Evans muffling thingy at NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evans muffling thingy at NAMM

Looks funky, wonder how good it would work.

More importantly, why would you want to muffle your snare drum?!?!
    "We're all given a ticket to the American freak show the day we're born and some people, they put their ticket away. Me, I watch the show."-- George Carlin

Comment

well some people cant stand all that annoying ring, not matter how good u tune it, it doesnt go away. thus muffling comes into effect heh. i feel like to O rings muffle my snare to much, maybe these new muffler things might be the trick
      www.lastperfection.com

Comment

Originally posted by lastperfection
        well some people cant stand all that annoying ring, not matter how good u tune it, it doesnt go away. thus muffling comes into effect heh. i feel like to O rings muffle my snare to much, maybe these new muffler things might be the trick
        what he said

Comment

I usually find a single peice of Moongel does the trick.

"When life gives you llamas, make llamanade!"

http://mox.proboards9.com

:D

Comment

I agree with Flipkid....let the real character of the drum show. Cursed be those who muffle snares, especially DW Engraved Brass snares (eh PSX?)
            http://www.rmmpnet.org/members/stavis/banner%20copy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by stavis
              I agree with Flipkid....let the real character of the drum show. Cursed be those who muffle snares, especially DW Engraved Brass snares (eh PSX?)
              Hehe. Actually (and you're going to kill me for this) I used to have an Evans HD Dry with a piece of Moongel on the brass, but then I opened it up with a G1. I'm really looking into putting a Fybreskyn 3 on it. Man, that'd be sweet. I still don't want total ring though, it's just not what I like to hear in a snare. To each his own.

"When life gives you llamas, make llamanade!"

http://mox.proboards9.com

:D

Comment

yeah man, whatever boats your float. i was just messin around anyway. i know a guy who used 2 plastic donuts, and a wallet taped on to the head of a 6x13 40-ply maple snare. everybody has different tastes, you can't knock someone because they like somethin different.
                http://www.rmmpnet.org/members/stavis/banner%20copy.jpg

Comment

I have yet to find a situation where Moon Gel did'nt work to solve it.
                  FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
                  http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

Comment

hahaha that picture looks funny for some reason
                    "Silly rabbit Trix are for kids!"
                    -The Kids

"They're Greeeeeeeeat!"
                    -Tony the Tiger

"They're all after me lucky charms!"
                    -The lucky charms lepruchan

Comment

Moon Gels

Slipknot is right........... Moon Gels rule.

I actually cut mine in half and 1/4 'cause I really don't muffle my drums all that much.

1/4 Gel sort of EQ's the toms cutting some of the overtones without cutting the volume.

You have total INSTANT control with a Moon Gel.
                      SMOKE
                      NW Blues Artist
                      www.bluesattitude.com
                      www.saludacymbals.com
                      www.soundseat.com

Comment

I have a really ringy Yamaha steel snare that rang like crazy. I tried an Evans ST Dry head head--NG. I tried Moongel, but it didn't really seem to work, unless I had three pieces on the head. Then I tried an Aquarian Studio Ring, and the problem cleared right up--without killing the drum.

I agree about the Fiberskyn idea, and was thinking about it, but the Studio Ring works so well, I'm happy with my coated Ambassador.
                        cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

Comment

Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
                          I have yet to find a situation where Moon Gel did'nt work to solve it.
                          gRRR wish i could find a place in sydney (or just in australia) that sells then

Comment

iscarr,

BillyHydes Music here in Melbourne sells moongel. I'm sure BillyHydes Music Sydney would have some too. If they don't ask them to bring a pack or two up from Melbbourne. I've gotten things brought down from Sydney which they did not have in Melbourne, so it's do-able from BillyHydes.

They have very high standards in customer service.
                            Take Care N God Bless.
                            elmo:cool:

Tama Drums, Hardware and Pedals
                            Zildjian Cymbals
                            Remo Drum Heads
                            Vic Firth Drumsticks and Mallets
                            Vic Firth Education Team

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FAHREN...6424206?ref=ts

www.dalsegnostudios.com.au

Comment

in regards to the mufling thing that evans have brought out... i think it works similar to what Dave Weckle is using. The way it works is that it kinda bobs up and down when the head is hit.

try this with your finger.. put your finger close to the rim of the snare, then strike the head-lifting your finger just when the stick hits the head - then drop your finger down on the head again. it controls the ring and overtones without killing it completely. Dave Weckle showed his 'prototype' muffling thing in one of his videos... you guys may have seen it.
                              Take Care N God Bless.
                              elmo:cool:

Tama Drums, Hardware and Pedals
                              Zildjian Cymbals
                              Remo Drum Heads
                              Vic Firth Drumsticks and Mallets
                              Vic Firth Education Team

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FAHREN...6424206?ref=ts

www.dalsegnostudios.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X