Hoops on Brass Free Floater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoops on Brass Free Floater

I have a 14x6.5 brass Pearl Free Floater and I'm thinking about changing out the hoops. Has anyone replaced their free floater hoops before? The drum has very little sensitivity and I'm thinking this might be a step in opening it up.
    "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

sigpic

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

Originally posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
    I have a 14x6.5 brass Pearl Free Floater and I'm thinking about changing out the hoops. Has anyone replaced their free floater hoops before? The drum has very little sensitivity and I'm thinking this might be a step in opening it up.
    I have that snare, and have both die cast and super hoops for it. I like both for different reasons, so I plan to keep both sets.

Super hoops open up the sound drastically, they are much more open sounding, a lot more overtones and it is more sensitive. Subtle notes/lower volumes stand out more due to the increased overtones. I think the die cast are great for loud settings where you want a cutting snare that is very focused and sharp. The super hoops are more versatile and work in any setting where you want a fuller range of sounds.

If you want to try it with minimal investment, just change the batter hoop first to see how you like it. The bottom hoop will make a slight difference as well, but it is very minimal. The majority of the change come from changing just the batter hoop.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LDdrummer View Post
      I have that snare, and have both die cast and super hoops for it. I like both for different reasons, so I plan to keep both sets.

Super hoops open up the sound drastically, they are much more open sounding, a lot more overtones and it is more sensitive. Subtle notes/lower volumes stand out more due to the increased overtones. I think the die cast are great for loud settings where you want a cutting snare that is very focused and sharp. The super hoops are more versatile and work in any setting where you want a fuller range of sounds.

If you want to try it with minimal investment, just change the batter hoop first to see how you like it. The bottom hoop will make a slight difference as well, but it is very minimal. The majority of the change come from changing just the batter hoop.

Good luck!
      Thanks for the info! I'll probably take the hoop off my other snare and give it a whirl. I imagine it's a 2.3mm triple-flange. I was thinking of trying a 1.6mm since that's what the old Supraphonics used and I'd like to get close to that sound, but going from die-cast to 1.6mm might be too much of a stretch to start with.
      "Why is that mirror sneezing?"

sigpic

"Ah, look, it's just an old, creaky mirror, y'know, sometimes it sounds a little like it's sneezing, or coughing, or talking softly."

Comment

You might want to try the 3 mm. triple flanged as well. They're heavier and control the sound more while also letting the drum sing due to the triple flanges. I put some on a Sensitone 6.5" brass and they were a perfect compromise on that particular drum. The SuperHoops are great as well. Next I'm going to try 4 mm single flanged hoops but I suspect I'll be back in die cast country then. Too many choises!

Comment

Originally posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
          Free floaters have Zero sensitivity to begin with!
          Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

Comment

Originally posted by scooterdavis View Post
            Free floaters have Zero sensitivity to begin with!
            So true, COB hoops might help but the starting point is not so good....
            FS: 6.5x14 Craviotto mahogany, 8 lugs, 30deg edges, minty. $500+ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
              So true, COB hoops might help but the starting point is not so good....
              I seriously don't get the fascination with these snares. They are lifeless boxes to my ears; but to each their own!
              Mapex Saturn V in deep water ash burl: https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/a...p?albumid=1218

Comment

Originally posted by scooterdavis View Post
                I seriously don't get the fascination with these snares. They are lifeless boxes to my ears; but to each their own!
                The free-floating concept is unique, and I like how they look, but in general I have found the sound to be disappointing.
                I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

Originally posted by wsgnst View Post
                  The free-floating concept is unique, and I like how they look, but in general I have found the sound to be disappointing.
                  They do look cool, but you have to beat the living crap out of them to get any kind of sound. The mess of the drum eats all the tone and resonance; it's very counterproductive.

Comment

I guess I got a few gems then, I have yet to own a FF that is dead, boxy, and lacks sensitivity. Are they loud inherently? Oh, yeah. They fit a loud gig better than a quiet one. I have recorded several albums with them and gigged with them for over two decades now. I have never had any issues with sensitivity and openness...at least not any more than any other snare with die cast hoops. I have heard a couple that were pretty bad sounding, but that was bad head and tuning choices.

Snare sound is just a preference...I don't like the sound of Joyful Noise or DW snares, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

I have a 8x14 ff that I love. It';s very sensitive and has a super wide tuning range. about 10 years or so ago, i swapped out the die cast for wood hoops. opened the drum right up. much more sensitive and the weight difference is really dramatic. I used the gibraltar hoops. They slipped right around the throw unit. I also swapped out the wood shell for an aftermarket aluminum shell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alum1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	5199530
                      [SIGPIC]

Comment

dnice...that snare is monstrous and gorgeous at the same time!

I also swap out the hoops between die cast and triple flanged on my FFs, depending on the sound I am after and the gig I am using it in. Each has their place

Comment

I have an original issue of the 6.5" steel shell which didn't come with the extra adjustment opposite the throw-off. They also came with Super Hoops instead of the cast hoops which were standard on the other various shell models.
                          But, sensitivity? Forget about it! Back in the 90's I had a friend sit in at a gig and in one tap he was like, "Are you kidding me? This is like playing Formica"!
                          I was using it at a jam not long ago and a drummer friend said as he walked up from the parking lot he thought for sure it was a 402.
                          The old free floaters rocked and still do!

Comment

Working...
                          X