looking for new snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for new snare

Hey everyone, I currently have an ELX 14" snare. I'm wanting to upgrade to a metal or even a titanium snare. I'd like it to be either a 13" or 14"......and have that deep yet poppy snare sound. Any tips on what kind of snare to get.......or should I just keep the ELX and get new snare wires?

new snare or maybe ya heads are just worn down ...... how long ya been playing ?
    Pearl - The Best Reason To Join A Forum

Tama ¦ Pearl ¦ Epiarch ¦ Remo / Evans ¦ Pro Mark ¦ Some Cymbals

Comment

I been playin for 8 years.......just got this export kit in january of this year. I have a Remo Clear ambassador as resonant head, and a coated pinstripe as batter. I wanted a smooth white emporer as the batter but it was all the store had and I had a gig that nite so I had to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by adamsara0507
        Hey everyone, I currently have an ELX 14" snare. I'm wanting to upgrade to a metal or even a titanium snare. I'd like it to be either a 13" or 14"......and have that deep yet poppy snare sound. Any tips on what kind of snare to get.......or should I just keep the ELX and get new snare wires?
        if youre looking for a nice metal snare with a deep and poppy sound, i would recommend checking out the following:

Pearl Brass FF(not tuned tightly)
        Mapex Black panther Hand Hammered
        Potyondi
        Dunnett
        Ludwig Black Beauty
        Pork Pie Black Beauty
        Ludwig Acrolite(would be a nice snare for a cheaper cost)
        I play with strings and sticks.

Comment

I'd love to get a Dunnett Titanium............but I sure don't have that kind of money for a snare right now although I guess I could always save a little more lol

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dunnett-13x6-5-R...QQcmdZViewItem

here's one that would give the sound you're looking for

Comment

go down to your local music store and try out what they have in stock, you will be able to find the perfect snare for yourself there.

Comment

i think you actually got one cool idea: to change the snare wires. it's a lot cheaper and might satisfy you. it's not garanteed, though.

if you want the "can't go wrong" choice, 2 options:

1) go for a regular pearl sensitone, they are very versatile, sound great and don't cost as much as as signature one or not even close to a titanium one (i actually never heard a titanium snare, what does it sound like?)

2) try to find an old ludwig metal snare (that's what i'd do) they are quite cheap compared to those new top ones and sound amazing (imagine joe morello's snare sound or imagine john bonham's snare sound)

the most important thing is actually playing it before buying, to make sure that it is what you're looking for.

hope to have helped and good luck on finding it

edited part: change the batter head!!! get some g2 instead of emperors. they sound better.
                Last edited by candersen; 12-02-2005, 01:09 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

I would recommend the Pork Pie black brass..... i played it a few times, kinda the sound you looking for, and cheap too!!

but i mean, if you can afford a titanium snare, $$ should be no object to you.... unless you don't know how much those go for...
                  ZILDJIANS FOR LIFE!!
                  R.I.P my Tama Rockstars... lookin' for new kit~
                  BRX or Yamaha Birch/Maple Absolute???
                  I want Gold hardware :(

Comment

I'd recommend the Black Dawg over the Pork Pie black beauty snare. www.leecustom.com
                    ISO drums!!- IC pedal, Quickbeats, 16" A custom projector, 17" A med thin, K custom ride, 20" A med ride
                    DW collectors, Tama SLP G bubinga, Yama oak custom, and Ludwig Acrolite snares

Comment

Yes, Pork Pie Black Brass is definitley the snare your after.
                      LAWL

Comment

Pearl Brass 6.5 Sensitone.
                        You'll have the depth, more bright than your ELX, but not too much.
                        Metal would give you too much and won't have as much of your deep tone.
                        The beauty with brass is that you have good volume, good crack, and good tone. All is at par and one is not over compensating for the other.
                        In other words versatile. Plus they look cool and they aren't too expensive.

Comment

I've always liked the old Ludwig metal snares like the one every school in America has

Comment

Originally posted by steelerkiss
                            Pearl Brass 6.5 Sensitone.
                            You'll have the depth, more bright than your ELX, but not too much.
                            Metal would give you too much and won't have as much of your deep tone.
                            The beauty with brass is that you have good volume, good crack, and good tone. All is at par and one is not over compensating for the other.
                            In other words versatile. Plus they look cool and they aren't too expensive.
                            I have the 14"x5" Pearl Brass Free Floater. Same as the sensitone I find except a little more resonance is given due to the free floating design. Either free floating or sensitone would do nicely I'm sure.

<<College Achievement Drum Checklist>>

Pearl Brass 14"x5" Free Floater :D
                            Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Right Pedal :D
                            Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Left Pedal :confused:
                            Pearl SMX924-HP #296 :confused: :confused: :confused:

See GIR drumming!!!

Comment

Originally posted by adamsara0507
                              I been playin for 8 years.......just got this export kit in january of this year. I have a Remo Clear ambassador as resonant head, and a coated pinstripe as batter. I wanted a smooth white emporer as the batter but it was all the store had and I had a gig that nite so I had to get it.
                              bingo... I've never liked a pinstripe on a snare batter... and yes, I've tried. I've got a coated pinstripe on my 24" Ludwig bass, and I've used them on toms to get a dead sound with few overtones, but on snares they're just too thick to get a good sound. Try an evans genera dry or hd or sd dry. The genera's one ply, the hd's 2 med. thick plys and the sd dry is two pretty thick plys. The thicker the head they dryer the sound. If you want more ring to it, go with a regular genera g1 or a remo ambassador.

Comment

Working...
                              X