves it... I just think the 14x8 size would be too big for many general applications...
    Try them both out if you can, then decide...
    Originally posted by ttaM
    jamfelt is a way of life. it's its own culture.

Comment

what ever sound you like go for it, just hit easier for soft music, versitlity is a stupid thing in my opinion, if it sounds good who cares what music your playing.
      PDP, Sabian, Vic Firth...

but i wish it was Starclassic, Zildjian, and Sig Vic Firth...

some day.

Comment

personally, i like th 8x14 better.
        sigpic
        im 12 and what is this

Comment

Originally posted by Stumprrp
          what ever sound you like go for it, just hit easier for soft music, versitlity is a stupid thing in my opinion, if it sounds good who cares what music your playing.
          I agree, that is true to an extant...
          But you cant deny that certain drums just tend to generally sound and work better for certain environments/musical settings...
          I know what you mean tho...

Comment

Your best bet would be to compare the two sizes side by side in the store. Some 8"x14" snares might sound too big for what you want, while others (perhaps the G-Maple) might actually be very versatile. Likewise, some 6"x14" snares might sound too shallow and others might be just right.
            Dutch: What happened to him?
            Vic: He came at me. He was unarmed. I took him down old school.
            Dutch: Old as in medieval?

The Shield

Comment

That's a great piece a advice.
              anyway, we just have to remember that the sound in the shop wont be the sound at home. If a snare seems too "bright" or too "high pitched", an external muffler could change a lotta things.
              Anyway, you make me wanna know more about 14*8!
              does s.o know if pearl still maked some that are not MW?
              http://www.myspace.com/stonecircusmusic
              nihongo dekiru? (kora, ro-maji sika utenai)

Comment

Originally posted by Lupa
                That's a great piece a advice.
                anyway, we just have to remember that the sound in the shop wont be the sound at home. If a snare seems too "bright" or too "high pitched", an external muffler could change a lotta things.
                Anyway, you make me wanna know more about 14*8!
                does s.o know if pearl still maked some that are not MW?
                I dont think there are any stock snares still made in 14x8. You can, however, special order FF snares in 14x8... long wait time tho...

And I believe the Vinnie Paul Signature snare, probably coming out this year at NAMM, is also a 14x8...
                I could be wrong tho...

Comment

Ooh, so Vinnie has finaly designed a snare with pearl?
                  hmm: "well, i need real power, you know. I dont really care if the sound sucks, i always use triggers. anyway, it could be cool to make a 14*8, 45ply maple shell, dont you think so? "
                  http://www.myspace.com/stonecircusmusic
                  nihongo dekiru? (kora, ro-maji sika utenai)

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzle
                    Hey all, I'm looking into the tama g maple's for my future snare purchase after Christmas and I was looking for some advice on the sound character of both the 14x6 and the 14x8. I searched a while back and pulled up a few threads about the G maple and came up with the the 14x8 is a cannon, but is it too big? Do you think the 14x8 would be out of character for softer music or just moderate or alternative rock? Can't recall what thread or forum member it was, because the search isn't working right now but, someone had said the 14x8 was too deep for them and either switched it for the 14x6 or considered switching.

Any advice and opinions is helpfull

Cheers
                    you're DAMN right it's a cannon!! that thing will knock your socks off if you don't have them on right but if it's softer/alternative rock that you're going for...i'd suggest the artwood because the g-maple in general...CUTS and....BOOM!!!
                    Originally posted by D_RUM_MER_726
                    I say go for 14x6... Its MUCH more versatile, IMO...

I could be wrong, but I think the member youre thinking of that switched from 14x8 to 14x6 was Rico... (Ricohorton)

Then again, Broken Cymbal1 has a 14x8 Cherry Black, and loves it... I just think the 14x8 size would be too big for many general applications...
                    Try them both out if you can, then decide...
                    actually, you're right. i find that it would fit with "IN YOUR FACE-I'M GOING TO DECK YOU" kind of music.
                    sigpic
                    TRINITY

Comment

Originally posted by broken_cymbal1
                      actually, you're right. i find that it would fit with "IN YOUR FACE-I'M GOING TO DECK YOU" kind of music.
                      hahhaha... excellent...

I'm probably gonna end up with a 14x6 model eventually... but I dont know, with the list of snares I plan to eventually own, I dont have a specific snare I would like for "IN YOUR FACE-I'M GOING TO DECK YOU" , lol... type of music...

Sounds like its just what you'd need to complete the full spectrum ...

Comment

Originally posted by D_RUM_MER_726
                        hahhaha... excellent...

I'm probably gonna end up with a 14x6 model eventually... but I dont know, with the list of snares I plan to eventually own, I dont have a specific snare I would like for "IN YOUR FACE-I'M GOING TO DECK YOU" , lol... type of music...

Sounds like its just what you'd need to complete the full spectrum ...
                        well..you never know because if you've ever heard that beast..omg...the PUNCH is overwhelming and...you can help but to love it. if one weren't careful..it could bite your manhood off LOL
                        sigpic
                        TRINITY

Comment

14x8's are very one dimentional for really only hard rock type of situations, if having a slow, LOUD snare then that is what you want, even 14x6's snares are pretty slow for the most part, 14x5's are the best "all around" size.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that live Vinnie doesn't trigger his drums

I know that he said he triggered in the studio so he could pull more ranges from the snare to give that fat sound that all their albums had.

No need to hate on Vinnie, the guy can ****in play

Comment

I play a 14x6 G Maple and it's a great drum. I highly recommend it. I wouldn't mind playing a 14x8, but not with a 22" Kick. I used to play a 14x8 Tama Artwood and loved it. But that was with a monster 80's era Tama Superstar kit when that was the norm.

Comment

Working...
                              X